Questions about Evoms?

What about this one? http://www.goapr.com/products/intake_carbonio_20tsi.html

Both Awesomwe-GTI and JKM sell it.

Its the one I'll be going for for my remapped TSI

Im not a fan of APR TBH. if you read the yank forums all the apr sponsors seem to do is post threads and replies that slag off every mod that isnt APR.

although their kits are normally very good they always seemed to be priced above the other options available as well.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9988.0

@ muckipup. check this review of the twintake out. the guy has the 200ps gti, with revo stage 2 set on conservative settings(he had a turbo failure quite a while back), and like you he was really dubious about the improvements of an intake over his stock box. he didnt thionk the outlay was worth a minimal gain.

however he had the twintake fitted at JKM where they did before and after runs(same day) which resulted in 15HP gain.

remeber that is on conservative settings as well, so if boost was ramped up a bit more gains potentially could be had

OK, I'm sold! :yes:

I was always skeptical with head to head dyno results of CAIs versus stock filters as I suspected that the quoted gains may have been comparing a new CAI with a dirty paper filter or the dynos were done on different RRs. I found that link very interesting because 1) it was comparing to a Carbonio with a performance panel filter in it to its competitor and 2) it was on JKM's rollers and I trust JKM.

Edited by muckipup

Im not a fan of APR TBH. if you read the yank forums all the apr sponsors seem to do is post threads and replies that slag off every mod that isnt APR.

although their kits are normally very good they always seemed to be priced above the other options available as well.

I like it due to the almost factory airbox appearance. Also I'm not a massive fan of induction roar so an enclosed one like the Carbonio should be a bit quieter than most "open" induction kits. Finally most of all I like the price as its £225 at Awesome-Gti which is cheaper than the Evoms. (Actually its £265 inc vat so still not cheap, but cheaper than the EVOMS)

Edited by Krispe

OK, I'm sold! :yes:

I was always skeptical with head to head dyno results of CAIs versus stock filters as I suspected that the quoted gains may have been comparing a new CAI with a dirty paper filter or the dynos were done on different RRs. I found that link very interesting because 1) it was comparing to a Carbonio with a performance panel filter in it to its competitor and 2) it was on JKM's rollers and I trust JKM.

i very nearly would have had the twintake. id decided on it, and offered my car to forge to do the measurements etc, but they wernt interested in trying to make it fit the octavia , so I spoke to andy @ ITG and he was mega keen on getting me up to do the test fit.

hence why i have the filter i do now. either way id be as happy as a tramp on chips.

Robin does some good reviews actually, and although biased on his choices at times he does a lot of research befreo he buys something.

---edit----

even if some of the before and after dyno runs are with an old filter. the difference betwen the stock panel filter and perfomance panel filter was negligable and barely noticable at anything but max revs, so i still think they are pretty relevant

Edited by vRSy

The HKS style filters are known to compromise filtration hence the often good power increase, in some cases its little better than running no filter at all though, in the jap performance scene people have been tending to opt for the Apexi type with its dry material unlike the oil impregnated cotton like a K&N as the oil can contaminate the maf sensor.

A good comparison

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Thats a valid point. lack of filtration means you risk larger sh!t particles getting through which in turn will fook your MAF sensor and possibly the turbines in the turbo. I had quite an in depth cobversation with andy at ITG reference filters and the make up of them.

from what he said N/A cars have a higher tolerance to particles getting into the engine, so it is possible to sacrifice some of the filtration for a higher flow of air,

however when it came to turbo'd cars filtration was much much more important as the tolerance was much lower. He did quote the maximum amount of particles acceptable to get through, but it has escaped me. so with a turbo car you need the dense filter and hence why they make up for the restrictive makeup of the filter by having a large surface area.

There is a specific minimum grade of filter required for our cars i believe off the top of my head it is G60, as that is the required filtration for the intake.

I remember when i took my carbonio and code red intake off, i was pretty horrified by the amount of crud that was stuck to to the inside of the pipe and ram scoop that had entered the intake via the oem slam panel. Ive subsequently checked mypiping and the inside of the ITG since fitting when i replaced a light bulb-which was a pain in the ass with the filter in the way :swear: - and it was clean as a whistle inside which is good news. Also no ingress of said oil.

Oiled filters. This was also another point i brought up with him. the viscosity of the oils used is very important and if incorrect could cause an issue,

they supply the correct oil required for treatment of the filters that is perfectly safe for a MAF sensor. alot of the "oil ruins mafs" information is supposably inconclusive or scaremongering.

