My Windows 7 install experience

Dr Zoidberg

Ive installed windows 7 64bit H/P edition on 43 PCs of varying spec since its launch and havent had a single issue. Its quick, easy and rock solid so far - which makes a first for a microsoft O/S (thinking back to the days of Windows 2000 pre sp1, XP before sp1 and Vista pre Sp1 windows 7 is a breath of fresh air.

I am finally ready to do my upgrade from the Windows Vista 32 Bit. I have had my disk for Windows 7 64 Bit since release but due to college being hectic I have had no time. Just getting ready to install a new HDD as well and that will host Windows 7 with my current drive becoming storage only.

I was going to rebuild the computer from the ground up but really it isn't worth doing that for what I will achieve.

I am finally ready to do my upgrade from the Windows Vista 32 Bit. I have had my disk for Windows 7 64 Bit since release but due to college being hectic I have had no time. Just getting ready to install a new HDD as well and that will host Windows 7 with my current drive becoming storage only.

I was going to rebuild the computer from the ground up but really it isn't worth doing that for what I will achieve.

DONE! And way to late, 7 is vastly better than Vista. Install was problem free.

I've installed the upgrade 32-bit version from vista and a clean 64-bit install. I can only recommend the 64-bit version, as the 32-bit is almost as slow as Vista, however it is a good upgrade, and fewer issues. It even fixes the wireless card issue that I hated with Vista (not changing networks without disabling the card first)

I have 2 copies of Windows 7 Professional upgrade to install on a PC and a laptop, both running Windows XP Professional SP3. I have downloaded an upgrade guide from Microsoft's website which explains that a custom (or clean) installation is necessary. My idea of a clean installation is to reformat the HD first but nowhere is there mention of that being possible. Is it an option and, if so, how do I do it while still being able to get Windows 7 to activate in the absence of any trace of Windows XP?

Well, I did the change. From XP pro to 7 ult 64bit.

Took me 2 days....... Not that I am not known with computers, always build my own systems. But this took ages.

I did a complete new installation, but also changed my CPU from Q6600 to Q9550, took the SSD out (only 32Gb) and changed it for a 640Gb Blue Caviar (7200/32Mb cache) and changed the 4x1Gb for faster 4x2Gb.

It wasnt Win7 but after a lot of hangups and reboots, I found out that my mainboard didnt want to accept the 4 x 2Gb memory banks.

At least not in dual mode.....

Mainboard is a Gigabyte EP45DS3. After almost 2 days of hampering around, I found a board that stated exactely my problems.

So after already using the newer components and Win7 running stable with 2x2Gb, I did a few bios upgrades (from F6 to F9, step for step).

And now it is running beautifully!

Also using easy transfer got me all my former settings back.

Only thing was finding all my licences for the other software and installing everything new again.

But for the change, if your system doesnt make any problems, it is really recommended.

Slowest part of the windows index is the HDD at 5.9

CPU and memory at 7.1/7.1 and graphics at 7.5/7.5 (ATI 4870 with 1024Mb).

Happy now (but this morning I rather had thrown the entire thing out of my window emoticon-0108-speechless.gif )

Edited by magic62