Problem with variable service interval following long life service

I would like any insight anyone can give with regards to a problem I am having following a long life service. The mileage to next service was showing as 9300 miles immediately after the service.

Now, from my first two long life services, I got 18500 miles, then the next one I only got 9300 miles, I assumed that this was due to a problem I had where there was a collapsed vacuum hose and a leak from the manifold. This was fixed under the warranty. However, I have now had the car serviced again and I was getting the same 9300 miles shown immediately after the service. I phoned the dealer and they said that the car must have been set to short life service accidentally and to bring it back.

I have now taken the car back and once again, when I check the miles to next service, it says 9300 miles. This distance drops at the rate I am driving the miles. I have spoken to the dealer again and they assure me they checked the setting for long life service was correct. They suggested just leaving the service until I have done about 18500 miles after suggesting I had changed my driving style (which I haven't).

I wasn't really happy with this suggestion and although it may be a small thing, I would like it putting right. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert.

You cant really change the setting between services, as the computer will get all confused. Its best to have the QG1 setting re-instated after a service has just been completed.

It does sound like its been set to fixed in error, the usual cause of this is reseting the service indicator using the dashpod and not the dealers diagnostic tool. Using the dashpod method sets the dashpod to say its on fixed servicing, but anyone checking the main ecu will see it set to variable. The dealer needs to check that the dashpod coding is correct.

I'd get it sorted now.

Demand they use the correct oil, and reset it back to longlife. You'll know it's set to longlife, as before 500 miles has elapsed the time to service shows - - -

If you get any issues, kick off at Skoda UK and local trading standards, as you never asked them to alter the servicing interval. I'd also consider using another dealership for your servicing.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds very much like it is the dashpod problem as Manyo says. I also remembered something like the ----- until I had driven a certain distance but wasn't sure so that is also very useful. I fact this time, before I even started the engine at the dealer's it was showing 9300 miles.

I do intend to take the car to another dealers in future as this has come after many visits for them to find the collapsed vacuum pipe and leaking manifold, which gave the "Take to workshop message". They first tried to fix this with an ecu update which I think was the start of the service interval problems (probably both ecu and dashpod were set to fixed before on more recent visits they reset ecu but not dashpod??).

Don't worry, if this doesn't get sorted on my next visit, I will be kicking off about it.

Anyway thanks again for your help.

All the best,

Robert.

Manchester dealer has just changed my dash pod display and it was on long life servicing but now shows approx service at 10,000 !

Manchester dealer has just changed my dash pod display and it was on long life servicing but now shows approx service at 10,000 !

Because yours was between services, they've likely put on fixed for one cycle so you dont go over. If they reset your car would do what ever since last service + the variable up to 18k/2yrs.

They have said that when it gets to 10,000 they will reset it for another 10,000 if that sounds right ?

Is your dealer on crack? You've been driving round since new, or last service. So could be any mileage into a variable regime. So the correct action would be to let you run 10k then service you and reset back to a variable regime. Would you really want to go the distance already covered plus another 20k before you get a service? You really want to risk the damage to the engine, which Skoda then wouldnt honour warranty on???