Coolant Light and gulping engine oil - fabia vrs

Hello all went out to my Fabia VRS this morning to start and the coolant light has come on and is flashing.

I've checked the coolant level and its above the min level.

I also checked the engine oil level and it was below the checked part on the dipstick, even though I changed the engine oil at the end of August.

I have the elephant hose mod so I think it could be burning oil because of that so may remove it in these cold temps.

Any help appreciated as I need the car for work next week.

Joel

• Like 1

Hi Joel

no firm answer but my other half had this complaint on early mornings over the weekend when it has been exceedingly cold.

I haven't seen the warnings myself (as it was laer and warmer before i braved heading out; but I checked the coolant which was fine but (haven't checked the oil yet)

She checked the hand book which seemed to say the light came on if the coolant was super hot or super cold

Am I correct in thinking that you hadn't previously checked the oil level since the end of August? Given that the oil consumption may be as much as 0.5L/1000 km depending on driving style, I would recommend following the handbook advice to check the oil at regular intervals, preferably every time after the fuel tank is filled or after driving for long stretches.

Coolant light is common, its the sensor in the bottle, quick fix is to scrape it with a long screwdriver, or long term fix a new bottle, and integrated sensor is under £20.

As for oil, that doesnt sound 'too' bad, top up and keep an eye more often i.e. once a month or similar.

My temp light has been beeping too when it is first started on a cold morning. Levels are all fine. Now it has started to warm up and gone above zero, it has stopped doing it. Sensor must be playing up as suggested.

PCV mod wont cause higher oil consumption. I find I need to add .25 litres every 1000 miles or so. ALL engines burn some oil, it's that simple. Oil levels that do not appear to drop over a long time, are simply oil diluted with diesel or petrol.

Hi all thanks for the re-assurance.

I have checked oil a couple of times and has not needed topping up, perhaps it is the colder weather causing increased oil consumption.

I took the connector off and did the scrape trick, and then sprayed some WD40 onto both connectors and the problem now appears to have gone away/

Also had the battery and alternator checked and both appear to be a in "GOOD" condition.

Battery has a start capacity of 68%, whatever that means

Glad I found this post.

My car wouldn't start in the cold weather yesterday ( http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/147219-vrs-wont-start/page__gopid__1840559 ) but have now got it started but with the coolant light flashing.

Coolant is fine, and oil was fine as I checked it last week. Will I be OK to drive it with coolant light flashing? It says in handbook not to, but if its the sensor just reacting to the very cold weather will it be ok?

Ta

Glad I found this post.

My car wouldn't start in the cold weather yesterday ( http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/147219-vrs-wont-start/page__gopid__1840559 ) but have now got it started but with the coolant light flashing.

Coolant is fine, and oil was fine as I checked it last week. Will I be OK to drive it with coolant light flashing? It says in handbook not to, but if its the sensor just reacting to the very cold weather will it be ok?

Ta

If the level is OK it should be fine.

That was after standing overnight at around -5 degrees and then driving 2 miles to the garage.

I think it is original battery, worth replacing?

might be a good idea, i'm currently in the same boat, 04 vrs

i brought my vrs to a garage because the coolant light was coming on and was told that the sensor in the bottle was freezing giving a false reading due to the cold weather

Freezing, well that's nonsense for a start, it won't freeze while it's sat in antifreeze?

Mate, if the light and buzzer keeps coming on in the cold weather, my advice is to get a new expansion tank for the car, they are only about £12 from a dealer as you can't get the sensor out. Done 2 on mine now.

Ben

coolant light has started flashing on mine only does it when its been parked on a hill all day and when its minus temperatures. light goes off after i turn off and turn back on again checked coolant level all ok.