Credible Yeti Alternatives

PeteVRS

Are there any Yeti owners here who test drove alternative 4x4s and settled on the Yeti? If so, what did you drive and what did you like/not like in comparison to the Yeti?

I'm interested in alternatives I should consider going to look at. The Qashqai was a nice drive but I thought you got more for the money with the Yeti, better performance and the sun roof also opens! The Tiguan has some gadgets I like the look of (rear camera) and the option of a 2.0tsi but the cost is way up!!

Any comments on the new 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe?

Someone has suggested to me I should also look at used Range Rovers - genuinely good off road and comfortable (but slow?).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might depend on what sort of use you want to put it too or what your looking for in a car. You have chosen crossover/soft roaders. Are you looking for a car with four wheel drive and with some off road capability or is it, its appearance or family friendly design that appeals. that could help narrow down the choices.

After quite a few weeks of looking at the market of small to mid size SUV's I finally got it down to either the Yeti or the Volvo XC60. After speccing up the XC60 to around 37k and realising I was having to pay axtra for items that were standard on the Yeti and then finally getting a good look around one two weeks ago - I thought the Yeti made far better use of the internal space and, for me, scored big points for the flexible rear seating setup in particular. :-) I also liked the fact that it wasnt as big as the XC60 externally!

So even though they are from a slightly different class, they were the only two I considered right to the end! :)

Are there any Yeti owners here who test drove alternative 4x4s and settled on the Yeti? If so, what did you drive and what did you like/not like in comparison to the Yeti?

I'm interested in alternatives I should consider going to look at. The Qashqai was a nice drive but I thought you got more for the money with the Yeti, better performance and the sun roof also opens! The Tiguan has some gadgets I like the look of (rear camera) and the option of a 2.0tsi but the cost is way up!!

Any comments on the new 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe?

Someone has suggested to me I should also look at used Range Rovers - genuinely good off road and comfortable (but slow?).

Hi Pete,

Drove both the LR Defender and Disco I including TD5 fairly regularly when I was in the RAF, both good off road but not so on road; fairly noisy and unrefined.

Test drove the Qashqai a couple of years back in 2ltr diesel 4x4 guise, not very impressed with the bland and low rent interior, lack of space for adults in the back and somehow I could not take to the exterior styling and still can't.

Had a couple of test drives last year in the Tiguan TDI 140 4x4 Sport. Fairly similar driving experience to the Yeti but like the Qashqai I was not taken by the exterior styling or interior; looked outdated compared to the Golf V I had at the time.

My Dad until recently had a Kia Sorento, quite liked that from a design point of view but on the move unrefined. Brother-in-law has a company Freelander I commercial which spends just as much time in the garage as it does on the road. Although a former colleague P/X'd his 2006 Grand Vitara which he felt was very poor for a Freelander II auto and been well impressed.

TP

Thanks for the replies - very useful info.

Anthony I'm looking for something which is going to be a bit more rugged than a standard car, will cope with bad weather and some limited off roading (that would be unmade tracks and the verges of fields - but not the Amazon jungle, sand, rivers etc). However on road to be refined and comfortable. I would like something with a little bit of speed, not necessarily off the lights, but I cannot live without overtaking grunt as I have to drive on some of East Anglia's A roads. I like my gadgets, and would like a good opening roof, parking assistance, heated windscreen would be a bonus. Four wheel drive is desirable.

Budget (up to 20k-25k) means the better stuff is out of my reach (Range Rover etc) at least if buying new.

The more you start looking around the more sense the Yeti makes for the money. I am just wondering if there is anything else worth looking at. The recent weather has left me thinking whether I should look at something more rugged and with permanent 4x4. But if I'm honest, the number of snowy days is still limited in this country and I think tyre choice is as important as four wheel drive. Also at my budget, getting something better off road means something that won't be as good for on road (99% of my driving).

My comparison would be with a current generation Honda diesel CRV, which my wife runs and so which I drive quite often at weekends, holidays etc.

