Yeti in the SNOW

Allams Skoda

The snow is all gone now but I've been left with a massive ice ring as a car park. The Yeti is quite impressive even no almost zero traction.

Still with us, several inches of it and a bit more came down this afternoon. So much for saying I didn't expect much here. :mmm:

Winter has arrived in central Scotland. Very impressed how sure-footed my Yeti is in frozen and slushy snow. And hill hold is great on slippy downslopes. The off-road function cleverly seems to cut out above 35kph.

Woke up -listened to the traffic info which went on about snow.

Looked out of the window - rain.

Had my brekkie, got changed, looked out of the window, a couple of inches and snowing heavily !

Glad I've not got the Yeti yet - as I said to the Mrs I'df have looked stupid if I got stuck in a "4wd" (I'm getting the 1.2).

Woke up -listened to the traffic info which went on about snow.

Looked out of the window - rain.

Had my brekkie, got changed, looked out of the window, a couple of inches and snowing heavily !

Glad I've not got the Yeti yet - as I said to the Mrs I'df have looked stupid if I got stuck in a "4wd" (I'm getting the 1.2).

Is that what you might call reverse imaging?

The snow is clearing over here in Ipswich now, but seen so many people get stuck just trying to get in and out of their drives. It seems the snow has piled up and frozen near the kerbs, so front well drives are getting stuck getting out of drives, rear wheel drives are getting stuck getting back on.

A picture "with" rather than "of" the Yeti (my wife didn't know about this thread) but nice anyway.

747253534_AAiXm-L.jpg

Taken in the (normally packed) car park at Guide Dogs HQ near Reading. I very much doubt whether she would have got there in her previous car, a VW Beetle. I don't this applies to the new ones...

Mark

Could have done with a Yeti this morning... Oh well roll on next year when the 140CR TDi 4x4 DSG comes on stream.

In up to 4.5" of snow, my fwd DSG Golf with snow tyres saved the day and surprised many a 4x4s (which is all I saw for the entire journey) on the snow covered hilly roads and verge filled abandoned cars here around Basingstoke. Farmers where out in their droves ...lol

Flip the DSG over to tip mode and use the paddles to change gear. 20mph in 3rd was all that could be safely undertaken.

Thought I was in with a chance, with my Yeti still stuck at Sheerness so no photo there.

So I have just spent the weekend in Prague. Bound to see a Yeti I thought , I even got my family to look for one. Nothing!!

I have been walking around for three days in freezing temps (-12C when we got there Friday, -17C very early Sunday). So disappointed.

Then in the car to the airport one appeared in front of us.

4206362298_6b9ae333c9.jpg

Blue, albeit very dirty amid the snow and slush.

The rest of the story was not so good, Stansted was snowed in, we were stacked for a while, then when there were no other "close" airports open either and a long time in the air (thank heaven for big fuel loads) we were diverted to Liverpool.

With chaos in the air and on the ground, there were no coaches available so it was four of us jammed into a taxi for a four hour trip down to Stansted to pick up the car.

tom

A picture "with" rather than "of" the Yeti (my wife didn't know about this thread) but nice anyway.

Taken in the (normally packed) car park at Guide Dogs HQ near Reading. I very much doubt whether she would have got there in her previous car, a VW Beetle. I don't this applies to the new ones...

Mark

Nice picture, Mark (Mrs Mark...!).

I spent 4.5 hours driving 13 miles home last night across the Chilterns. 6 inches of snow defeated the Yeti up one of the big, steep hills (probably my poor technique! :S ) but it was brilliant in the ice and snow everywhere else, up hill down dale, where 2 wheel drive machines were having real problems. Ordered some AutoSocks this morning though they've sold out at the moment in Yeti Elegance-size - no surprise there then!

Nice picture, Mark (Mrs Mark...!).

I spent 4.5 hours driving 13 miles home last night across the Chilterns. 6 inches of snow defeated the Yeti up one of the big, steep hills (probably my poor technique! :S ) but it was brilliant in the ice and snow everywhere else, up hill down dale, where 2 wheel drive machines were having real problems. Ordered some AutoSocks this morning though they've sold out at the moment in Yeti Elegance-size - no surprise there then!

Repeat after me: winter tyres, winter tyres, winter tyres.......

As I am in Germany for January and February I recently had winter tyres fitted to my Superb.

Having spent several hours in Basingstoke yesterday I now know their value. On one steep gradient a Range Rover Sport (presumably on normal tyres) failed to get to the top. My two wheel drive Superb sailed up with no problem at all. The Vredestein Wintrac Extreme tyres make driving on snow and ice an enjoyable challenge not an arduous task. After two hours negotiating abandoned cars in Basingstoke I made it to a rather slushy M3 and back to Somerset.

Repeat after me: winter tyres, winter tyres, winter tyres.......

winter tyres, winter tyres, winter tyres.......

I hear what you are saying - but the cost is hard to justify for the couple of days a year they are are needed, hence the AutoSock order. When Global Warming takes a real hold then I'll get the steel wheels and winter tyres. At least I've already got the Xenons for when the sun never shines again... :no:

winter tyres, winter tyres, winter tyres.......

I hear what you are saying - but the cost is hard to justify for the couple of days a year they are are needed, hence the AutoSock order. When Global Warming takes a real hold then I'll get the steel wheels and winter tyres. At least I've already got the Xenons for when the sun never shines again... :no:

Not that I intend to, but, if you fit steelies do you need different wheel bolts ?

VAG group cars use the same for both and have done for a number of years well at least from 2000. They use Radius (spherical) type for both the steel wheels and alloy wheels. The problem would only be if you had after market alloy wheels as they use a taper (conical) type.

tech.info.4.gif

Edited by Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy is correct :thumbup: If you have Skoda alloys and buy Skoda steel rims the stock bolts will do just fine :yes:

And I agree with "agerbundsen"... Winter tyres, winter tyres, winter tyres, winter tyres. Hurting either innocent pedestrians, yourself, passengers in your car, occupants in other cars or your brand new Yeti isn't worth it if it could have been avoided by fitting proper tyres.. :yes: