CRN Grooved or Black Diamond Drilled Discs

iantype-r

Its not standard and is running octy 312's, It does not get used hard as my wife uses in the week then at weekends when I drive I have the kids in the car, but I do like to have good brakes just incase I ever get to use them properly,

cheers ian

Edited by iantype-r

I had 288's on a fabia, and they were absolutely ****...

May i ask what pads and discs the car had on?

I've had some brands of pads on other cars that have left me standing on the brake pedal hoping it would stop.

Was there plenty of ventilation to the disc? The mk2 octy has brake cooling ducts in the front arch liners.

Now i dont know if the fabia and mk2 octy have different brake servo's or not, or if the callipers were different to what mine has "FSIII's".

But my friend says it stops harder than his 1.6 Ford Focus, i think it stops as hard as the 312mm discs and pads i had on my astra coupe turbo. It trys to lift the rear end out when really pushing them hard.

Now i've really pushed the ATE discs and pads hard doing continous stops until the point i had smoke billowing out from the alloys.

I found out i was running around 150bhp on them too and felt they were sufficient for my needs.

I can understand the original poster being concerned for his familys and his own safety, as you dont skimp on brakes in my eyes.

I just dont think there's any need for grooved or drilled discs unless your using it for track use.

If he really wanted to make sure that they were up to scratch, i would say get some performance pads and not bother with the discs.

As i've been advised to do for my car in a thread i created recently, if i started pushing the car hard on the track then i would have dot 5.1 with standard discs and a set of Ferrodo DS pads.

May i ask what pads and discs the car had on?

I've had some brands of pads on other cars that have left me standing on the brake pedal hoping it would stop.

Was there plenty of ventilation to the disc? The mk2 octy has brake cooling ducts in the front arch liners.

Now i dont know if the fabia and mk2 octy have different brake servo's or not, or if the callipers were different to what mine has "FSIII's".

Genuine OE discs and pads. Left me with a few brown trouser moments wondering if i would stop in time. Inspired no confidence whatsoever, and also had them fade on a 'brisk' drive...

Only had as much ventilation as standard, both on standard and aftermarket wheels, made no difference, although they dont have FS111 calipers...

But, to the OP, drilled and grooved discs will make no difference to a standard car. Only reason i got them is i upgraded to 312's and these were included in the price. Cant really fault them, although braking from 'higher' speeds, they do make a droaning noise. Also have drilled and grooved discs on the back, although they are only on to match the fronts, and also help keep he rear pads deglazed as my handbrake was pish :D

Since going to 312's though, never had fade once and when you hit the pedal, you know you will stop

I had 288's on a fabia, and they were absolutely ****...

Fabia 288mm are different to Octy 288mm, in that the Octy 288mm is the same pad and calliper as the 312mm.

FWIW it's not worth running grooved discs because they just eat up your pads more quickly and drilled discs often crack around the holes.

A far better bet is to run OEM discs and upgraded pads (DS2500/EBC Red Ceramic etc)

I currently run 312mm, with OEM discs and EBC Red Ceramics and have a lot more stopping power than OEM brakes.

Fair play matey, i can now understand your argument i thought they shared the same callipers.

As cheesemonkia says though, standard discs and a good set of pads....although from peoples experiences i've heard i would stay away from EBC?

Mintex Xtreme's or Ferrodo's would be my choice of pad, although i've not used them both...some of my friends have used the Mintex pads with nothing but praise for them.

The ferrodo's aren't exactly road legal are they? And i think the price reflects on how well they do perform :)

Shame the Mk2 Octy cant run 312's down to the hub configuration for the FSIII's or so i've read on the MkIv forum :(

Fair play matey, i can now understand your argument i thought they shared the same callipers.

As cheesemonkia says though, standard discs and a good set of pads....although from peoples experiences i've heard i would stay away from EBC?

Mintex Xtreme's or Ferrodo's would be my choice of pad, although i've not used them both...some of my friends have used the Mintex pads with nothing but praise for them.

The ferrodo's aren't exactly road legal are they? And i think the price reflects on how well they do perform :)

Shame the Mk2 Octy cant run 312's down to the hub configuration for the FSIII's or so i've read on the MkIv forum :(

Depends on the Octy II as some are fitted bit 288mm or 312mm ATE as standard.

The FSIII fitted to lower power variants are 280mm.

FWIW, I really do rate the EBC red as long as you're using it for road and fast road use, rather than track use. If the DS2500 and EBC were the same price then I'd go for the DS2500, but they are not.

There FSIII's unfortunately on a PD105 :(

They dont half bring you to a halt though :D

They can feel a little on and off at times, though but i think that maybe down to the slides sticking a little bit.

On the way back from collecting the car i warned/apologised to the gf in advance if she ended up being choked by the seatbelt. 20 seconds later i rolled up to the junction and ended up stabbing them on as though i was driving the omega still :(.

Many thanks for all the replys, I may go standard mintex discs, whats the best perfomance pads to go with them?

It could change though depending on what I can get hold of for the best price.

Someone said EBC Red Ceramics on oem discs, is that the best ones to go for without spending to much,

cheers ian

A far better bet is to run OEM discs and upgraded pads (DS2500/EBC Red Ceramic etc)

I currently run 312mm, with OEM discs and EBC Red Ceramics and have a lot more stopping power than OEM brakes.

DS2500 pads are horrendously expensive, which is why i settled on Redstuff ceramic pads, less than half the price

Im running 312's with D&G discs and RS pads, but only because the discs came with the calipers, otherwise it would have been OE discs for me too :thumbup:

I've had the CRN grooved discs on for the last 3yrs & I have just bought a new set of CRN grooved front discs to put on with my Porsche calipers;)

Ive bought the CRN Grooved discs as I got them new for a good price, what pads are you running oggy?

Whats other peoples recommendations for pads with these discs,

cheers ian

Ive bought the CRN Grooved discs as I got them new for a good price, what pads are you running oggy?

Whats other peoples recommendations for pads with these discs,

cheers ian

The ones I'm running at the moment, which have been absolutly fine are the Mintex, but I'll be running the pads that came with the Porsche caliper kit, which are Dextar (Porsche pads without the Porsche name) when I fit my new discs.