As forretreating the filter i might actually change mine very few years though as they arnt that expensive anyway

@ muckipup. im not trying to make you skint or anything but what about this

BSH true seal intake and bullet proof DV relocation kit

£260 absolute bargain

Intake Tubing with integrated DV relocation bung and CNC machined MAF flange

*True Seal* Airbox with Rubber Trim Lock

Proprietary BSH Air Filter

All clamps and hardware needed for installation

DV kit specific silicone

Supersized Forge Diverter Valve

BSH Boost tap

Factory DV blockoff

FullIntake1.jpg?t=1227037803

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11010.0

Edited by vRSy

My maf on my Mercedes E class lasted around 4000 miles after fitting a K&N panel filter , it seemed to be a trend for MB owners at least could have been co-incidence but i think not

My maf on my Mercedes E class lasted around 4000 miles after fitting a K&N panel filter , it seemed to be a trend for MB owners at least could have been co-incidence but i think not

thast what you get for buying mercedes :p works great on mine, there are guys on the other forum who have done in excess of 15k with no issues. guess it depends on the grade of oil etc. who knows, ITG supply foam filters to some F1 teams(ive even seen the intake moulds used to design the filters), BTCC, vxRacing, 888 racing, renault aport racing series, cosworth amonsgt many others. so im confident im in safe hands.

never had an issue with my car on the foam pipercross panel filter either, or the codeRed foam induction kit or My foam ITG, all oiled filters. and thats for 30k.

Edited by vRSy

Well K&N's are known to be heavily oiled from new but i have to say i would carry a spare afm if i was using an oiled filter

That said i have a HKS filter on my Lancer but i will change it for a Apexi when i get a chance as i did on my old Skyline (I also had AFM problems on that with the HKS filter)

@ muckipup. im not trying to make you skint or anything but what about this

Don't worry, I've already done a pretty good job of that myself :doh: Still, in for a penny, in for a pound. Now that I am sold on the point that a decent CAI will give 15 bhp, I would not resent spending £2-300 given that I have just spent nearly £1000 to get to Stage 2 for an extra 30 bhp!

I am still in two minds about this. Of course, I want the extra bhp but I can't be ar$ed with oiling filters etc. although I am prepared to do this. I have one of the newer dry Pipercross filters at the mo' and am wondering if this can be popped into a Carbonio in the understanding that it will not produce the same gains but....can be washed in the sink, dried and job done, it will be a bit quieter, fit nicely into the engine bay and can be had currently for under £100 second hand...but then again, I want the bhp. Oh, I dunno :giggle:

• 4 weeks later...

Update - Travelling to Coventry next Thursday to see Andy at Itg. My car will be a doner car for their new Tsi intake (along with a golf and a scirocco). Having seen a few confidential pictures that I can't share yet, I can say that it's looking pretty awesome. Once the intake is fitted, will then visit Revo HQ nearby to see how it is performing. Should be able to do a decent review at tge end of next week.

Update - Travelling to Coventry next Thursday to see Andy at Itg. My car will be a doner car for their new Tsi intake (along with a golf and a scirocco). Having seen a few confidential pictures that I can't share yet, I can say that it's looking pretty awesome. Once the intake is fitted, will then visit Revo HQ nearby to see how it is performing. Should be able to do a decent review at tge end of next week.

I hope it all works out. I have to say that although put off by the cost of the ITG, I think the ITG is the best looking of all the CAIs on the TFSI - even if it was scoring a few bhp less than the competitors (which I don't believe it is), I'd still take it for the looks if I could justify the money. I hope it is the same with the TSI version! :p

VRSy - what's with the sig and you selling all the bits? Are you selling the car?

I hope it all works out. I have to say that although put off by the cost of the ITG, I think the ITG is the best looking of all the CAIs on the TFSI - even if it was scoring a few bhp less than the competitors (which I don't believe it is), I'd still take it for the looks if I could justify the money. I hope it is the same with the TSI version! :p

VRSy - what's with the sig and you selling all the bits? Are you selling the car?

yes she is to be replaced with a suburu i think. we have a spare car anyway so theres no rush in selling mine or buying another, im going to wait till i see somthing i really want and something which will be the easiest and cheapest to tune.

just going to take parts off the car sell them, then see how it goes. I have a lot of interest in the parts. which is always a brucie bonus

Whats a 57 plate vRS wth Jumbo box and cruise with 29k on the clock go for ???

yes she is to be replaced with a suburu i think. we have a spare car anyway so theres no rush in selling mine or buying another, im going to wait till i see somthing i really want and something which will be the easiest and cheapest to tune.

just going to take parts off the car sell them, then see how it goes. I have a lot of interest in the parts. which is always a brucie bonus

Whats a 57 plate vRS wth Jumbo box and cruise with 29k on the clock go for ???

I'm sorry to hear that Si but fully understand. There is a '4WD demon' whispering in my head too but it will be a while before I can do anthing about it.

Parkers quotes this for a 30k VRS on a 57 plate:

Original Price £17,725

Franchised Dealer £13,315

Independent Dealer £12,410

Private Good £11,280

Private Poor £8,900

Part Exchange £9,810

....but that is with out jumbo box, pain options etc.

I got mine exactly a year ago for just under £12K with 15k miles but the used market has been on the up since then!

I would have taken the Autotech from you but the group buy stock arrived in the UK at Dubtek's place this morning

Edited by muckipup