60k too much ?/

Im in the process of trying to find an Octavia estate tdi, and i have found a few but with higher miles. I just cant get my head round paying 8 grand for a car with more than 60 k on the clock. For that kind of money im expecting 30 to 40k on the clock.

Are my expectations too high ?

I know 60k is nothing for a modern diesel engine, but at 60k what about the gear box, suspension, clutch etc.

Why am i being put of by anything with btween 50/60 k on the clock.

Cheers,

Paul

How old is the car? How many miles a year do you do? How long you intend to keep it? Full Skoda Service History?

When I was looking I couldn't find an estate for my money at all. Went for the hatch in the end as I did not absolutely need an estate. Found a mint one with 28k miles - 4 yrs old - 8.5k top spec Elegance. I was happy with that.

I have driven other VAG cars with 180k miles on them and provided they have been serviced and looked after they were as sweet as a nut mechanically

HTH

Edited by Golf-Fiend

Im in the process of trying to find an Octavia estate tdi, and i have found a few but with higher miles. I just cant get my head round paying 8 grand for a car with more than 60 k on the clock.

I know exactly what you mean. When I was looking for a 2-3 YO estate, everything I looked at had ~80-100K on the clock. At that price range you're slap bang in the middle of all the 3YO cars that have just finished their lease agreement and are being sold on. There are lower mileage examples out there, but they are few and far between;

Skoda Estate, 7-8K, <40,000 miles, 5 cars:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/results/usedcars/postcode/td12ly/radius/1500/make/skoda/model/octavia/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/body-type/estate/price-from/7000/price-to/8000/sort/priceasc?logcode=s

Cheers for the advice guys.

The car im thinking of getting is an 05 plate elegance estate with 60k on the clock. 1 and same owner from new, with full service history. Up at 7 grand.

What do you the good people think ?

Cheers,

Paul

Im in the process of trying to find an Octavia estate tdi, and i have found a few but with higher miles. I just cant get my head round paying 8 grand for a car with more than 60 k on the clock. For that kind of money im expecting 30 to 40k on the clock.

I know 60k is nothing for a modern diesel engine, but at 60k what about the gear box, suspension, clutch etc.

Cheers,

Paul

One of the down sides of the recession is that its pushed up the price of used cars. To put this in context I paid £9800 for a 1.5 year old 2.0tdi ambiente (not estate) with 9K on the clock three years ago. I spent two months in Nov/Dec looking to change but there was nothing in that ball park.

Cheers,

Paul

I had a very similar dilemma. Having decided I wanted an diesel Octavia estate on a budget of £8K (i'd never had a diesel before, but was attracted by the promised economy and a drive in a friends 1.9 VW Touran) I contacted several local Skoda dealers - none of whom had anything suitable.

I extended the search using the Autotrader site and found a car supermarket that had two £8K Octavia estates, both 06 models. One was a diesel - a white 1.9TDI L&K that had done 75K and the other was a black petrol 1.6FSI Elegance that had done 25K...

So it was literally a black (or) white decision. Ultimately as someone who tends to keep their cars for a long time I went for the lower mileage option, it really was that 50K difference that was the decider for me - outweighing the engine preference and extra kit of the higher miler (oh, and the slightly less rational fact that though neither would be my first colour choice, I preferred black!).

Edited by ccs-digital

My 2.0 TDi with just under 100K miles on a 55 plate is running just like new, 60K is nothing on these engines and the price is about right given that there are not that many on the secondhand marked right now.