Credible Yeti Alternatives

PeteVRS

And where did all the space go? Outside the Kuga looks quite big, but inside it's tiny, particularly in the rear.

Also, like most Fords, it's too expensive (before discounting of course).

Yes as for discounting. Local dealer immediately offered 4k off list without even discussing figures.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that a lot of Ford cars that I drive do handle well but feel so obviously built down to a price in terms of material quality. I was very impressed with the Yeti at the weekend and thought it reminded me of an Audi in its feel.

Also expecting some link to Blue Propeller technology but no; now that's a refreshing change :beer: :rofl:

Ah - now, is it a blue prop on a white background (ie clouds) or a white prop on a blue (sky) background..? :wonder:

Ah - now, is it a blue prop on a white background (ie clouds) or a white prop on a blue (sky) background..? :wonder:

Well going by wiki it's the white prop cutting through a blue sky :doh:

On the other hand BMW state it's a stylised propeller in blue / white segments, the colours of the Bavarian coat of arms :nerd:

Well going by wiki it's the white prop cutting through a blue sky :doh:

On the other hand BMW state it's a stylised propeller in blue / white segments, the colours of the Bavarian coat of arms :nerd:

Looks like we'll have to wait for someone to come along who actually likes BMWs and wants the casting vote, then... :yes:

I drove around in a UNIMOG for years, brilliant bit of kit, a Yeti could not compare with one of those. The one I had was the easiest vehicle to drive, I have ever owned, incredible off road performance and would manage with care about 15mpg emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Well done for decoding that long wordemoticon-0148-yes.gif:D

A friend of mine in the North East, was looking at buying either a G Wagon (a Glenda Jackson) or a Unimog many many years ago. We borrowed the Unimog for a couple of days during a bad winter and I don’t think I ever laughed harder. What a blast. So high up and so roly-poly, but it really could go anywhere. Sadly his business brain took over and he bought the G Wagon. I think he still regrets it to this day.

Anthony I'm looking for something which is going to be a bit more rugged than a standard car' date=' will cope with bad weather and some limited off roading (that would be unmade tracks and the verges of fields [/quote']

I would echo Anthony's comments. Think very carefully about what you want your 4x4 vehicle to do. I am a Land Agent so spend a lot of time driving around Scotland visiting Farms and Estates which like most sees me on-road far more often than off it. The occaisional requirement to get in the odd field and up the odd rough track here and there made 4x4 desirable (but not essential as I managed with 2wd cars for many years). However raised ground clearance and some protection from where the Mk1 Octy picked up stone chips round the arches, and the sump guard, made the Octavia Scout a logical replacement above the regular Octy 2 4x4 Estate. If anything the 4wd has proved to be a massive bonus over the last few weeks (even on Summer Tyres it's very good) and hooning it on country lanes in fairer weather :giggle: . Neither of these uses require my 4 wheel traction to be packaged in a tall box on stilts. I probably take my Scout genuinely off road more than most and haven't had any issues with the overhangs being more than a dedicated SUV. This doesn't sound a million miles away from your requirements.

My big problem with soft roaders SUV's is this; In aping their bigger brothers (trying to look like a smaller Land Cruiser, Ranger Rover, Disco) they are a stupid shape. Freelander, X-Trail, CR-V, Kuga, Tiguan, etc, you are paying at the pumps every time to push a brick through the air. Then you get to the boot - Short and Tall, great. In going down the Scout route I get an Estate car shape. A massive genuinely usable boot for family stuff, moutain biking, kayaking, you name it with very little compromise over a 2wd Estate in terms of running costs, looks, handling, ergonomics, etc.

Many people are thinking of 4wd as a knee-jerk reaction to weather we haven't experienced for 30 years and may not see for another 30 (this current cold spell coming back hard in subsequent weeks not included!). Unless the snow is deeper than the ground clearance of the vehicle any Audi quattro would be as good a choice as a Qashqai (4wd) or Freelander,etc for driving on snowy roads.

My list of alternatives would be:

From Skoda (this a Skoda Forum after all):

- Octavia 4x4 if you need a big boot but don't need the plastic bits/sump guard

- Octavia Scout if you need a big boot and need the plastic bits/sump guard

- Yeti if you don't need a big boot

The Others

- Volvo XC70

- Audi Allroad

- Subaru Outback (the previous generation with the Diesel, not the current abomination, but Subaru's inability to currrently make a good looking car is a seperate topic altogether...)