It's overall a pretty good vehicle, comfortable, lots of toys (on the top of the range, eg radar cruise control, rear view camera etc), fairly refined except under hard acceleration and generally well-finished. Pricewise, probably not too different from a Yeti - maybe £1-3K more after discounts but obviously depending on exact specs. Maybe an ex-demo CRV would be similarly priced to a new Yeti.

For driver ergonomics (and gear change aside), the CRV knocks spots off the Yeti: seats are comfortable with decent side-support; electric chairs are an option; the dials are clear, properly marked and elegantly laid out AND can all be clearly seen through the steering wheel - a text-book (in my text-book at least) example of how it should be done - Skoda please note.

It's overall a good car, but what's encouraging me to look beyond it to a Yeti for my own next car (which is primarily just for on-road use so it's almost a side-issue that it's a 4x4) are three main factors:

The CRV still feels a bit big and unwieldy to me, as someone who prefers smaller and more nimble cars. OK the Yeti is maybe only half a size smaller but to me that's an important step down. The Yeti feels altogether more under control when pressing on.

The CRV still pitches and bounces too much eg on many of the less than wonderfully surfaced fen roads. The Yeti suspension copes much better.

Performance: The CRV just doesn't have quite enough go for me. I'm not expecting a supercar but the CR170 or 18.TSi Yeti both do pass my exam in this respect.

CRV gear-change (out of the lower dash) I still can't get properly used to. It's not bad, but the gear stick is just not exactly where you expect it to be nor is the change anything like as slick as the Yeti.

Edited by prodata

Peter, join the club!

I'm looking in the same way, but with a requirement of regular and sometimes fairly challenging off road use, as I do radio on car rallies and 4x4 events.

I have looked at the following, diesels only, based on price:

Freelander 2, all the toys I need and known good off-road ability (I had a day at Eastnor!!)

Kia Sportage, expensive road tax, fairly good off-road

Vitara, horrible!!

Honda CRV, limited off-road ability, thirsty.

X Trail, too many reported problems.

Kia Sorrento, too big and thirsty.

Fiat Panda 4x4 (don't laugh!!) too small for my needs but BRILLIANT off road!!

Qashgai, too expensive and very limited off road

Skoda Octi Scout, like but more expensive and not as good off-road.

I was at the local LR dealer yesterday, and they have brought out a limited edition FL2 White or Black. Price for the white is £19500, and it looks interesting. The salesman said that the Yeti was one of the vehicles it was priced against!?

It is a shame the local dealers haven't got a decent off road course you could try the Yeti on. The one I have test driven was horrified when I suggested it. LR offer a half day if you show a lot of interest.

Edited by Llanigraham

Don't forget the RAV4. My father-in-law has one and its been bombproof.

My impression is that its getting a bit dated now, and drives a bit like a truck, but its robust and has a bit more space in the boot than a Yeti.

The diesel returns decent economy and has a range of 4x4 setting.

Les.

I was at the local LR dealer yesterday, and they have brought out a limited edition FL2 White or Black. Price for the white is £19500, and it looks interesting. The salesman said that the Yeti was one of the vehicles it was priced against!?

It is a shame the local dealers haven't got a decent off road course you could try the Yeti on. The one I have test driven was horrified when I suggested it. LR offer a half day if you show a lot of interest.

The fact that LR consider the Yeti a threat doesn't surprise me, always felt the Yeti Elegance was spec'd to tempt base model Freelander customers to the Yeti fold. Speaking to a local chap with a Freelander II auto the other week, he was interested in my Monster as he finds the LR expensive to run but needs a 4x4 with living on a Farm.

Probably get no joy but have you tried contacting SUK marketing re off-roading a Monster, as they gave some to the course marshalls on the Scottish rally to try out.

TP

When I sold Volkswagen Touaregs we were actively encouraged to invite people to try the car off road (to begin with at least). I am sure that Skoda UK would entertain something similar if enough people were interested.

That sounds like a "project" for the end of next week..

Due to the expected weather I have booked into a Travelodge for 3 nights. I didn't fancy my Mid Wales to the Marches journey at 0400!!

Unfortunately I probably won't have much web access from work.

Oh and it is snowing again here!!

Thanks for the replies - very useful info.

