Maxidot Setup

Terfyn

Please could anyone, who understands each of the "Setup" options, supply a definitive list.

For example:- Doors - Auto Open & Auto Close. (Mine lock at 15mph)

Doors Auto Open - unlocks all doors if one opened.

Doors Auto Close - locks all doors at a certain speed as you said.

Speed Warning - allows you to set a speed at which there is a warning in the display if exceeded - set with "B" at the speed driving and increase or decrease with "A" at the end of the WW stalk.

Windows Op. - allows controlling which (Electrically operated) windows can be opened and closed by using the remote central locking key.

Travel Mode -allows changing the xenon lights from driving on the right or left of the road. Inhibits the curve following and lowers the dipped beam.

Winter tires - allows setting a warning of maximum speed rating of winter tyres if they have a lower speed rating than the maximum vehicle speed potential. This addresses a requirement in German law, which requires a visible sticker on the car of the winter tyres have a lower speed rating than the vehicle is capable of.(Winter tyres are typically H rated - 210 km/hr - not really a problem for the Yeti)

Mirror Adjust -Here you an decide if the drivers side mirror adjustment also operates the passenger side at the same time or not. Note: If the mirror adjust is left in the Passenger side adjust position (R in Continental Europe) the passenger side mirror should dip a little to show the curb when you put the gear in reverse. I have not checked if this really happens. Now that I have checked - it does not happen on mine. Could be some sort of option required, not included on Ambition.

Service - Allows you to set variable srevice interval or fixed and to re-set the start of the interval. Mine is on variable, so I have not messed with this.

Time - Allows you to select 12 or 24 hour clock and if you want to automatically adjust for summertime. Damned if I can figure out how it knows when to change to summertime? Seems like it needs input from the Columbus, which it otherwise ignores!

Language - Allows selection between the availble alnguages in the MFD - Danish is not one of them nor is it on the Columbus. Nor any of the other Scandihoovian languages either - No problem for me, I live in English/American at work anyway and the other Danish Language GPS's I have encountered were terrible - sounded like a 95 year old female upper stiff lip with a lisp and advanced Alzheimers. One of the language settings is "Automatic" Does it then change to German in Germany? IOn Denmark it changed from English (Male) to English (female) - probably the default for Scandinavia.

Assistant - This is largely irrelevant for my Ambition. Only active part seems to be whether to use curve function on the xenons or not. UK Elegance versions have more choices.

Navigation - Shows the location by road name, and cardinal heading if your'e not navigating to a waypoint. If you are navigating to a waypoint, it shows the local detail and distance to next move both in print and graphically, also time and distance to waypoiny. it also show cardinal heading in the top pane next to the time if you are looking at MPD. Cardinal headings expressed as N, NW, W etc.

Audio - lets you select radio stations on the list and change netween them with the stalk buttons.

I am sure someone can fill in some of the gaps.

Edited by Agerbundsen
  • Like 1

For the time setting, you set the time format as 12h or 24h, the daylight saving option is a manual one since the car does not know what the date is even with the columbus headunit. Switching the daylight saving on/off moves the clock 1hr in each direction depending on what option you had selected first. When the clocks change, simply set this option to the other setting and the time changes accordingly.

The Columbus headunit uses the date so it understands the celestial data it gets from the satelites, this is why it takes a while to get a satelite lock if the date is set incorrectly on the Columbus.

Doors Auto Open - unlocks all doors if one opened.

Doors Auto Close - locks all doors at a certain speed as you said.

Thanks for your full reply.

My doors seem to lock on the Manual setting too, which is why I'm confused. (this is my normal state of mind) So I wonder if it does something else as well? In respect to the Maxidot settings, the Manual is next to useless.

Time:- If the Columbus has access to a radio clock, it will change to Summertime automatically.

Edited by Terfyn

Mirror Adjust -Here you an decide if the drivers side mirror adjustment also operates the passenger side at the same time or not. Note: If the mirror adjust is left in the Passenger side adjust position (R in Continental Europe) the passenger side mirror should dip a little to show the curb when you put the gear in reverse. I have not checked if this really happens. Now that I have checked - it does not happen on mine. Could be some sort of option required, not included on Ambition.

