Sourcing a working throttle body

Looks like my throttle idle switch is on the blink (showing a showing a short to ground in VCDS) and the car stalls with no throttle imput

So..... can anyone source me a throttle body at a resonable price. As I believe the idle switch isn't a part I can replace in it's own ?

I've checked the usual places (ebay, local scrappers), and have a query in the Jorily

Motor is a facelift 98 1.3Mpi

Cheers

it is possible to replace the switch on its own. prise off the cap of the throttle body, and you can see it straight away. Its a standard mini-microswitch with a simple screw holding it in place.

Take a look and i gurantee you will work out how to replace it :)

you can get a switch like that from RS / Maplin / CPC for about a quid

See... I knew that new Maplin store round the corner from me would come in handy! hehe

Call in for a cuppa if you like/you're stuck with it!

Phil

Well I've got my Grandad's Focus as transport now, so I may wip the throttle body off and see if I can fix it via maplins at the first instance then probably use Johnny's contact if I muck it up.

Phil, you had any experience prizing the metal end cover of the throttle body ? or is the swith in the sprung end where the cable attaches ?

From what I can recall from memory the switch is held in from the back of the metal plate on the throttle body either by clips or screws. not sure. I guess the best way is to take it apart and see what's what. If you can get the switch off then take it to Maplin and see what they have that best fits.

If you need a hand though I am happy to help. I am usually pretty good at the fiddly bits... I promise not to leave my feeler blades stuck in your engine somewhere! :rolleyes:

The biggest hurdle I can see from a quick glance of the TB is that the eletronics are covered by a plate which seems to be crimped to the TB. This plate is a few mm thick and could take some doing un crimping.

just get a little flat screwdriver under the crimps and tap it with a hammer. the first time i took mine apart i only needed to unbend 3, and then you can pop the whole cover off. while you at it a good spray inside with some carb cleaner does wonders!

i can take a picture of the innards sometimes if anyone interested