Identified faults with the Yeti

The Plumber

One of the lost posts plus an update anyway.

As some may be aware my Snow-monster has been suffering from what at first appeared to be creaking/rattling sounds from the dash. This noise transpired to mainly generated by the 'A' pillar external black trim panels.

This apparently is becoming a known problem on the Yeti and the dealer attempted the recommended repair from Skoda last week.

Unfortunately this only worked for 3/4 of the way home before I ended up with a noise that my wife best describes as polystyrene packaging rubbing together.

Dealer has now ordered new trim panels, clips, seals etc. Although Skoda appear a bit unwilling to confirm, the dealer believes the fixing arrangement on the new panels has been modified to that used on my Yeti, so will wait and see.

Edited by The Plumber
Fixing paragraph problem; I have now worked out how.

• 1 month later...

As some may be aware my Snow-monster has been suffering from what at first appeared to be creaking/rattling sounds from the dash. This noise transpired to mainly generated by the 'A' pillar external black trim panels.

This apparently is becoming a known problem on the Yeti and the dealer attempted the recommended repair from Skoda last week.

Unfortunately this only worked for 3/4 of the way home before I ended up with a noise that my wife best describes as polystyrene packaging rubbing together.

Dealer has now ordered new trim panels, clips, seals etc. Although Skoda appear a bit unwilling to confirm, the dealer believes the fixing arrangement on the new panels has been modified to that used on my Yeti, so will wait and see.

Hi,

Did the Delaer get the parts and fit them yet - or are you still waiting on them?

Thanks

Graham

Hi,

Did the Delaer get the parts and fit them yet - or are you still waiting on them?

Thanks

Graham

Hi Graham,

apologies missed your post until now. Parts did arrive but dealer reinvestigated noises and decided they where coming from the inside. Fitted some kind of tape between various dash and trim parts.

Much improved since this work but still getting some very intermittent chattering from the dash, particularly in very cold weather or with ice along the bottom of the windscreen and now also from the headlining near the drivers grab handle.

Still very pleased with my Monster though; great for the current weather were having, especially now I am running on 16" winter tyres.

Regards,

TP

Still very pleased with my Monster though; great for the current weather were having, especially now I am running on 16" winter tyres.

Hi TP,

When you get a minute - would you mind giving a review in the main forum on how your Monster is doing on the Winter Tyres?

Really wished we had ours now with this weather.!!

Thanks for the update on the noise abatement work.

Edited: Ah .. I can see you did that already - thanks a v good write up.

Graham

Edited by grahamar

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would list the items I've asked to dealer to rectify and the outcome so far;

Dash noises - A pillar trim panels both internally and externally, dash assembly various locations including a loose sensor in the centre windscreen vent and the storage bin on top of the dash has been replaced, much improved.

Windscreen wipers - started hitting the A pillar after heavy snow; adjusted been fine since.

Radio - loosing the channel and CD player stopping half way through a track then restarting; no fault found and not had a repeat of the problems for a week, monitoring.

Rear hatch door catching the bumper - only started recently, appears bolts holding the door to the hinges had worked slightly loose allowing the door to move, adjusted and bolts tightened.

Please note just providing information and feedback on our experience to date.

Regards,

TP

Edited by The Plumber

The Plumber Hello, thank you for the valuable contributions that post on the forum.

I wanted to inform you about my experience with the noises (PILLAR) reported to Service skoda.

As often happens, when tested with the mechanic on board, the noises do not have occurred. Then I left the car in the garage to the assembly of the flap and the mechanic, after finishing the job, informed me that he found an official report by Skoda in the computer database which will suggest a temporary solution to the problem with a lot of Photos on intervention to execute. Curious that the sample included in the statement of the intervention was red, maybe it was your Yeti?

I chose not to do surgery because the card was written that the reporting officer was in progress the final solution.

A Greek forum member reported that his creaking troubles are over.

His dealership experimented on a couple other Yetis and found the solution!

The dismantled the external trim of the A pillar and they reassembled after they used some sort of absorbing/mounting strip.

As soon as I determine if I have the problem, I will proceed with the fix meself! Not going to bother with the dealership!

Please not that all the above ARE NOT per Official Skoda Technical Bulletin.

A Greek forum member reported that his creaking troubles are over.

His dealership experimented on a couple other Yetis and found the solution!

The dismantled the external trim of the A pillar and they reassembled after they used some sort of absorbing/mounting strip.

As soon as I determine if I have the problem, I will proceed with the fix meself! Not going to bother with the dealership!

Please not that all the above ARE NOT per Official Skoda Technical Bulletin.

Thank you for reporting. But the owner of this yeti is this board? Can you provide any further details regarding the solution and how to do it?

Thank you very much

Thank you for reporting. But the owner of this yeti is this board? Can you provide any further details regarding the solution and how to do it?

Thank you very much

He is not a member here.

I will post detail as soon as I have more info.

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

I've done about 1100 miles and although I'm sensitive to the odd squeek in all the cars I've owned the only one I get is in the left instrument pod (high pitched plasticy) which is a bit irritating. I should mention it among with the other concerns - I'm getting a funny noise from the clutch when pulling away in first (short continuous whine for less than a second), but looking at the Haldex system it could be number of it's many bit and bobs working. It sort of hesitates too in first sometimes, so I should get that looked at. I'm new to manual after 8 years so maybe I'm over critical and haven't quite got used to it, I should have done by now.

Has anyone else noticed similar noises with their 4x4? Also -I don't even know if it's ever gone into 4x4 mode, how would I know, only one drive in a field and that was dry?

Would a Haldex problem appear in normal diagnostic check or do I need to find an expert? Since the Yeti is so new I don't think anyone is up to speed yet.

