My New Fabia 1.6 Sport

Dorf Depp

I'm due to take delivery of my new Fabia 1.6 Sport this coming Thursday, 31 December 2009, and I will be saying goodbye to my Fabia 1.4 16V which I've had since early 2001. I'm trading the old Fabia 1.4 16V in for the new car.

I just have a couple of questions as follows:-

1) My new Fabia will be supplied with just a tyre repair kit, as opposed to my old Fabia which had a "proper" steel-rimmed spare wheel. Does anyone know whether my old steel-rimmed spare wheel (with 185/60R14 tyre) would fit my new Fabia? In other words, could I use it as a useable spare, rather than buying a new spare?

2) Does anyone know whether the rubber footmats from my old Fabia would fit the new model?

If anyone has any views, thoughts or input regarding the Fabia 1.6 Sport, I'd also like to hear it. My old Fabia has served me reasonably well over the last 9 years, although quite a few things have been going wrong on it over the past few years, and it's caused a lot of expense. A lovely car to drive though, and I'm expecting the new model to be even nicer. I didi have a little test drive back in October, and was quite impressed with it. It was quite different from my old Fabia, but at the same time pleasantly familiar.

Steve

Congrates on buying the new car. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Not having had the Fabia Mk1 and not having worked on it either...I'm not completely certain about the answers to your two questions, so I would check with your dealer if you don't get a definitive answer from other members. However, I think the mats do fit because the floor pans for both MK1 & 2 Fabia's are very similar. The Mk2 version is I understand extended slightly and reinforced at strategic points. Your spare wheel is also a different size I suspect to the ones fitted on your new car.

The spare wheel you have from your Mk1 should have the same rolling resitance as the alloys on your Sport. We've done exactly this on our Mk2 Furby:-)

JON

Thanks Jon,

So it looks like it would fit. I'm not bothered about rolling resistance, or that it'll be a steel-rimmed wheel as opposed to the alloy wheel of the new 1.6 Sport. I've never had a car with only a tyre repair kit (or one of those ridiculous temporary wheels), so have been tempted just to keep my old steel-rimmed wheel as a "proper" emergency wheel.

That sounds like what you've done, isn't it?

Thanks again,

Steve

Not sure about the 1.6 Sport but I have the standard level 2 1.6 with lowered suspension and that definately needs the weight of a full sized spare wheel in the back to stabilize it. The Mk1 Fabia would normally have 14" wheels the MK2 either 15" or 16". Can you run a car with three 15" and one 14" wheel? I would have thought the handling would be a problem and the ESP if fitted would need to be turned off.

David

As I say although the wheels are different sizes the tyre profile ensures that the rolling resistance is the same. There will be no probs using the 14" spare from a series 1 Fabia as far as safety and handling are concerned.

Yes Steve that is what i've done.

JON

Edited by vanagonjon

I'm due to take delivery of my new Fabia 1.6 Sport this coming Thursday, 31 December 2009, and I will be saying goodbye to my Fabia 1.4 16V which I've had since early 2001. I'm trading the old Fabia 1.4 16V in for the new car.

I just have a couple of questions as follows:-

1) My new Fabia will be supplied with just a tyre repair kit, as opposed to my old Fabia which had a "proper" steel-rimmed spare wheel. Does anyone know whether my old steel-rimmed spare wheel (with 185/60R14 tyre) would fit my new Fabia? In other words, could I use it as a useable spare, rather than buying a new spare?

2) Does anyone know whether the rubber footmats from my old Fabia would fit the new model?

If anyone has any views, thoughts or input regarding the Fabia 1.6 Sport, I'd also like to hear it. My old Fabia has served me reasonably well over the last 9 years, although quite a few things have been going wrong on it over the past few years, and it's caused a lot of expense. A lovely car to drive though, and I'm expecting the new model to be even nicer. I didi have a little test drive back in October, and was quite impressed with it. It was quite different from my old Fabia, but at the same time pleasantly familiar.

