4x4 vs DSG

RIght folks, it's been a while but i could do with some guidance.

Was after a Superb on contract hire when it was first launched and posted on here at the time but,sadly, the figures wouldn't work. Increased budget for this yr means that it's finally on the cards :clap: Dilemma i have is DSG or 4x4?

Now I've previously had DSG in a Golf and loved it and I'm currently driving a 4x4 which has come into its own in the last 2 winters so ideally it would be both but the 3.6 is just not feasible. So which is to be sacrificed?

I'm looking at a CR170 TDi Elegance (maybe the Combi, budget allowing). I know i could go FWD and winter tyres but I'm not sure on the merits as against proper 4x4 capability.

Any views appreciated

I would say you should loose DSG, unless driving a manual causes leg troubles.

If you could have a 4x4 DSG it would cope with the bad weather well if you take away 4x4 it won't cope well so you're only left with DSG to remove. Try and get an Estate, you won't regret it!

Cheers James. Just to play devil's advocate, my own thinking is that 4x4 would be useful for that 1 month out of 12 that the snow comes whereas DSG is something I'd be enjoying day in day out (most of my driving is around Greater London with occasional motorway journeys).

Any chance of a TDi 4x4 DSG in next couple of months? B)

Cheers James. Just to play devil's advocate, my own thinking is that 4x4 would be useful for that 1 month out of 12 that the snow comes whereas DSG is something I'd be enjoying day in day out (most of my driving is around Greater London with occasional motorway journeys).

Any chance of a TDi 4x4 DSG in next couple of months? B)

You never know, once the Yeti is out with DSG and 4x4 it might be available on the Superb/Octavia.

I think I'd rather a DSG myself as these Superbs aren't particulary bad in bad weather but there is no getting over it's FWD physics.

Since you're doing a lot of driving in town the DSG will be better for you, plus if you're buying the car personally it will hold it's value better.

Are Skoda's proper 4WD anyway or do they still use Haldex?

Think its haldex. My current car is similar Mazda system - FWD until it detects slip then sends power to other wheels. Not quattro i know but coped pretty well in recent weather, traction wise

Are Skoda's proper 4WD anyway or do they still use Haldex?

It's Haldex, but the latest generation haldex system is always all wheel drive, albeit only 5% is going to the rear axle. Haldex system is now catching up to the torsen differential system as used on the quattro system.

You can learn more about Haldex and how it works -

http://www.haldex.com/en-gb/Europe/Applications-Products/Product-categories/AWD/

Edited by Allams Skoda

I had the same decision when i got my Superb as to whether to go for 4x4 or DSG. In the end i went for DSG in the CR170 and am so pleased with the decision. The DSG makes everyday driving a real pleasure and suits the car. I have to say that i have not needed 4x4 so far, despite living on a hilly estate which has had about ten days continual snow/ice cover up to today. This is because of the clever electronics in the Superb, plus the fact that the torque in the diesel and the 'creep' of the auto keep the vehicle moving. I have a pair of the 'snow socks' if it ever does get too bad for the car but haven't needed to use them yet. I would suggest you get the DSG and keep a set by for the few days where you may need them.

I had the same decision when i got my Superb as to whether to go for 4x4 or DSG. In the end i went for DSG in the CR170 and am so pleased with the decision. The DSG makes everyday driving a real pleasure and suits the car. I have to say that i have not needed 4x4 so far, despite living on a hilly estate which has had about ten days continual snow/ice cover up to today. This is because of the clever electronics in the Superb, plus the fact that the torque in the diesel and the 'creep' of the auto keep the vehicle moving. I have a pair of the 'snow socks' if it ever does get too bad for the car but haven't needed to use them yet. I would suggest you get the DSG and keep a set by for the few days where you may need them.

Thanks jmed, that's helpful :thumbup:

I'd keep the DSG too. 4X4 slows the car down and, with my snow socks, I was able to get everywhere through the snow with no problems B) . I'd have thought DSG would be a must if you're driving in town a lot.

I'd keep the DSG too. 4X4 slows the car down and, with my snow socks, I was able to get everywhere through the snow with no problems B) . I'd have thought DSG would be a must if you're driving in town a lot.

Got both DSG and 4x4 - still doesn't feel slow B) . No problem getting forward in the snow - only problem: can't stop again using summer tyres :doh: (Will get winther tyres monday).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm startying to think about trading in the Octy vRS, and love the idea of the Superb but want something with a bit of spice. My warped mind has just turned to the prospect of 3.6 V6 with DSG and 4x4. Yes, it weighs 2 tonnes, but it still does 0-62 in a lot less time than my current car, and is the size of my first house!