Good post, just filling in here with regards to the dipping mirror. One needs the driver's electric seat with memory for this to function. I have it on my BMW and it's saved me from scraping my rims quite a few times whilst parking in narrow Dutch streets. Skoda goes one further by allowing you to adjust the angle; both dip angle and lateral view and save it on the seat's memory, nice.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

The dipping wing mirror trick will be very useful for me. It is always difficult on off road tracks to see the edge of the track, large stones and that sort of thing. Often I have to set the mirrors at a compromise hight so that I can just about see the near ground and just about see the far ground, not very satisfactory for either

So what is GALA?

tom

Automatic increase in radio volume with speed. Allows you to hear Chris Evans over the howl of the wind at 70mph and the roar of the twin exhausts. Wasted on me!

Edited by Terfyn

The dipping mirror in reverse only works if you have fully electric seats as its the ECU for the seats that control the mirror.

Why do Skoda not include this option with manual seats. ECUs are 10 a penny so it is not cost. So if you fork out for electric seats, you are favoured with this very useful gizmo.

So what is GALA?

tom

Graduated Audio Level Adjustment - automatic increase/decrease in volume of the radio as the car speed increseas/decreases.

Graham

I'm sure when I first got the car I saw the way to set the speed warnings.

Now I can't find it !!!

tom

While driving, go to the speed warning page and press the B button on the stalk. This selects the speed you are driving at the moment. You can then increase or decrease the speed setting with the A button on the end of the stalk.

Once set, you can the n look at opther MFD pages, and if you exceed the set speed, you will get a ping and a message.

I may have mixed up the A and B, but in this context, B is the button on your side of the stalk a bit in from the end and the A is the one on the end, which is a toggle up and down.

Easier to do than talk about.

Edited by Agerbundsen

While driving, go to the speed warning page and press the B button on the stalk. This selects the speed you are driving at the moment. You can then increase or decrease the speed setting with the A button on the end of the stalk.

Once set, you can the n look at opther MFD pages, and if you exceed the set speed, you will get a ping and a message.

I may have mixed up the A and B, but in this context, B is the button on your side of the stalk a bit in from the end and the A is the one on the end, which is a toggle up and down.

Easier to do than talk about.

Thanks.

I have now worked it out. I don't have any buttons on the end of my R/H stalk. They are on the steering wheel. I was expecting to find how to change the speed warnings in "Setup", it wasn't there.

Eventually got to the speed warning position bit in the MFD using the scrolling wheel and then pressed the scrolling wheel which meant I could then rotate the wheel to increase the values. I am not setting the values per se but just did it to see if it had any effect on the kph second speed indicator (changing it to mph) , it didn't.

thanks again

tom

Thanks.

I have now worked it out. I don't have any buttons on the end of my R/H stalk. They are on the steering wheel. I was expecting to find how to change the speed warnings in "Setup", it wasn't there.

Eventually got to the speed warning position bit in the MFD using the scrolling wheel and then pressed the scrolling wheel which meant I could then rotate the wheel to increase the values. I am not setting the values per se but just did it to see if it had any effect on the kph second speed indicator (changing it to mph) , it didn't.

thanks again

tom

I do not have the multifunctions no the steering wheel so could not coment on that, but the functions must be there as well.

• 3 years later...

Alternative speed displayed would be helpful in miles instead of kph. I am unable to change it for some reason.

Many, many, many posts about this.

Firstly, in the Maxidot system, from the factory you can't. However if you find someone with a Vagcom lead and computer you might find that changing the country to australia will do it.

In Vag-Com, you set the country to RoW (Rest of World) in Central Elelectrics using the long coding helper on the Coding option, this then enables the large format digital speedo in mph on the Maxidot.

I'll find the step by step guide and post a link to it, when I get a spare minute.

They must have changed it then, because all those that have had it done in the past used Australia as the country. I think some found recently that newer cars couldn't have it changed.

Australia will probably do just as well, I've always used RoW on cars I've coded for myself and customers.

Any idea what year the cars were that couldn't be changed? I've modded up to 2011 model year thus far.