If it's really just traction in snow you're concerned about

- Any Audi Quattro (choose size and shape to fit, A3, A4, A6)

- Subaru Legacy/Impreza (see above about Subaru)

- VW 4Motions

- Any other road car you can think of that has 4wd. Ideally not permanent to help with fuel econmomy.

If you're really concerned about form over function then go for a Freelander, CR-V, X-TRail, Outlander et al. Yes they technically have better overhangs than some of the above and maybe fancier electronic aids in some cases for that Amazonian exploring that they all do......

But in the real world of day to day driving these shouldn't really be on your radar unless you own a piece of genuinely rough ground you have to cross on a regular basis (but then you'd probably get a proper utilitarian mud plugger for this anyway......)

Niall

Spot on post Nialemoticon-0148-yes.gif. I think you summed it up perfectly. I tool around in a Sedici during the winter and it is a bit of overkill, except when I am up North and need a diff lock to get up some of the hills around my mums. Part time 4x4s don’t seem to be able to keep constant traction well enough for the steepest fo these hills. But you are right. I had a couple of Imprezas and never got stuck, even when I was working up in Balmoral in fairly heavy snow.

I have to agree with Niall. The all-wheel drive and 4x4 market are created by fashion no doubt enhanced by the recent weather. Their really is no need other than desire for the vast majority of these vehicles to be on the road. That said, it is a free world and I would not legislate against it necessarily. It does force up the price of these sort of vehicles for those that genuinely need them and it gives the Government argument to drive up the Taxes and make anti 4x4 legislation that we all end up paying regardless. I live off road, I have land and need to access it and get in and out, I have a genuine need for this sort of vehicle. I am trying to down size because of costs. Normally I would be driving around in very large 4x4 vehicles. If I lived in the metropolis, I would not need this type of vehicle day to day other than for pleasurable pursuit, so for a normal car I would be looking at something less bulky, more aerodynamic, better handling, better performance and better economy. The above comments are why I asked the question in my original reply, what use the car would be put too.

My UNIMOG had a manual change over a torque converter driven by a 6 cyl 6 litre engine It had portal axles with difflocks in both. This torque converter meant that one did not need to depress the clutch at traffic lights or short stops, one just stayed in gear with the brake on. It would pull away in any gear and climb in high gear also if one wanted. Of course this would eventually heat the oil in the converter so was not good practice to overdo it.

I too have owned a G-Wagon. Wonderful cars superbly made, excellent off road with difflocks in both axles just as the UNIMOG has. The thing that used to let the Mercedes G-Wagon down was the poor engines. The diesels where a joke, had no real power, ie torque and where overwhelmed by the task of pushing such a heavy car around. The engines were not very special even in the saloon cars for which they were designed. The petrol motors in the G-Wagon cold move a bit if they were revved out. very thirsty.

Amanda, their are no mettled roads in GB that a normal 2 wheel drive car can not negotiate, except in sever weather with ice or deep snow. With the correct tyres, 2 wheel drive cars will tackle most roads even with snow. I had a Rover 220 SDi shod with legal "E" marked Forest Stage Rally Tyres and that would climb the steepest roads and hills in the snow here in Wales. In fact it would go across wet greasy fields better than some full sized 4x4 shod with normal road tyres, differential lock engaged or not. Only lack of ground clearance and departure angles let it down. Of course equippe the 4x4 vehicles with appropriate mud terrain tyres and they would leave it struggling in the first bog I do not accept that part time 4 wheel drive vehicle would have difficulty with the correct tyres on most GB roads even in the snow. Also part time 4x4 is a term that can also represent cars with manual 4x4 selection. That is normally they might be 2 wheel drive but by selecting full time 4 wheel drive at the transfer box they become full time 4x4. Many old series Landrovers operate this system as do older Mercedes G-Wagons also and quite a few others including many older Japanese off road cars. Effectively most of these when in full time mode operate just as a normal 4x4 wit the difflock engaged. Today cars with modern electronics such as the Yeti with its Haldex 4 would be very capable indeed only limited by clearances, angles of attack and departure and tyres. Indeed a full sized 4x4 equipped with such electronic wizardry would go a very long way in the ruff stuff, My own Toyota Landcruiser 4.2VX has a full time four wheel drive system but unlike many Landrovers except I thing for one older Ragerover has a Limited Slip Centre Differential that has fully locking differential lock. This is brilliant and allows one to traverse very rough and slippery terrain before the centre differential lock or any of the axle differential locks need to be engaged. Tyres make very significant changes to a vehicles capability and performance. Today it climbed a very icy, compacted snow steep road and it did not need the centre differential locking, it just sailed up as expected.

