rattle in engine compartment

Les H widnes

i have a yeti 4x4 170 ,when the engine is started from cold first thing there is a noise in the engine compartment and it goes away as the engine warm up..It sounds like a heat shield type noise or an exhaust rattle the dealer cannot find the fault any ideas.

I have exactly the same on my 140 SE. Seems to come from the passenger side of the engine bay (area under the battery) Goes away when warm. No idea what it is but as my Yeti was on the ramp for another problem and nothing was found, I presume all is OK. Remember you are under guarantee.

I have exactly the same on my 140 SE. Seems to come from the passenger side of the engine bay (area under the battery) Goes away when warm. No idea what it is but as my Yeti was on the ramp for another problem and nothing was found, I presume all is OK. Remember you are under guarantee.

since i posted the problem on this site today, the dealer who has my car has contacted me and said he thinks it is coming from the gearbox so he has emailed skoda technical and is now waiting on their reply.my car also has what you might call a drone at low speed in 1st and 2nd gear as you are pulling away ,which stops as the revs increase.

I have something similar with my 170. Not a regular mechanical noise - more like some small object rattling around in a box. Can just be heard from the drivers seat and on investigation (nothing too detailed so far) seems to be in the front right hand corner of the engine compartment. Noise not discernable when engine warms up which is why I've not been back to the dealer so far. I shall now try to get it checked out, although it probably means leaving the vehicle overnight to reproduce the symptoms.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this thread because I think I have the same rattle. It happens only when the engine is cold on the passenger side. The dealer said it is a known problem with the fuel pipes. And indeed he reproduced it just by holding the pipes a certain way. They said they fixed it but it seems they made it worse. Now it rattles all the time.

Does anyone else has this problem? How did you solve it?

I checked your profile and there are only posts made this year. Maybe the forum doesn't save the posts made earlier.

I found it by searching. Funny, I read this thread yesterday but since my dealer told me about fuel pipes and than recreated the problem I was sure it was the fuel pipes and not the break pipe. I have to check by myself anyway.

Thanks servicepoint