Steve

if you asked your dealer for a full size spare you could have one for £40 instead of the space saving repair kit.

Thanks. Yes - that had occured to me, and have given it a fair bit of consideration. Strangely enough, on the day when I first had the test drive of the car, my wife stayed in the showroom whilst I went with the senior salesman for a spin in my old Fabia 1.4 16V. As my wife was looking at the Fabia 1.6 Sport in the showroom, she got talking to one of the salesmen. She brought up the subject of a spare wheel and the tyre repair kit, and the salesman basically talked her out of having a proper spare wheel, and did his best at selling the virues of the repair kit. On top of that, when I raised the subject again with the senior salesman last week, when I paid my final deposit, he also seemed to be trying to talk me out of a proper spare wheel, mentioning that it could cost me a lot more than I think (!?). I have no idea what he meant, but that's when I started to think about just moving my present spare whell over to the new car. Today I've made the decision to do just that.

Thanks again Jon - and David for your valuable input.

I'll admit that I'm not fully up to speed on a lot of things like this, but my neighbours VW Passat appears to have exactly the same 5 bolt fixing as my present spare wheel. It's good to hear Jon, that that's exactly what you've been doing. I will feel a lot better having a proper wheel that just a tyre repair kit, however useful such a thing might be.

Edited by Dorf Depp

mats from mark 1 do fit mark but i think rear mats are slightly too long or wide by 2 or 3mm -- neglible really and not noticable but they are exactly the same shape.

Thanks fabia55,

I'll give it a go and seee how well they all fit. I'll give an update later.

Off to pick up the new car in a couple of hours.

mats from mark 1 do fit mark but i think rear mats are slightly too long or wide by 2 or 3mm -- neglible really and not noticable but they are exactly the same shape.

I now have my new Fabia 1.6 16V Sport (in white), and have tried out my the old floor mats from my old (traded in) Fabia 1.4 16V Comfort. Yes - they do fit, although not exactly. It's more than good enough though, and I'm happy. Basically, the new Fabia has floor mat locating nipples in the floor at the front, which don't quite match up with the locating holes on the mats. I don't see this as a problem, however, as my old Fabia didn't have such locating nipples in the floor. The rear mats are very slightly bigger than the floor area of the new Fabia, but that also is fairly insignificant. I have stored my old spare (steel-rimmed) wheel in the rear (spare wheel) storage space of the new car - and everything appears as if it'd be OK.

Now I'll have to find a way of getting rid of my old Skoda roof rack to someone.

Thanks very much for all input. Hopefully I'll get to recognise some of you over the coming months a bit more, and feel more "at home" on this forum.

Happy New Year to you!

Steve

I now have my new Fabia 1.6 16V Sport (in white), and have tried out my the old floor mats from my old (traded in) Fabia 1.4 16V Comfort. Yes - they do fit, although not exactly. It's more than good enough though, and I'm happy. Basically, the new Fabia has floor mat locating nipples in the floor at the front, which don't quite match up with the locating holes on the mats. I don't see this as a problem, however, as my old Fabia didn't have such locating nipples in the floor. The rear mats are very slightly bigger than the floor area of the new Fabia, but that also is fairly insignificant. I have stored my old spare (steel-rimmed) wheel in the rear (spare wheel) storage space of the new car - and everything appears as if it'd be OK.

Now I'll have to find a way of getting rid of my old Skoda roof rack to someone.

Thanks very much for all input. Hopefully I'll get to recognise some of you over the coming months a bit more, and feel more "at home" on this forum.

Happy New Year to you!

Steve

Steve, when you get a chance can you find a local road that has alot of bumps and pot holes then drive down it on your own with the spare installed in the boot. Drive home, take the spare out and then go back out and drive down the same road. Does the car drive the same or does it now dive/sway down the holes and bumps? My 1.6l was terrible without the weight of a spare wheel.