Amanda, their are no mettled roads in GB that a normal 2 wheel drive car can not negotiate, except in sever weather with ice or deep snow.

That simply is not true. Sorry. I originally hail from a part of the world that sees a reasonable amount of snow and is very hilly. Unless every single driver in the Tyne and Wear/Co Durham area is incompetent, then you are wrong. Some hills are too steep to cycle up almost and as a regular cyclist with several bikes, that means there are some very steep hills. Also many hills are winding and traction becomes an issue when serious lock is applied. No Front wheel drive will get up some of the hills I am talking about, unless the driver has a front dif lock, some serious tyres and a fair bit of luck. Perhaps what you consider severe weather I consider to be normal Wintery weather, that might explain that we are coming from a different starting point. I have been in Disco 3s that have struggled to get up hills and that is ones with the rear diff lock too. The hill out of my mums village can cause a front wheel drive car to spin it’s wheels going up it in heavy rain.

It is also an area of drifting and as I have a photo of me standing on the top of one, with my upstretched hands only a few feet below the telegraph wires, I think I am not a snow virgin either (Brimma.......leave it!).

Amanda, Wales is not exactly flat. I have driven on many roads throughout GB including some of the steepest in all manor of vehicles one wheel drive,two wheel drive, four wheel drive and six front or rear wheel drive. Their is no public road that has a tarmacadam surface that any of these would have failed to negotiate even in the rain. Ice/snow yes.

In response to Anthony, I find that climbing the hill isn't the problem - it's descending it, particularly if it is covered in rutted / angled sheet ice !

In coming to the Yeti, I drove the Tiguan (Horrid ride), the Subaru Forester (Practical but very bouncy ride), the Volvo XC60 ( Comfortable but v big & clumsy), the Toyota RAV4 (Agricultural), the Honda CRV (OK-ish but reviews of horrendous repair costs put me off), Kuga ( V ordinary, + no hill descent), the BMW X3 (Over-rated, over priced and a horrid ride) and I'd already driven a Scout. (Made me car-sick - though have no idea why)

Last but definitely least, the Freelander, where the official demonstrator had a wiper blade that smeared the screen, the rear wiper didn't work, one brake light was out, and the consumption was pathetic. It also seemed to have very little room in it, considering it's size. If that was a sample of what was being sold, then I felt I could do better.

I have to confess that I bought a Volvo XC60, but my wife hated it as she couldn''t see any of the corners, and I subsequently discovered all sorts of little things which drove me mad. Like - there are so many small buttons on the central console that you need to take your eyes off the road to see which one you're pressing; you can't see the fog light switches at all from the driver's seat; the fuel consumption is nowhere near the "official" figure; the steering is vague. Having said all that, it was really comforatble and the front seats were terrific. But it ain't so good in narrow lanes in the Lakes, and turning it was rather like turning an oil tanker.

Time to think again, so the Volvo has disappeared into the ether, and I soon take delivery of a silver Yeti demonstrator with 2K on the clock. Hopefully the end of this week - I'll keep you posted on how things work out.

I agree, descending need some attention.

I have only sat in the Volvo XC60, it was in a showroom, it appeared very plush. Volvo seat s are purported to be the most comfortable around, I do not know where I gathered that information so I can not vouch for its certainty. They seemed up to the Job for the few moments that I sat in them. The thing that I immediately noticed and felt uncomfortable was a feeling of being far too close to the front screen and pillar. It was disconcerting and I could easily imagine banging ones head. Perhaps it is not like that once the seats have been properly adjusted for driving. The d5 a good engine in its day, it is getting a bit old now. I am glad that you do not find it so wonderful because it is too expensive for me and so I will not feel I have missed out :D It also felt a little encasing or claustrophobic. I liked the X3 however and did not feel it harsh in 3.0 SE mode on my behind but many seem to , I certainly liked the handling on the road but did not get the opportunity to have it for an extensive period or take it off road.

Amanda, Wales is not exactly flat. I have driven on many roads throughout GB including some of the steepest in all manor of vehicles one wheel drive,two wheel drive, four wheel drive and six front or rear wheel drive. Their is no public road that has a tarmacadam surface that any of these would have failed to negotiate even in the rain. Ice/snow yes.

Well it is unfortunate that nobody in the North East can negotiate the hills of which I speak in 2 wheel drive cars. Sadly not a single one of them is as talented as yourself and when I sit at home and watch the cars get stuck on the 1.5 mile hill that leads to my mums house (it’s a great view) I now realise it is purely that they are incompetent and always have been for the last 40 years that I have watched them.