My mpg is pretty poor in town 20 - 25mpg and the paintwork seems to be getting scratched easily, this could be just a case of bad luck. The mpg is down to exuberance.

Other than that, it's a fun car to drive (hence the mpg) and practical too. The wife loves it, because it's comfortable and has a nice high view point. I like the gearbox and handling, looking forward to more A and B roads and a full tank.

Robbie

Edited by scotchandskoda

• 3 months later...

Hi Plumber,

Any update on how to rid the yeti of pillar noise? Also a bit dissapointed with heating system. Its either not working until the controls reach half way, then by three quarters its fully on (hot). Its difficult to maintain an even tempreature without turing on the air con. Its not the winter yet but i am a little worried about maintaining a comfortable temp in the cabin. Any taughts? BigM

Hi Plumber,

Any update on how to rid the yeti of pillar noise? Also a bit dissapointed with heating system. Its either not working until the controls reach half way, then by three quarters its fully on (hot). Its difficult to maintain an even tempreature without turing on the air con. Its not the winter yet but i am a little worried about maintaining a comfortable temp in the cabin. Any taughts? BigM

Hi BigM,

emoticon-0106-crying.gif to hear your having an issue or two. Re the pillar noise then most of that apparently came from the external clips holding the black pillar trims in place. When I had my windscreen replaced I took some photo's which illustrate the repair used; fabric tape. Autoglass fitter only had plastic 'electricians' tape but that's worked just as well My link

The heating system is obviously another matter, which system do you have? Climatronic (three rotary controls) or Duel Climate Control (two rotary controls and a load of push buttons). With the modern systems as used by VAG they tend to be more tuned to working in conjunction with the air con on, which might explain why your finding this difference.

If you have the duel system then again from experience it tends to work best in auto mode in either single or duel functionality (except for screen clearing). Also have to remember this system has a high or low mode for the fan motor, in low mode it's slower to respond but quieter. Will have a route around what information I have and if I find something I will let you know.

Regards,

TP

• 1 year later...

[...]which system do you have? Climatronic (three rotary controls) or Duel Climate Control (two rotary controls and a load of push buttons).

According to the owner's manual page 92, Climatronic (automatic air conditioning) is the one with two knobs, a load of buttons and dual climate control. The standard one with three knobs doesn't have a fancy name.

Does anybody else have a slight bulge in the lower third of the interior A pillar cover both screen and seal sides?? Is it easy to remove this without causing damage to the part? (body part clips always seem rather strong on our 2 VAG cars).

• 1 month later...

According to the owner's manual page 92, Climatronic (automatic air conditioning) is the one with two knobs, a load of buttons and dual climate control. The standard one with three knobs doesn't have a fancy name.

Does anybody else have a slight bulge in the lower third of the interior A pillar cover both screen and seal sides?? Is it easy to remove this without causing damage to the part? (body part clips always seem rather strong on our 2 VAG cars).

Acutally, it´s called "Climatic" ;)

Annoying squeaky trim and no spare wheel:

I also thought it was A pillar or door trim but found that it was the spigot at the base of the accelerator pedal i.e. the bit that locates the unit into the floorpan NOT the hinge of the organ pedal.

I undid the securinging screw at the upper part of the unit but could not completely release the base of the unit but was able to lift it sufficiently to squirt some silicon spray and WD40 onto the spigot and then placed some foam between the unit base and the carpet. Following reassembly no more squeaks!!!!

Otherwise excellent vehicle except for the puncture at 1500 miles (a Stanley knife blade across the tread!) and my only gripe no spare wheel or even space saver so would not want to be driving overnight to catch a ferry. Skoda need to have a rethink about only supplying a can of foam and an electric pump.

Hope this helps fellow Yetians!

1/ Welcome.

2/ This is in the wrong section, as it is supposed to be for TECHNICAL GUIDES.

3/ What is the problem with not having a spare? Thousands of new cars now come like it, from Skodas to Fiats to Land Rovers!! So what!! It is done to save weight so that the ratio of weight to carbon output is lower and therefore the VED is lower. You knew when you bought the car it didn't have one, and if you'd looked on here then someone would have told you what you needed to order to get over it. And before that case when was the last time you actually had a puncture, and how often do you see vehices with punctures now-a-days?

4/ My Yeti has now done 42000 miles and the accelerator pedal has never squeaked or rattled, and I've never lubricated it, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone else mention it, so it can't be a very common problem.

• Thanks 1

<p>

The standard system is called "Air conditioning system (manual air conditioning system)" in the pdf manual bookmarks.

th_IMG_0051.jpg

th_IMG_0050.jpg

Also a small fault with the drivers door window seal - pinched out of place by door panel:

th_IMG_0047.jpg

Normal for comparison:

th_IMG_0048.jpg

Edited by blouis79

• 1 year later...

Hmmmm!..It's quite enlightening reading up on the various creaking and rattling noises mentioned here and I must admit that my Yeti 103tdi hasn't been totally immune either!

I had a strange series of noises in the floor area (Drivers side) which nearly drove me crazy! (Crazier than usual) It only did it on odd days (No!..I don't mean the 1st, 3rd and 5th days of the month, etc. :rofl: ) and then one day after lots of "soul searching", I found it was connected with the shoes I was wearing!  (A particular pair of thongs to be precise!!!)

I think it must be some sort of friction reaction between the 2 types of plastic material used for the shoe souls and the accelerator pedal.

My other source of rattles was due to the window tinter have dropped a clip in the front passenger door causing a noise of something rolling around when braking and cornering that you'd swear was coming from the glove box.

The car goes in this week with a "clanking" sound coming from the rear of the drivers seat (Only sometimes, I swear depending on the ambient temperature).

"Oh what fun to own a Yeti"

Edited by Bopman