4x4 in snow - problem

Guest musky

My 4x4 will pull away as well as ever, but when going straight at fairly low speeds (10 - 30mph) on snow/ice/slush, it does not feel connected to the road - in fact it feels like a bad shopping trolley. This is very different from how it has felt in the past when it inspired a lot of confidence. At the moment it is just the opposite. On a dry road it feels ok maybe a bit twitchy/tramliny. Had it up on a ramp and had the tracking checked today - nothing. Tyres have 4-5 mm left and are all at 30psi. Any ideas? This is really spoiling my winter :'(

My 4x4 will pull away as well as ever, but when going straight at fairly low speeds (10 - 30mph) on snow/ice/slush, it does not feel connected to the road - in fact it feels like a bad shopping trolley. This is very different from how it has felt in the past when it inspired a lot of confidence. At the moment it is just the opposite. On a dry road it feels ok maybe a bit twitchy/tramliny. Had it up on a ramp and had the tracking checked today - nothing. Tyres have 4-5 mm left and are all at 30psi. Any ideas? This is really spoiling my winter :'(

I have the same problem but not with a 4x4. It is just in the mind about being a bit twitchy?

Now this is strange mine has been like this and it started before the cold snap (non 4x4) i keep thinking maybe it's just in my head! :S but i have no real confidence in the car it feels very unconneted at the moment! :thumbdown:

It is waggling its tail for want of a better description. It doesn't start straight away and its not the same all the time but when its bad its getting scary - today I could only just keep up with an R reg Fiesta :( Its like a dodgy shopping trolley, yet get it onto fresh snow or dry road and its ok.

Probably just that your normal summer tyres don't like the very cold weather that we are having at the moment. The rubber will have become very stiff and won't be gripping as it would if the temperature was higher.

the biggest problem is that after so many days of cold, you are not driving on snow as it has all turned to ice. As such the surface is like greased gravel :D I agree though that nice fresh snow is so much nicer to drive on, especially if the gritters don't get to it first - keeps the roads nice and clear as people don't venture out. I must add that the Hankook evo12's have worked really well providing adequate traction in anything from 1"-6" of snow and all the ice that has followed.

Also your driving over compacted snow/ice and It isn't a flat level. It will be compacted at different depths causing a very uneven slippy bumpy road.

I must also Karlbar2k comments about the Hankook Evo12 tyres, mine have been great too for a non winter tyre :thumbup:

Dont forget the octy 4x4 is not permanent 4 wheel drive, once you are rolling on the ice it reverts back to being a standard FWD car. The 4WD only comes into play when pulling away, and then only if the front wheels lose traction is the power transfered to the rear wheels.

I wouldn't worry about it dont forget the salt put onto roads only works to around -6c or so, with snow being compacted on roads & continuos freezing conditions its down to the roads & not the car.

Probably just that your normal summer tyres don't like the very cold weather that we are having at the moment. The rubber will have become very stiff and won't be gripping as it would if the temperature was higher.

Yep this is what im thinking at the moment, will see what it's like when it warms up abit. I cant wait for that! :)

All these things may be true but the problem is I've had the car for the last 7 years and for 5 of them it has been very good on snow/ice etc down to -6c, and now feels like it is "castering" but not all the time. Went to the chinese last night and my daughter said it made her feel seasick. Its possibly the tyres - Bridgestone Turanza - as I've not had them before, but otherwise they seem ok. I drove on a very slippery road this morning when it was colder than last night and it felt better. Its nothing to do with 4x4/traction I think as if I turn ESP off its just the same. I wondered if one of the brakes was sticking on a bit causing it to skid then not skid on patchy ice but all the wheels turned ok. I booted it around this morning - no traffic - and it was no different driven gently or hard, so I don't think its grip thats the problem. If it is the tyres then they'll have to stay until kn*ckered - probably late spring so it'll be irrelavant till next winter :doh: when if its not gone away I'll get rid of it and buy a high powered BM :giggle:

I did drive through one lot of snow on a corner that was mid wheel height. I had to stop in it in order to get out and help push the poor saps in a Clio that were blocking the road :giggle: To be fair to them there was hardly any snow in either direction apart from this bit where it had drifted. We pushed them to safety where they were waiting for a relative with a Jeep to tow them home! The occupants asked if I needed a push to get going to which I answered no - with fingers crossed, it was pretty deep - but the car pulled away no problem. So not a traction problem :thumbup: Now all the snows melted and it feels fine on normal roads so I guess I'll have to wait till next year :doh: Unless something falls off in the mean time.

I'd be fairly confident it's your tyres.

I've seen plenty of the Audi "i've got 4x4 Ho!" brigade getting started, driving then going completely sideways.

All you can do is get something like Quatrac3 or winter tyres or wait until it thaws and see if it's the same.

The movement is probably the effect of the car moving from FWD to AWD and back as it gains and loses traction at the front, causing the car to weave very slightly from side to side on the ice depending on where is actually driving due to grip.

I'd be fairly confident it's your tyres.

I've seen plenty of the Audi "i've got 4x4 Ho!" brigade getting started, driving then going completely sideways.

All you can do is get something like Quatrac3 or winter tyres or wait until it thaws and see if it's the same.

The movement is probably the effect of the car moving from FWD to AWD and back as it gains and loses traction at the front, causing the car to weave very slightly from side to side on the ice depending on where is actually driving due to grip.

If its the tyres it must be only the Bridgestones, as previously I've had Goodyears and Pirelli's that didn't do it at all. All the snow gone here now ( :( ) and I reckon these tyres will last till maybe April/May when I'll get something else, but that won't prove anything till next year - if it snows at all! The roads round here are now just normal and if anything the car is going better than normal - might just be an after effect of all the slippery stuff