Oil for 1.9 Tdi

DavidSWP

I changed the oil a few days ago with for some reasonably cheap Havoline Diesel 15/40 which my mate said was 'acceptable' oil. I've noticed though that when I start the engine for about 30 seconds it sounds a bit 'uneven'. I'm wondering if considering the cold weather I should have put in some thinner stuff?

isnt the 1.9 tdi a PD engine?

Yes it is, so you need to use the correct oil - read this thread (yes, it's for a vRS but the same applies to all PD engined Fabias). If I were you I'd have the oil and filter changed straight away before you do any damage.

Car drove very rough and the worst thing was that i serviced it twice with the wrong oil(2 x 10k services). Back then i didn't know pd engines required 'special' oil until i joined this forum a while back. Even though ive used the correct oil for the last 6 0r 7 services it's not as quite or smooth as it was before i made my mistake. Please change your oil ASAP. use need the vw505.01 spec or better. thanks.

Car drove very rough and the worst thing was that i serviced it twice with the wrong oil(2 x 10k services). Back then i didn't know pd engines required 'special' oil until i joined this forum a while back. Even though ive used the correct oil for the last 6 0r 7 services it's not as quite or smooth as it was before i made my mistake. Please change your oil ASAP. use need the vw505.01 spec or better. thanks.

Oops. I need to drive down to London again tommorow. I better get out and search for the oil and filter but I doubt I'll be able to get a filter today. Halford dont have it and its the only place open :(

For VAG PD engines on normal (fixed) servicing the oil should meet VW 505.01 spec and be 5W-40 grade. If your car has more than 150BHP you can use the higher 507 spec (long life) oil.

I was going to say, if a dealer changed, it may be a miss-print on the invoice and actually the right oil was used. But as you did it yourself it is defiantly wrong and you should change it ASAP.

Oops. I need to drive down to London again tommorow. I better get out and search for the oil and filter but I doubt I'll be able to get a filter today. Halford dont have it and its the only place open :(

Halfords should stock the right oil for you.

You need this stuff: Halfords 5W/40 Fully Synthetic Diesel Oil

or this: Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W40 Oil Although that's only 4 litres, you need 4.5l for a change. So an extra 1 litre bottle is required.

:thumbup:

Halfords should stock the right oil for you.

You need this stuff: Halfords 5W/40 Fully Synthetic Diesel Oil

or this: Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W40 Oil Although that's only 4 litres, you need 4.5l for a change. So an extra 1 litre bottle is required.

:thumbup:

Thanks all. I got some Millers 505.01and a filter from a backstreet motor factor. The filter didn't look the exact same but it seemed to fit ok. The lumpy running after starting seems to have been sorted. Hopefully I won't have done that much damage, probably just stressed the oil pump a bit and caused minor wear on the cold starts.

Failing that, if you can get yourself to any VAG group dealer (VW, skoda, seat etc), they all stock 5litre bottles of PD oil.

PD Quantum silver oil is £30/5litres (good for 10,000 miles/12months)

PD Quantum Gold oil is about £45-50 (good for anything upto 18,000 miles/24months)

I just changed my oil this week, and it took exactly 5litres mate

Failing that, if you can get yourself to any VAG group dealer (VW, skoda, seat etc), they all stock 5litre bottles of PD oil.

PD Quantum silver oil is £30/5litres (good for 10,000 miles/12months)

PD Quantum Gold oil is about £45-50 (good for anything upto 18,000 miles/24months)

I just changed my oil this week, and it took exactly 5litres mate

Sounds about right matey, Most VW dealers stock it

VW Quantum Platinum PD oil 5W40 (Silver bottle) for interval serviced or

VW Quantum Longlife III 5W30 (Gold bottle) for variable serviced

I go for the Longlife III all the time no matter what service intervals im on.

Mark

'Yeh I also use the longlife 3 oil (Synta Gold 504/507). I've been buying loads at VW car shows (Gti International for example) i go to every year, where VW traders are knocking out 5litre bottles for £30.

Thanks all. I got some Millers 505.01and a filter from a backstreet motor factor. The filter didn't look the exact same but it seemed to fit ok. The lumpy running after starting seems to have been sorted. Hopefully I won't have done that much damage, probably just stressed the oil pump a bit and caused minor wear on the cold starts.

If it is Millers XFE-PD, it's a semi-synthetic oil and what I am using. :thumbup: That reminds me, I need to buy some more before my service next month.

'Yeh I also use the longlife 3 oil (Synta Gold 504/507). I've been buying loads at VW car shows (Gti International for example) i go to every year, where VW traders are knocking out 5litre bottles for £30.

Longlife III and Synta Gold are 2 different oils aren't they??

Thought Synta Gold is a fully synth oil that you would usually put in a interval serviced petrol motors?

I may be wrong though....

If it is Millers XFE-PD, it's a semi-synthetic oil and what I am using. :thumbup: That reminds me, I need to buy some more before my service next month.

Yes it was XFE-PD. Cost 35:99 seems a bit steep compared to this quantum stuff. Only a fiver I suppose so no big deal.

Longlife III and Synta Gold are 2 different oils aren't they??

Thought Synta Gold is a fully synth oil that you would usually put in a interval serviced petrol motors?

I may be wrong though....

Errr don't know, i've got tonnes of the stuff in my Garage, will go look at it next time! I know it's VW 504/507 compliant, and it's the same stuff they stock at my local VW place for £55-60!

because it's 504/507, I use it in my R32 and my Fabia alike.

Errr don't know, i've got tonnes of the stuff in my Garage, will go look at it next time! I know it's VW 504/507 compliant, and it's the same stuff they stock at my local VW place for £55-60!

because it's 504/507, I use it in my R32 and my Fabia alike.

Either way, Longlife III is the best oil you can put in the vRS PD motor. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Either way, Longlife III is the best oil you can put in the vRS PD motor. :thumbup:

Glad to hear that. My oil was changed today and had longlife rather than the platinum used last few oil changes. Seems to be VAG 507 spec so good to hear that!

Guest BigJase88

wrong oil = camshaft wear?

anyways get it changed ASAP!

i use quantum from VW too, only 25quid for 5 litres, cant go wrong :thumbup:

wrong oil = camshaft wear?

anyways get it changed ASAP!

i use quantum from VW too, only 25quid for 5 litres, cant go wrong :thumbup:

It's not the wrong oil though? From what I understand Quantum Longlife 5-30 is VAG507 spec so a valid alternative to Quantum Platinum 5-40. It'll only be in there for 9-10k miles anyway and I'll get 5-40 back in it to be 100% sure.

Guest BigJase88

It's not the wrong oil though? From what I understand Quantum Longlife 5-30 is VAG507 spec so a valid alternative to Quantum Platinum 5-40. It'll only be in there for 9-10k miles anyway and I'll get 5-40 back in it to be 100% sure.

Im talking about op's oil