ASR and ABS Warning lights on

catzi

My 54 plate Octavia II is due for an annual service tomorrow. On Sunday past, the ABS and ASR lights lit up (yellow) and stayed on - the ASR button is also lit. According to the manual there is a fault with the ABS system.

The following day, the ABS light came on (yellow) for a short time (seconds) and went out again and there were no further warnings.

Today I took the car out and the ABS / ASR lights lit up. The ASR button is not operating with the warning lights on.

I've looked through the forums and come across folks with problems with the ABS control Unit that required a £1500 replacement. Bearing in mind the car is getting on for five years old, needs a service (including a repair to the Aircon which has leaked) I am concerned I may end up with a £2000 bill.

If it is looking like that kind of money I think I'll have to consider trading it. Overall I've been very happy with the car - it's a 2.0 TDI 140 which has always been great.

Any thoughts / advice? Am I panicking unnecessarily?

It also could have been a problem with the steering angle sensor (G85).

After changing a batterie, in my car also the bespoken warnings lit up.

After a short drive, with the wheel turning sharp left and right, the lights went out again.

But I did find out AFTER looking at the fault codes.

So best thing is to let your dealer read out the fault codes.

I've got an ASR OFF button on mine but when I press it there is no indication that it's done anything i.e. no lights go on or off on either the buton or the instruments.

Pressed the button long enough to hear an acoustic confirmation?

I had the same problem occur on my 07 VRS Estate last Friday (had to be the 13th!) when the traction control/ABS warning light on the dash came on and stayed on. I took it to the Skoda dealer today as it is still in warranty and they have had to order a new part for the ABS. Being a luddite they didn't really explain the problem but did say that the traction control and ABS won't work until it is replaced a week on Friday when the part is in.

When I take it in to get the work done I’ll ask how much it would of cost if it wasn’t within its warranty period.

Without getting the fault codes read its all speculation. There are large numbers of potential faults that could put the warning light on, ranging from a dodgy connection to a £1500 repair bill for a new electrohydraulic unit.