Anti roll bar ?

hastie84

the std FARB is good enough and when you put the RARB on OMG its THE best mod for the money!

if sticking with the std front one the 22mm Whiteline is good enough but if you want to put the R32 one on or bigger then the Neuspeed 28mm one is your best option, saves spending twice. TBH for road use only the 22mm one is more than up to it.

takes longer to jack the car up than it does to fit it.

easy and well worth it

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does the arb make a big difference to the handling and likjewise if you have the Farb too??

RARB makes a huge difference. like night and day and is the best handling mod to do on the VRS.

The standard FARB is ok but if you start stiffing up suspension and bushes after also fitting RARB then FARB will benefit being a bit thicker (standard is 19mm) Golf R32 one is 23mm.

I am sure ive read on the description its a tube?

mmm, so which one is a tube? Ive seen one of the big ones that says its a tube and not solid. think its the one with the sleaves. instead of droplinks it has sleaves that go over the ARB? dont know what make that is.

that aside tho if your just using the car on the roads then there is not much point in spending 250ish on the Neuspeed bar when 150ish will get you one thats more than up to the job. the 100ish you save can then then go into a remap/ other mods

I think the Eibach one may be a tube, but having fitted the Neuspeed one to both mine and Andyrews car, I can assure you they are solid bars, and worth every penny.

£100 is £100 though and that would mean i have some money towards project no 2 of my list. The £60 remap :giggle:

I know where you can get one for £99... :yes: (prepares to be flamed)

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

Yeah the Neuspeeds are solid: http://www.neuspeed-europe.com/product.php?xProd=137&xSec=566

It's a nice bar, with nice end links and bush clamps. But £239 (25mm from Awesome) is a lot of money for what it is. Especially when you can get a 22mm Whiteline for £138 from DPM.

What are the end links like on the new Whiteline bars? There are no photos of them anywhere. I know the old ones used a chopped off bit of box-section, which I thought was pretty nasty, and put me off their bars. But Damian mentioned a while back that the new ones had changed for the better. Also what are the bush clamps like on the Whiteline? Are they just a U-bolt? The complete lack of detailed photos or information is making me hesitant about the Whiteline, but the price always makes me interested!

I suppose you get what you pay for, but you can buy a remap for £240!

Needs photos........

Edited by Bodge

i have a new whiteline antiroll bar on mine, fitted last week. It use's some droplinks that attach to the bar.

You've got the 22mm adjustable right? Don't suppose you could post up some pics of the droplinks so I can see what the new design is like?

Are the end links a bent rod figure-of-eight affair, or are they a rod with spherical joints at either end? Are bits of box section still used?

Sorry, question overload! Cheers :thumbup:

Yeah the Neuspeeds are solid: http://www.neuspeed-europe.com/product.php?xProd=137&xSec=566

It's a nice bar, with nice end links and bush clamps. But £239 (25mm from Awesome) is a lot of money for what it is. Especially when you can get a 22mm Whiteline for £138 from DPM.

What are the end links like on the new Whiteline bars? There are no photos of them anywhere. I know the old ones used a chopped off bit of box-section, which I thought was pretty nasty, and put me off their bars. But Damian mentioned a while back that the new ones had changed for the better. Also what are the bush clamps like on the Whiteline? Are they just a U-bolt? The complete lack of detailed photos or information is making me hesitant about the Whiteline, but the price always makes me interested!

I suppose you get what you pay for, but you can buy a remap for £240!

Needs photos........

Nothing wrong with the Whitline 22mm one, yes that uses box section against the rear shock support but is strong and does the job. Most of the RARB all attach to the rear beam in the same manner using u clamps and bushes.

I feel that the neuspeed is over priced for the same thing and ok a little more pretty looking, but who looks under the car that often.

I think the newer whitlines RARB (the 24mm) bolt up similar to the Neuspeed ones now using drop link from the rear shock lower mount. These are slightly dearer than the 22m but still good priced at approx £165.00

I feel that the neuspeed is over priced for the same thing and ok a little more pretty looking, but who looks under the car that often.

Pretty looking? I suppose its a bit like having the outside of the inlet manifolds and cam cover polished, but hey who looks under the bonnet all the time at things nobody sees and that do nothing?............................ :rofl:

Mark, could not resist it , but there again you know that everything on my old Octy vRS worked for a living, especially on the M25......... :giggle:

Pretty looking? I suppose its a bit like having the outside of the inlet manifolds and cam cover polished, but hey who looks under the bonnet all the time at things nobody sees and that do nothing?............................ :rofl:

Mark, could not resist it , but there again you know that everything on my old Octy vRS worked for a living, especially on the M25......... :giggle:

Hey buddy i see where you are going here , my point was cost over performance differences and those bits under the bonnet were zero cost to tinker with................ :giggle:

Your car was the dogs mate and respect to what you did. My approach was very similar to a point

Edited by Bowders1

Sorry for the dumb question, but does anyone know about the RARB on a 4x4 version? Is it there in stock and even if yes I'm afraid it's much harder to fit the aftermarket one than on a FWD vehicles?

