Why are Skoda so useless?

Hi All,

Just got to rant about my latest experience with Skoda.

Took my car to a dealer near me (who shall remain nameless, as it's not their fault) about 4 months ago to try and get a really annoying rattle sorted out. The dealer worked out it was the drivers side B-trim, and ordered the parts. At the same time, I asked them to work out why there were ghosts in my Columbus unit, as it keeps switching itself on. It usually does it whilst I'm driving, but I've even had it happen after locking the car. It was the usual story, no fault found on the diagnostics, so nothing they can do.

3 months goes by, and the part finally comes in. I take the car to the dealer for it to be fitted and also ask them to try and re-code the car so that my parking sensor switch allows me to control the front and rear sensors independently. I know this can be done, as several members here have cars that work that way. I also ask them to look again at the Columbus unit, as it's now taken to turning itself on at maximum volume, which is f**king scary when you're driving along.

It all sounds okay so far, except that the part that came in was the wrong one, the Columbus unit still says 'no fault found', and the coding information that came from Skoda Technical was useless. Firstly, the sensors work as they've always done (i.e. either all on or all off) and now my park assist is broken. When you press the button, it simply says 'Park Assist Finished' in the display and nothing else happens.

Fast forward to three days ago. The cars goes in again for the trim to be fitted, the Columbus to be replaced (they now believe me as it did it when their delivery driver was at the wheel) and the park assist to be fixed. Be done the same day, they said.

Later that day I get a call, and guess what.......

- It was still the wrong trim part.

- The replacement Columbus didn't work

- The new coding from Skoda Technical still didn't fix the park assist.

Give us another day, they said. We'll order another Columbus, we'll re-order the trim (with the correct part number) and keep trying to sort out the park assist.

Well, they've had another two days, and guess what.......

- The replacement Columbus apparently works, although I haven't tried it yet.

- The trim part that came in was still wrong, but they fitted it anyway.

- Skoda Technical don't have a clue why my park assist STILL doesn't work.

I can't really fault the dealer, as they've done their best. Their master technician has been working on the car for 3 days straight. It's the rubbish support from Skoda UK that's the problem.

How can they keep sending the wrong trim part, after the dealer has confirmed with them twice that the part number being used is for the drivers side (the passenger side part keeps arriving)?

How is it that Skoda Technical can't simply talk to the factory and give the dealer the original coding information that the car had when it was built?

Right, rant over. I feel much better now.

Bagpuss.

Just been checking the car out, and it's definitely a new Columbus as it's got the nice screen protector thingy on it.

However, they've not done the job exactly right.

The bezel surrounding the Columbus now has a really nasty scratch in it and the parking sensor display no longer appears when you engage reverse or push the button.

On the plus side, the touch screen is definitely more sensitive than on my original unit and the new screen has no dead pixels (my old one had about 5 or 6).

Not exactly much to show for 3 days of work....... :mad:

Bagpuss.

Hi All,

How can they keep sending the wrong trim part, after the dealer has confirmed with them twice that the part number being used is for the drivers side (the passenger side part keeps arriving)?

Bagpuss.

Not like you to let the blood pressure get so high ........

I had a similar sort of experience on the Mk1. It was for something to do with the window gear. They kept ordering one for the 'drivers door' - but forgot that the parts were being picked off the shelf where the drivers side is .......

Took them three tries before they clocked what was going wrong!

It 'sounds like' it might be something similar.

The Columbus on my Octy L&K packed upwithin a month of delivery from new and I had to wait a month for a replacement which was also faulty. My dealer stood by me and persevered on my behalf. The third unit has been faultless and I hope that the updated Columbus on my new superb is as good. Don't dispair as it will be all fine in the end.

Not like you to let the blood pressure get so high ........

I had a similar sort of experience on the Mk1. It was for something to do with the window gear. They kept ordering one for the 'drivers door' - but forgot that the parts were being picked off the shelf where the drivers side is .......

Took them three tries before they clocked what was going wrong!

It 'sounds like' it might be something similar.

I know. I'm usually pretty chilled about these things. Not so mad now that I've had a few days to reflect on it.

Still find it totally mind boggling that the car can be around for over a year, and still the dealerships can't work out how to code it properly. I'm not sure if it's their equipment, a lack of knowledge, or both.

I thought the Superb was going to be the first car to benefit from 'call home' coding, where the diagnostic unit could connect to the factory to ensure that the correct coding was put on the car. It doesn't seem to work very well.........

Just waiting for the dealer to confirm arrival of the correct trim panel, and then they'll be having another go at it.

Bagpuss.

Yes as pointed out, well worth the dealer making sure they are ordering a UK drivers side and not the drivers side for a left hand drive car... eg the UK passenger side ;)

Yes also agree and its down to the parts guy at the dealer to find and order the correct part.Obviously he is looking up LHD.

Morning all

Any update on the park assist problem ? I have the same thing with mine. It's got to go back to the dealer soon for the dash air vent to be replaced under warranty (only been waiting six months so far!) and I would like to get them to sort the park assist at the same time .

Jon

When i had cruise control fitted in my superb my dealer was sent the instructions for a left hand drive car there seems to be a problem with ordering parts for right hand drive cars, whether its the dealer or Skoda UK i dont know?

Not a Superb but the repeated problems with my Octavia are driving me up the wall.

Pretty much the same thing as you have found - the dealer is bending over backwards to try and resolve things to the point they are using one of their BKD equipped Octavias as a 'donor car' to try and speed things along.

Once Skoda UK and/or the factory get involved it all goes to pot. They are genuinely rubbish!