extension MDI cable?

Hi all, wow am I pleased to discover these forums!!

I've just taken delivery of a new Octavia estate, and without really being sure of the ins and outs, I ordered an MDI cable for my iPhone. I was hoping to be able to get a bracket and have my iPhone within reach so I could e.g. display Google Maps (with traffic), yet control my music (iPod function) through the wonderful Bolero touchscreen.

But there are 2 problems: firstly the MDI cable is only about 20cm long so the iPhone has to live in the glove box :( and the Bolero will only seem to show a list of all the songs and podcasts alphabetically, rather than in albums or by artist.

On the second point, am I missing some important setup? But more crucially, can I buy and a reasonable length extension to the MDI cable?

Thank you all in advance,

Hamish

Right, OK, reckon I can answer my own question. I think I should just get one of these:

http://www.wirester.com/apple-iphone-4gb-8gb-16gb-dock-connector-extension-cable.html

Or alternatively I could junk the iPod MDI cable and get the 3.5mm stereo jack MDI cable instead, extend that easily, and control the iPod functions from the iPhone.

Well ... maybe this thread will help someone else :) Or am I making a fundamental mistake?

Right, OK, reckon I can answer my own question. I think I should just get one of these:

http://www.wirester....sion-cable.html

Or get the same cable from ebay for £3 instead?

Or alternatively I could junk the iPod MDI cable and get the 3.5mm stereo jack MDI cable instead, extend that easily, and control the iPod functions from the iPhone.

Do you mean input via the aux socket in the jumbo box as that's a standard 3.5mm<>3.5mm cable?

Hi all, wow am I pleased to discover these forums!!

I've just taken delivery of a new Octavia estate, and without really being sure of the ins and outs, I ordered an MDI cable for my iPhone. I was hoping to be able to get a bracket and have my iPhone within reach so I could e.g. display Google Maps (with traffic), yet control my music (iPod function) through the wonderful Bolero touchscreen.

But there are 2 problems: firstly the MDI cable is only about 20cm long so the iPhone has to live in the glove box :( and the Bolero will only seem to show a list of all the songs and podcasts alphabetically, rather than in albums or by artist.

On the second point, am I missing some important setup? But more crucially, can I buy and a reasonable length extension to the MDI cable?

Thank you all in advance,

Hamish

Hamish,

Dont know if this helps but I have a touch connected to a Columbus head unit, when you see the alphabetical list of songs on mine there are two 'file' type options on the screen the first top right is the 'back' option and top left is a sort of 'folder' icon, if you select the folder icon this takes you up to a higher level menu for selection by artist etc. I dont know if yours works the same way but thought it might help.

Regards

Modorator

• 1 month later...

on the subject of ipod and the MDI cable. Skoda lists 3 cables Ipod, USB and Mini-USB. My question is, being new to the whole Ipod world (just had one bought as a present) which lead would be best? I was thinking of gettin the USB one that way I can use the Ipod or a harddrive. Unless of course the connection is not like the USB port on a pc (if that makes sense)

Anyone able to help as I'm a numpty to be honest!

on the subject of ipod and the MDI cable. Skoda lists 3 cables Ipod, USB and Mini-USB. My question is, being new to the whole Ipod world (just had one bought as a present) which lead would be best? I was thinking of gettin the USB one that way I can use the Ipod or a harddrive. Unless of course the connection is not like the USB port on a pc (if that makes sense)

Anyone able to help as I'm a numpty to be honest!

If you have a iPod, use the MDI to iPod cable - AZO 800 001

Ipod gen ≤ 3 does not charge.

The MDI to USB - AZO 800 002 version is for USB-stick. USB 1.1, USB 2.0.

I have both cables, MDI to USB - AZO 800 002 does not work with USB to iPhone-cable!

For harddrive/PDA with mini USB, use MDI to mini USB - AZO 800 003

MDI to 3,5 mm jack USB - AZO 800 004 is for line/earphone out on mp3 players, GPS etc.

MDI Media - compatible music players

(PDF)

Edited by ola_h

• 8 months later...

I have just bought a new Yeti, in Spain. I need an MDI cable to connect my Sony Walkman MP3 player but all the MDI cables seem to be for iPod's. Can anyone help me in regards to what cable I need. Thanks in anticipation.

If your MP3 player functions as a mass storage device when connected to a PC (drive letter in explorer) then get the appropriate usb cable and you can control the music via the headunit.

Otherwise get the 3.5mm MDI cable and you'll have to control the player through its own controls.