Sorry for the dumb question, but does anyone know about the RARB on a 4x4 version? Is it there in stock and even if yes I'm afraid it's much harder to fit the aftermarket one than on a FWD vehicles?

Privet!

Yes there is a RARB as standard on the 4wd Octavia, as it has independent rear suspension. No idea how hard it is to change, but you're probably right that it's harder to change than on the Fwd cars. I can't imagine it being a massive job though. I expect one of the 4wd owners will know on here.

• Sponsor

As mentioned the Whiteline rear bars now all use the direct bolt on drop links which is a much neater and better design then the old box sections.

For everyday road use and with a standard bar up front the 22mm rear adjustable bar is a pretty spot on option. Foir those wanting more over steer then the 24mm bar is also available.

At just over £150 it's one of the best value for money additions you can do to the Octavia.

Damian @ DPM Performance

You've got the 22mm adjustable right? Don't suppose you could post up some pics of the droplinks so I can see what the new design is like?

Are the end links a bent rod figure-of-eight affair, or are they a rod with spherical joints at either end? Are bits of box section still used?

Sorry, question overload! Cheers :thumbup:

SDC11791.jpg

SDC11792.jpg

Hope that helps

Brilliant, that's exactly what I was after Craig :thumbup:

Looks tidy.

Are the small bushes outside the main mounting bushes there as end stops? Are they locked to the bar with hose clips or something similar?

I think I'll be getting the same bar as you soon then. A RARB will mark the end of tuning mods for me..... but that won't mean the end of fiddling and maintaining!

Brilliant, that's exactly what I was after Craig :thumbup:

Looks tidy.

Are the small bushes outside the main mounting bushes there as end stops? Are they locked to the bar with hose clips or something similar?

I think I'll be getting the same bar as you soon then. A RARB will mark the end of tuning mods for me..... but that won't mean the end of fiddling and maintaining!

Yeah, the bushes act as stoppers. Just attached to the bar when it came

Thanks. Just going by what the Haynes manual says. Seems to suggest it is integral with the rear axle?

Yeah you are right, there is a standard integral bar. You can't remove or fiddle with it though. Here's a pic of it and its centre bush as evidence! The aftermarket bars are just an easy way of stiffening the rear beam. The hard way would be to strengthen the beam itself.

p1030454o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Belated I know...

Was wondering if maybe we could help by listing the part numbers of the RARBs that fit the various versions of the Octavia.

For the Octavia MK1 Estate, if your choice is Eibach, is this E1540-320HA + fitting KIT? Also is this as easy to fit as the Neuspeed one (ie 20 mins as a DIY job)?

Ta

• 1 month later...

SDC11791.jpg

SDC11792.jpg

Hope that helps

Thanks for this. It was a very useful pair of pics.

Just fitted mine and i have to say it was more troublesome that i had hoped. The saddle brackets mounting holes did not align well with the steel plates, so had to spend a good 30 minutes trying to hammer/bend them enough so they aligned. I set the bar onto the softest setting to see how it was, and find that the sway bar links are not vertical but at about 45 degrees and the bar sits almost touching the bottom of the shock absorber housing - less than 1 mm gap. This seems necessary in order for the bar to sit in the correct place along the length of the main beam. Anyone else had this issue?

Haven't been for a drive yet, but am not entirely comfortable with how the install went. :|

Edited by Shroud

Hello mate I had EXACTLY the same problem over the weekend! Whoever said you could fit these in 30 minutes was having a chuckle!!! :rofl:

The u-shaped brackets for the bushes had to be bent into shape in a vice so I could get the u-shaped bolt to go through the two holes (and the holes in the rectangular plate). That was after I'd spent half an hour butchering my hands trying to squeeze the u-shaped bolts so they would fit! :no:

I tightened everything up and took it for a drive and tbh it hardly feels any different - maybe I would've noticed it more if I'd done the ARB before the coilovers? I might try it on a harder setting, at the moment I have it on the middle setting.

Got a mate up in Longfield with a VRS with Weitecs and a 22mm fixed RARB so I might see if I can drive his and compare the two. Although mine is out of action for a few days (again) after a fuel hose incident (long story :( )

P.s. I don't think it matters if the bar touches the beam, the idea is just that its connected to it to provide some extra rigidity.

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

Had coilovers done by AMD this morning. £613 including top mounts and bump stops. Happy with the result. Existing springs and shocks were apparently in good order so will be selling these on the forum soon to someone who wants a standard set up.

In some ways i'm glad i'm not alone :doh: , but it does make me wonder about the overall quality of the Whiteline product. Hopefully i should know how the ride is over the next couple of days so will keep you posted.

You will find that the weitecs make the RARB less of a impact, but you should still feel it working. Try going quicker :giggle:

I have the none adjustable whiteline and I can feel it doing it's job. If you never had the stiffer weitecs you would definately feel the RARB working much more..

They set them on the middle setting and the car definitely feels different. It was pretty blustery on the way back so wasn't sure how this was affecting the ride. If anything it felt more bouncy, but was told it takes a few days to settle.

Edited by Shroud