2.0 Tdi

Hi chaps, I recently bought an 08 2.0 tdi to replace my Fabia vRS that I had pinched off my drive a couple of month ago, I have a couple of reservations about my purchase- the engine is very noisy even for a diesel (this is my 3rd derv car) from cold it is much louder than my old 1.9 and even when warmed up in a high gear it still clatters, where my 1.9 would go virtually silent when cruising, I expected the 2.0 to be more refined than the old engine, have I just bought a noisy one? It has 21k on the clock and the mileage is genuine. One more thing is I get a juddering when pulling away for the first few times, it seems to come from the clutch. I was told by my dealer it would be back brakes sticking on but even when parking without the hand brake it’s the same, it seems worse on wet mornings for some reason.

Any advice would be appreciated.

They do vary. My last car was a Golf estate 2.0 PD TDI and it was much noisier than a friend's 120,000-mile Golf 1.9 TDI. Otherwise the Golf was excellent, and you get used to the noise. The current Octavia with the CR engine is of course a great improvement.

• Like 1

Hi chaps, I recently bought an 08 2.0 tdi to replace my Fabia vRS that I had pinched off my drive a couple of month ago, I have a couple of reservations about my purchase- the engine is very noisy even for a diesel (this is my 3rd derv car) from cold it is much louder than my old 1.9 and even when warmed up in a high gear it still clatters, where my 1.9 would go virtually silent when cruising, I expected the 2.0 to be more refined than the old engine, have I just bought a noisy one? It has 21k on the clock and the mileage is genuine. One more thing is I get a juddering when pulling away for the first few times, it seems to come from the clutch. I was told by my dealer it would be back brakes sticking on but even when parking without the hand brake it’s the same, it seems worse on wet mornings for some reason.

Cheers for those replies, anybody know what causes the juddering the first few times I pull away after the car has been left for a while, I heard about the dmf problems but this wouldn’t get worse on wet mornings and would be there all the time.

My 2.0TDi is quiet noisy on startup, but once it gets going its fine. I guess this is partly because its a 16V engine, whareas the 1.9TDI is only an 8V engine. At 70mph on the motorway you wouldnt even know it was a diesel.

My 2005 one does not judder at all, from the off its always smooth and thats with 90K miles on the clock.

Cheers for those replies, anybody know what causes the juddering the first few times I pull away after the car has been left for a while, I heard about the dmf problems but this wouldn’t get worse on wet mornings and would be there all the time.

My 1.9 TDI is the same (70k miles) - problem vanishes when the engine is warmed up. Try using just a few more revs when dropping the clutch, I find this helps. Doesn't seem to be a massive problem to me ..... I just live with the "characteristic".

Dave

When I first bought my Octy (9k miles) it had the same clutch judder when cold, only now and again. I got it checked out for DMF problems and they said it was OK. Problem disappeared after 20K or so. I just put it down to bedding in the new clutch.