I am thinking of justifying it by moving 10 miles closer to work, thereby halving the daily commute and enabling me to double my fuel costs without noticing the money missing...

Logical, I think you'll agree...

RIght folks, it's been a while but i could do with some guidance.

Was after a Superb on contract hire when it was first launched and posted on here at the time but,sadly, the figures wouldn't work. Increased budget for this yr means that it's finally on the cards :clap: Dilemma i have is DSG or 4x4?

Now I've previously had DSG in a Golf and loved it and I'm currently driving a 4x4 which has come into its own in the last 2 winters so ideally it would be both but the 3.6 is just not feasible. So which is to be sacrificed?

I'm looking at a CR170 TDi Elegance (maybe the Combi, budget allowing). I know i could go FWD and winter tyres but I'm not sure on the merits as against proper 4x4 capability.

Any views appreciated

I'd stick with DSG - I have this on my CR170 and use it to tow my large twin axle caravan - never had a problem with just two wheel drive and DSG makes driving so much more effortless - easy stop and start in those jams, especially with caravan. Winter driving isn't a problem with two wheel drive when you keep the car moving - as long as you can get around the others that are too slow or stop.

Brian

I had DSG in my mk5 GTI, before switching to the Superb and thought it was great. The move to the Superb gave me the choice..and I went with the manual & 4x4, a choice I still stand by to make my life easier (safer) on my multiple snowboarding trips per year to Austria (from NL). With winter tyres and 4x4 I can't imagine a situation where I will ever need to use chains again.

Sure manual transmission isn't as easy as DSG but I've been driving manuals for 20+ years anyway so the change back wasn't a deal breaker for me.

I guess it really depends on how often you think the 4x4 will be useful to you and then value you place on that.

good luck with the choice.

I'm startying to think about trading in the Octy vRS, and love the idea of the Superb but want something with a bit of spice. My warped mind has just turned to the prospect of 3.6 V6 with DSG and 4x4. Yes, it weighs 2 tonnes, but it still does 0-62 in a lot less time than my current car, and is the size of my first house!

I am thinking of justifying it by moving 10 miles closer to work, thereby halving the daily commute and enabling me to double my fuel costs without noticing the money missing...

Logical, I think you'll agree...

4.gif Fine reasoning there!

I had DSG in my mk5 GTI, before switching to the Superb and thought it was great. The move to the Superb gave me the choice..and I went with the manual & 4x4, a choice I still stand by to make my life easier (safer) on my multiple snowboarding trips per year to Austria (from NL). With winter tyres and 4x4 I can't imagine a situation where I will ever need to use chains again.

Sure manual transmission isn't as easy as DSG but I've been driving manuals for 20+ years anyway so the change back wasn't a deal breaker for me.

I guess it really depends on how often you think the 4x4 will be useful to you and then value you place on that.

good luck with the choice.

Cheers mate- i'm leaning towards the DSG on the basis that it's useful daily, whereas 4x4 capability only really comes in to play for 3 weeks of the yr max

Cheers mate- i'm leaning towards the DSG on the basis that it's useful daily, whereas 4x4 capability only really comes in to play for 3 weeks of the yr max

Probably the best choice..winter tyres on 2wd are more effective than standard tyres on 4wd anyway, so go for the best of both worlds :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i've had a similar dilema, changing from a 1.9 170CR VRS LE Octy to a 170 CR Superb Elegance, i took both the DSG and the 4X4 out for test drives and i must admit if i was doing more town and city driving i'd go for the DSG over the 4X4, i do mostly motorway and i also have to tow a boat trailer on occasions so the 4X4 made more sense. The DSG is fantastic and i really wish Skoda did the 4X4 with a DSG, but according to my dealer it's a political thing within the VAG group. I pick my Superb on the 1st March. As a matter interest i've just survived the winter snow & Ice up in Yorkshire with my VRS but with vredestein wintrac tyres on and they where stunning. And as the Superb has the same fitment i'll probably run these on it next winter aswell.

Hi, i've had a similar dilema, changing from a 1.9 170CR VRS LE Octy to a 170 CR Superb Elegance, i took both the DSG and the 4X4 out for test drives and i must admit if i was doing more town and city driving i'd go for the DSG over the 4X4, i do mostly motorway and i also have to tow a boat trailer on occasions so the 4X4 made more sense. The DSG is fantastic and i really wish Skoda did the 4X4 with a DSG, but according to my dealer it's a political thing within the VAG group. I pick my Superb on the 1st March. As a matter interest i've just survived the winter snow & Ice up in Yorkshire with my VRS but with vredestein wintrac tyres on and they where stunning. And as the Superb has the same fitment i'll probably run these on it next winter aswell.

:thumbup: