New Turbo Problems

DJR

After having my new turbo fitted on saturday i picked my car up from the garage and took it out for a spin to my mates which was about 12miles away.About 10 miles into my journey the engine management light started flash and the turbo sound became really loud and whiney and went into limp mode.I got to my mates and parked the car up and left it until the mechanic recovers it.Im thinking that maybe the turbo is being starved of oil??I started the car yesterday and it started to smoke upon idle and a temperature light was flashing in the top left corner ( the same temp symbol thats on the water cap)I know the mechanic will hopefully sort this as its his error that has caused this but im just wondering if anybody could shed some light on this?!?ThanksDan

Old turbo was knackered. there was a ridiculous amount of play in the shaft.

And yeah mate he said they primed it.

I trust the mechanic as he also has a vrs!!

But time will tell on this one?!?!

So why did the first turbo fail then? Turbos very rarely just die by themselves, but they rely heavily on other systems working perfectly. Sounds like a classic case of fixing the effect, rather than the cause.

Thanks for the replies people

Well the new turbo was stripped down and has the same damage as the old one.

Looking at the pics that were sent to me the impellors on both the old and new turbos are damaged in exactly the same way and it looks like its catching on something or something has hit it on the bottom half of the shaft.

Doesa anybody have any ideas what this could be??

Thanks

Dan

Looking at the pics that were sent to me the impellers on both the old and new turbos are damaged in exactly the same way and it looks like its catching on something or something has hit it on the bottom half of the shaft.

Does anybody have any ideas what this could be??

Thanks

Dan

While the turbo is off, get the garage to remove the oil pipes and check for blockage.

The turbo shaft floats on a film of oil but if there is no oil, gravity will allow the shaft to fall down and and damage the bottom of the bearing. It s for this reason too that one should never blip up the engine revs before switching off.

My guess is that you have an oil starvation problem at the turbo caused by limited oil flow to the turbo or poor oil pressure.

Hope this helps you find it.

• Like 1

Have you got an aftermarket induction kit on it, or panel filter? If the impellor is damaged it could be FOD (foreign object damage). Caused by an air filter/pipe work falling apart, or lack of good filtration.

Other than that, I'd go with pikpilot. Change the oil feed and supply lines, and do an oil change.

While the turbo is off, get the garage to remove the oil pipes and check for blockage.

The turbo shaft floats on a film of oil but if there is no oil, gravity will allow the shaft to fall down and and damage the bottom of the bearing. It s for this reason too that one should never blip up the engine revs before switching off.

My guess is that you have an oil starvation problem at the turbo caused by limited oil flow to the turbo or poor oil pressure.

Hope this helps you find it.

:iagree: - excellent explanation too.