Problem with my Octavia VRS mk1

Our octavia mk1 vrs has acquired some sort of problem, firstly it started off as just no acceleration when under load with extreme hesitating, accompanied by popping and banging :doh:

Now over the course of a few days when starting its taking a while to fire, and its not revving up, try to rev it and it just splutters and dies. If you pull off its as if it has no power at all, then will jolt and proceed to kangaroo down the road :dull:

Had it on vag.com only fault that came up was pre-cat lambda sensor- so changed that, have also changed spark plugs, fitted a new air flow meter and a green temp sensor.

Any ideas what it could be? as the wife needs it for work and its not good :wonder:

thanks in advance

also noticed that engine management light doesnt come on with ignition- not sure if fuse has been removed, on the fuse box cover it gives no indication as to which fuse is where :'(

Edited by Dicko&Sarah

That's exactly what mine did when it was registering faults with the throttle body, which turned out to be a glitch in the ECU that was causing it to lose the adaptation settings. I wouldn't have thought the lambda sensor would have caused that kind of grief. Do coil packs show up on vag.com, that's a perennial favourite.

My initial guess would have been coil pack also, but I agree I am sure this would show on diags with VAG.com. I'm sure it would at least run better than the description given and in worst case limp home mode.

I would still consider checking coil packs to at least rule them out.

Edited by amh

I reckon it could well be a coil pack, I myself had similar problems with my car this week. In my case I think it was the coil pack moving off the spark plug that caused misfires and stalling, then limp mode.

New coil bought and fitted, doesn't seem to be playing up now. Interestingly nothing showed on VAG-COM despite all the problems I had.

Edited by Jon_VRS

mine does this if i try to set of straight away without letting the secondary air fan do its thing for 30 seconds, it pops bangs and jolts around, if i let the car run for a minute its fine

This does sound like a coil pack failure,i had a coil fail & it did run badly like yours is,when the car is ticking over is there a popping from the exhaust & a smell like rotten eggs from the exhaust? as for your engine management light not coming on i cant help you,i dont know if it is a bulb & its been removed or if there is a fuse you can take out to stop it from coming on.i doubt its that easy to stop it from coming on but i may be wrong!

i'd say its the air intake temp sensor and the MAF , had the same problem when i had the 17705 code .

the revs was sorted when i put a new air intake temp sensor and my hesitating problem was sorted when i put a new MAF sensor on .

have you checked you pipes ? you could have a split pipe sucking air in .

if its a coil i would of thought it would be doing it all the time , if you can take it to the skoda dealer and get them to put it on the computer . cost me £40 . they will sort it out for you .

mine does this if i try to set of straight away without letting the secondary air fan do its thing for 30 seconds, it pops bangs and jolts around, if i let the car run for a minute its fine

bond007 i think as someone has stated, your symptoms are possibly temp sensor. As the temp sensor can't detect the temperature is cold and needs more fuel/air mix it gets confused and so assumes it is warm, then you are not getting the mixture right for that initial cold start. When the car is warm can you start up and pull away ok.?

Our octavia mk1 vrs has acquired some sort of problem, firstly it started off as just no acceleration when under load with extreme hesitating, accompanied by popping and banging :doh:

Think your problem could well be coil pack. The symptoms are the same. Some coil packs are intermitant when they fail so sometimes can appear at certain revs to be ok.

When you get the problem try removing or unplugging one coil pack at a time to figure out if it runs any worse. When it runs the same with one coil pack removed then you have now found the duff one.

Edited by Bowders1

sounds like a faulty coil pack. had a car that would only misfire when the engine was under load but ran fine on tickover and that was a weak coil pack. the engine light only came on when under load aswell.

bond007 i think as someone has stated, your symptoms are possibly temp sensor. As the temp sensor can't detect the temperature is cold and needs more fuel/air mix it gets confused and so assumes it is warm, then you are not getting the mixture right for that initial cold start. When the car is warm can you start up and pull away ok.?

thanks i may try changing this!

N249 is the valve that controls the DV, so I doubt that would cause any spluttering.

I changed mine a couple of years back in the hunt for a cure to the 17705 fault. If you want to eliminate it from your diagnosis, you could temporarily bypass the valve to rule it out.

I've also changed the air temp sensor in the intake manifold, to cure an irratic idle issue. They get covered in oily deposits over time.

Your issue does sound like the classic coil pack problem. If it's not happening on idle, and you've got no error code to indicate which coil it is, you might have to replace all 4 to rule it out (pricey!).