Anthony I'm looking for something which is going to be a bit more rugged than a standard car, will cope with bad weather and some limited off roading (that would be unmade tracks and the verges of fields - but not the Amazon jungle, sand, rivers etc). However on road to be refined and comfortable. I would like something with a little bit of speed, not necessarily off the lights, but I cannot live without overtaking grunt as I have to drive on some of East Anglia's A roads. I like my gadgets, and would like a good opening roof, parking assistance, heated windscreen would be a bonus. Four wheel drive is desirable.

Budget (up to 20k-25k) means the better stuff is out of my reach (Range Rover etc) at least if buying new.

The more you start looking around the more sense the Yeti makes for the money. I am just wondering if there is anything else worth looking at. The recent weather has left me thinking whether I should look at something more rugged and with permanent 4x4. But if I'm honest, the number of snowy days is still limited in this country and I think tyre choice is as important as four wheel drive. Also at my budget, getting something better off road means something that won't be as good for on road (99% of my driving).

It sounds like you have already reached the right conclusion, so place your oprder and join the fun.

Previous experience is with Nissans Terrano and X-Trail. Both are good off-roaders but are heavy, both in weight and on fuel. The Yeti has the advantage of the most recent off-road technology. Haldex clutch and electronic control systems are pretty advanced.

I have driven my SE with "off-road" button on ungritted back roads for the past 10 days without any problems. All the systems worked as advertised with good uphill and downhill control and positive steering response. (All this on the standard Goodyear tyres)

I accept that a good set of Winter tyres would be a better combination but The extra cost is a step too far at present. Maybe next Winter. Having said that, the Yeti driven with care is as good as any Off-roader and better than some. Green Laneing and field use may suggest that the Rough Road Package may be a benefit.

Don't forget the RAV4. My father-in-law has one and its been bombproof.

My impression is that its getting a bit dated now, and drives a bit like a truck, but its robust and has a bit more space in the boot than a Yeti.

The diesel returns decent economy and has a range of 4x4 setting.

Les.

We went to look at the RAV4, the dealer told us a new one is on the horizon - surprised the sales guy told us such information! We walked out.

Also considered the X-Trail, Subaru Forester and LR Freelander. Overall the thing that swung it towards the Yeti was our Octavia 4x4 which has been so brilliant since we had it and in the snow has been quite frankly astonishingly good.

In the past we have owned an X-Trail - good but never tested off-road or in difficult conditions. LR Freelander 2, superb, very capable...but in some ways less confidence inspiring than our Octavia 4x4 in snow and icy conditions mainly because of its size and weight - although I'd say for full off-road action it would be hard to beat. An X5 - not really an off roader, lets be honest. A Discovery 3 - fantastic vehicle in so many ways, great if you have a family (we do not), it was just too big for us.

Overall, considering the amount of off road ability we need - which is just snow / ice on road and to maybe drive across our land (nothing too difficult, just a field basically) the Yeti fits the bill perfectly.

In all honesty there are some unrealistic and unfair comparisons being presented here. I don't really see such as Land Rover Defenders, Discovery, Range Rovers, and other big 4x4's as being anything like comparable to the Yeti. For starter there is probably a tonne or so difference in weight, as well as many other physical differences, and practical diferences.

The other day, I used TD5 Defender to pull a broken down tractor (1.7 tonne) out of a snowy field, into a barn for repair. Due to the gearing, weight and agricultural setup of the Defender it wasn't a big task. However, as good as the Yeti may be in the snow it wouldn't be comparable in such circumstances. Just as the Defender wouldn't come near the Yeti in many areas where the Yeti excels. Basically it is 'horses for courses', and many other motors which do a good all round job, and are marginally better in some areas than others.

The vehicles that I would say are in the same segment of the market are such as, the Rav4, CRV, Freelander, XC70, Scout, Panda 4x4, Vitara, Qashqi, X1, Tiguan plus a handful of other soft roaders by such as Citroen, Peugeot and couple of others. The big selling point for the Yeti is the anticipated build quality and reliability as shown by Skoda over recent years.

For company car drivers the Yeti also excels in terms of it's emissions, upon which BIK tax is of course based. Only the Rav4 and X1 are in the same league.