Steve, when you get a chance can you find a local road that has alot of bumps and pot holes then drive down it on your own with the spare installed in the boot. Drive home, take the spare out and then go back out and drive down the same road. Does the car drive the same or does it now dive/sway down the holes and bumps? My 1.6l was terrible without the weight of a spare wheel.

Thanks again Dave,

Interesting to hear your experiences. I might see if I can try out what you suggest - plenty of poor surfaced roads around this part of West Kent/East Sussex! I do now have the spare wheel secured in the back, so I'll get plenty of chances over the coming week or so to see how it rides. So far, I've only drivn it from the dealer and home - about 9 miles in total. I must say it feels very nice so far - quiter than my old 1.4 16V and pulls better. Not that I'm going to make it work too much before it's done 1000 miles though.

It does look rather nice in white. It's not a colour I would normally consider, but it does seem to suit it. The demonstrator I test drove was bright yellow. Again, this isn't a colour that I would normally consider, but it also looked "right" for the car. I was tempted to buy it in yellow, but decided on white in the end.

I'll be interested to see how it compares in economy campared to my old car.

Anyway - thanks to everyone again for the war welcome to this forum. Happy New Year to all. I'll see if I can take a few piccies soon.

Steve

I see a Yellow Fabia II Sport locally and I must agree , it does look very good in that colour as well , I think Yellow , Red (with white roof) and White would be my 3 choices if I were buying a new Fabia Sport.

Anyway - thanks to everyone again for the war welcome to this forum. Happy New Year to all. I'll see if I can take a few piccies soon.

you too. we look forward to seeing the pics

are you thinking of any upgrades or keeping it as standard

Edited by fabia55

you too. we look forward to seeing the pics

are you thinking of any upgrades or keeping it as standard

No, I'm not considering any upgrades. I'm most likely to keep it absolutely as standard. I don't know if I will, but a roof rack is about the most I'd "upgrade" to. I don't suppose that really counts!!!??? I wouldn't keep it on all the time though - only when required. My old Fabia has been a really nice car to drive, and this new model also appears to offer excellent value for money. It's a work horse really (rather than a hobby), transporting me to work and back - and the occasional holiday. I might consider driving it on the continent next year, so that should put a few miles on it. I'm very pleased to have bought the new Fabia, but would rather have spent the money on a new set of loudspeakers. Perhaps I'm a weirdo???!!!

no you're not, i decided not to spend any more on my home hi fi and upgraded my car speakers instead. I'm doing up the rest of the sound proofing in the car cos that kills the sound. I'm running in my speakers at the moment.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I come from Serbia and currently I am driving the pre FL Skoda fabia II 1,6 sport.I have one question about VAG diagnostics in this generation of Fabia.I would like to turn on some function if it is possible.her are the pictures of my car:

p5030088.jpgp5030073.jpgp5030075.jpgp5030077.jpgp5030078.jpgp5030079.jpgp5030081.jpgp5030084.jpgp5030085.jpgp5030086.jpg

p5030090.jpgp5030093.jpgp5030095.jpgp5030098.jpgp5030101.jpgp5030105.jpgp5030106.jpgp5030107.jpg

Hello,

I come from Serbia and currently I am driving the pre FL Skoda fabia II 1,6 sport.I have one question about VAG diagnostics in this generation of Fabia.I would like to turn on some function if it is possible.her are the pictures of my car:

Welcome :)

Some very nice pictures of your car there.

We have a storm blue one :)

p5030088.jpgp5030073.jpgp5030075.jpgp5030077.jpgp5030078.jpgp5030079.jpgp5030081.jpgp5030084.jpgp5030085.jpgp5030086.jpg

p5030090.jpgp5030093.jpgp5030095.jpgp5030098.jpgp5030101.jpgp5030105.jpgp5030106.jpgp5030107.jpg

Edited by vRSLen