Does your FL rear wiper auto turn on in reverse?

After using the new car in the rain for the first time I noticed that if I selected reverse when the front wipers were on auto then the rear wiper didn't do the obligatory sweep to clear the back window.

As it used to happen with my 2007 vRS I decided to check in the handbook & on p70 it says it should still happen.

Has anyone else got this problem or could I have altered something on the maxidot to disable it?

My FL vRS rear wiper operates when engaging reverse. It even works if the front wipers aren't switched on at the time, but have been used very recently (i.e. single wipe of the front screen after overnight rain before moving off, then engaging reverse a minute of so later)

I'm in some doubt about the exact function set up. If front wipers are actually wiping then the auto rear wiper works. If the front wiper is set to auto but not actually wiping then rear does not auto wipe.

Check that the back is shut properly, if it's not then the auto-wipe function doesn't work.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there as the hatch doesn't appear to close with a positive 'thunk' as the last one did!

I tried it this afternoon and it initially it didn't work but then I opened and shut the hatch and everything seemed ok. The dealer wants to scan for fault codes and tells me it could be the hatch switch or any number of other things including the wiper motor......

After a run it appears to have gone 'faulty' again so a trip to get it fixed will be in order.

I'm in some doubt about the exact function set up. If front wipers are actually wiping then the auto rear wiper works. If the front wiper is set to auto but not actually wiping then rear does not auto wipe.
As shrikep15 suggests there appears to be some sort of timer involved as well as the rear auto functions if the front wipers have been on 'recently'

There is definitely a difference between the FL vRS and the pre-FL vRS in this function.

I don't have the AUTO function.

If the front wipers are on and I select reverse, the rear wipes.

If the front wipers are off, I select reverse, then switch the front wipers on, the rear does not wipe.

With my pre-FL vRS the rear used to wipe regardless of the order.

Edited by GriffoVRS

I don't have the AUTO function.

I do have to auto wipers/lights etc but meant to say when the wiper switch was in the 'intermittent' position as I would think that thats the only necessary criteria to get the rear wiper working in reverse?

I do have to auto wipers/lights etc but meant to say when the wiper switch was in the 'intermittent' position as I would think that thats the only necessary criteria to get the rear wiper working in reverse?

It was only to hi-light that I do not have auto wipers.

I agree, having the front wipers on should be the only criteria. However, as I said there is a definite difference between my two cars.

Tried again today. Switched on auto wipe after engine started. Reversed, no auto rear wipe. But screen was dry , facing the sun, but rear screen was wet so a manual wipe was necessary.So I still say that auto rear wipe only works when the front wipers are working.

Tried again today. Switched on auto wipe after engine started. Reversed, no auto rear wipe. But screen was dry , facing the sun, but rear screen was wet so a manual wipe was necessary.So I still say that auto rear wipe only works when the front wipers are working.

You've got me wanting to double check the damn things now! Anyway, tried it 2 ways.

Firstly, started car with wipers already on 1st postition and then selected reverse - no rear wipe.

Secondly, started car & then moved wipers to postion 1 and even though it wasn't raining the front wipers did 1 sweep. Consequently then selecting reverse activated a sweep from the rear wiper as well.

I think its all down to which way the wind is blowing, the time of day and maybe if you prefer Jedward to Cheryl Cole :P

UPDATE:- Dealer checked for fault codes and operation and found the wipers working ok. Drove away (raining so wipers on auto) but stopped en route and selected reverse - rear wiper came on. Continued driving to destination and wipers still on auto due to rain. Reached destination, stopped and engaged reverse - NO REAR WIPE. Moved wiper stalk from auto to off to auto. One wipe of the front, engaged reverse and one wipe there as well! Phoned dealers and ran through what had happened thinking he would get in touch with SUK as he hadn't found anything as it looked like a potential software problem (and not the boot switch as I'd previously thought). Not quite as easy as that and and one of the things he suggested was to try another dealer!!! After a 'discussion', he said he would 'look into it' and 'get back to me' when he found something out. This later changed to him ringing me back by Friday with an update on any progress. I'd be grateful if any other FL drivers could try putting their car in reverse after a journey on a rainy day (with auto wipers on) to see if it's just my car that's got this 'quirk' or if its present across the range.

UPDATE:- Drove away (raining so wipers on auto) but stopped en route and selected reverse - rear wiper came on. Continued driving to destination and wipers still on auto due to rain. Reached destination, stopped and engaged reverse - NO REAR WIPE. Moved wiper stalk from auto to off to auto. One wipe of the front, engaged reverse and one wipe there as well! .

Mines does exactly that too mate. Confused? Most certainly!