As an example an unmodified Yeti 170 Elegence will cost you £288/month (including fuel) when taxed at 40%.

For a Freelander E Sport Le Diesel it will cost you £387/month in BIK taxation

A Qashqi 2.0dci Teckna 4x4 will cost you £371/month in BIK taxation.

A Honda CRV 2.2 iCDT EX will cost you £360/month in BIK taxation.

So...for a company car driver wanting extra winter stability, grip and safety the Yeti makes an excellent choice, and could make you about £80 to £100 a month better off then many other comparable choices.

Value retention will also prove interesting as the Yeti ages, prediction is that it will be somewhere between....ok and poor! Sadly it's looks make it like 'marmite', so will love it...some won't.

So in conclusion, a lot depends on what your priority uses are for the vehicle, who's paying for it, private or company use etc etc.

Edited by grobster

I presently am a Fabia owner and I am quite interested in the Yeti for my next car due to the 4x4 capabilities and the current weather. I've found this thread interesting but am surprised that no one has mentioned the Ford Kuga or Suziki SX4/Fiat Sedici (same car) as possible Yeti alternatives?

My wife is self funded and had a Fiat Sedici Elegance Diesel until September last year. (not my choice you understand)

Her overall impression was that it was harsh vehicle and not well bolted together with appalling dealer services and relatively expensive to keep on the road. She got shot of it because the thing was starting to rust (roof bars were bubbling) and the wheels were deteriorating badly....all warranty items that the dealer was trying to wriggle out of. From my perspective the thing was pants because I spent a lot of time last year unsticking the thing whereby my octy 4x4 just cruised out of the ice/snow/muck.

She ended up with a toyota urban cruiser (distinctly dodgy name and again not my ideal choice) from the same parent company though separate dealership which is far better bolted together and has a quality feel in the cabin (ish!) and is comparative pennies to keep on the road. even though it has very little ground clearance it has yet to get stuck this winter and the snow is way deeper this year.

marks out of 10

Fiat Sedici Elegance Diesel 4/10

Toyota Urban Cruiser Diesel 6/10.

Ideally she would have inherited my Octy 4x4 instead of me trading it in but she doesn't like "larger" cars

p.s....i looked at the Tiguan/Audi/Kuga/FL2/Beemer and others as a potential against my Snow-monster Elegance CR170....for the spec I want they are a lot more expensive to keep on the road cost anywhere between £5-15k more.

The difference is 2 opulent Caribbean holidays for my family and a few bottles of suntan lotion with a big wad in my wallet to boot.....the Yeti really is a no brainer

Edited by scunjee

I have driven the Ford Kuga and can not think why it has received good media reviews unless it is bribery. It has poor handling, feeling top heavy with remote unsure steering. The ride is poor and choppy, particularly the rear suspension. the interior finish if that is important is poor after reading how good it was it was like cheap stick on bubble vinyl and had a very hard touch. My impressions hen driving it where that it was like a commercial van with extra windows and doors stuck into it. I was very unimpressed oh and the performance was poor when cmpared to the Yeti170CR. I was disappointed as I was led to beleive that it might have some promise.

The Yeti is very very good and difficult to beat at this price. A range above would be the BMW X1, no worthwhile discount. I have not driven one but should be good. BMW X3, I have driven and was very impressed with its on road manors handling was better than the Yeti I felt very sporty and yet supple again different from what the press stated. Internal finish was very good. I drove a used X 3 3.0 SE Auto leather. It was powerful and responsive the X3 35d must be phenomenal. New the X3 is far more expensive the Yeti 170CR would have similar performance to the BMW X3 2.0d but for far less money. The X3 did have a much larger boot.

I presently am a Fabia owner and I am quite interested in the Yeti for my next car due to the 4x4 capabilities and the current weather. I've found this thread interesting but am surprised that no one has mentioned the Ford Kuga or Suziki SX4/Fiat Sedici (same car) as possible Yeti alternatives?

My wife is self funded and had a Fiat Sedici Elegance Diesel until September last year. (not my choice you understand)

Her overall impression was that it was harsh vehicle and not well bolted together with appalling dealer services and relatively expensive to keep on the road. She got shot of it because the thing was starting to rust (roof bars were bubbling) and the wheels were deteriorating badly....all warranty items that the dealer was trying to wriggle out of. From my perspective the thing was pants because I spent a lot of time last year unsticking the thing whereby my octy 4x4 just cruised out of the ice/snow/muck.

She ended up with a toyota urban cruiser (distinctly dodgy name and again not my ideal choice) from the same parent company though separate dealership which is far better bolted together and has a quality feel in the cabin (ish!) and is comparative pennies to keep on the road. even though it has very little ground clearance it has yet to get stuck this winter and the snow is way deeper this year.

marks out of 10

Fiat Sedici Elegance Diesel 4/10

I’ve been running a Sedici for the last 2 winters and can safely say it’s the best snow vehicle I have ever owned by a country mile. I drove up and around Saddleworth Moor a few days ago, including up some very minor back roads and seriously steep hills, not a single problem. With the diff lock engaged, it is unstoppable until it beaches.

I would agree the build quality is poor, especially as I figured that Susuki would finish it well. But it has a lot of very hard plastics and the under bonnet clips show a lot of rust. I have the second gear problem which I can get around with double de-clutching, but Fiat didn’t want to know. I’ve owned many Fiats, but the standard of dealer care has gone down dramatically in my experiences.

On the plus side, it is remarkable value as a second hand car. Mine was less than half price at 7 months old. And for this reason, I think it represent a great motoring bargain. Roomy enough for my needs, 43 mpg (with my driving style), superb traction in snow and ice, decent ground clearance and way more comfortable than say a Defender. Cheap servicing too.

I would only recommend a Sedici if you want a cheap, almost utilitarian 4x4, than can do the business, but is a little rough around the edges. But would say avoid it if you want a comfy car that has 4x4.

SEDICI a car of two halves

Cheap very capable small family 4x4 8/10

Comfy faimily hatch with lots of toys 5/10

Edited by Lady Elanore

My only previous experience of 4x4s was S2A and S3 Land Rovers, a Freelander 1 "Sport" which was noisy, slow, uncomfortable, thirsty, badly made and which rode and handled badly, plus a Seat Altea Freetrack 4, which was surprisingly good apart from dodgy build quality (the last two being service loan cars).

We were not really looking at 4x4s when looking for a more practical replacement for my wife's Beetle Cabroilet, and were originally thinking of going back to a Golf. The constraints were it had to have enough boot space for a medium-sized dog crate, have a bit more motorway performance and be not significantly bigger or more expensive to run than the Beetle.

Having ruled out the standard Golf on space, we looked at the Golf Plus which was fine but hardly inspiring, and not cheap even with the generous discounts on offer. We looked at the Qashqai but the 1.5d was too slow and the 2.0d too thirsty, plus the boot space was less flexible and it wouldn't fit in our garage - a factor which (in addition to price) would rule out most 4x4s.

So we came to the Yeti, which met all our on-paper requirements, and on the road the only criticisms were the slightly firm low-speed ride and the rather gruff engine when accelerating hard. But geneally it seemed an excellent drive by any standards and certainly not qualified by "...for a 4x4", the chassis setup in particular is extremely well judged by any standards. And we could buy a TDI 140 with 4wd for the same as a less well equipped 2wd Golf Plus. Which, given the conditions over the last 3 weeks, turned out to be a sound decision!

Mark

I drove a Yeti and a Kuga back to back. After driving the Yeti I aborted the Kuga test after 1/4 mile No contest.

Regards

Mike

The Kuga is absolutely ghastly inside - nice looking on the outside though in my opinion.

I had a Kuga in Germany where i work as a hire car the info display being that horrible redish colour is too bright

and very cheap looking. the interior is third class in comparison to the Yeti.

all the best

Jerry

The Kuga is absolutely ghastly inside - nice looking on the outside though in my opinion.

And where did all the space go? Outside the Kuga looks quite big, but inside it's tiny, particularly in the rear.

Also, like most Fords, it's too expensive (before discounting of course).