Coolant/Antifreeze

Jim H

When I last topped my washer fluid I noticed my coolant level was low, actually under min level but the sensor alarm does not go off.

Yesterday as I was buying some oil (Millers XFE-PD) I thought that I should buy some coolant. I bought some Comma G30. Comma Xstream G30 Antifreeze On the bottle it says it is approved by VW/Audi/Skoda (TL774-D/F). Looking on their wabsite and the Technical Info pdf here it says it Exceeds BS-6580-1992, VW code G12/ G12 plus and is Red in colour.

The alternative was Comma G48 Xtream G48 Antifreeze This says it is approved by VW/Audi/Skoda (TL774-C) and meets VW code G11 and is Blue/Green in colour.

Have I got the right stuff? Both are organic OAT coolants.

Can't comment on right/wrong coolant (I just used Skoda stuff and had done with it), but I seem to remember my manual stating red-coloured coolant, although my G12+ coolant is actually purple...

Don't know if that's any use or not (prob not :().

Edited by martinch

TL774-D = G12, TL774-F = G12+.

For reference Halfords Advanced anti-freeze and coolant meets TL774-D and is £20.99 for 5 litres (£16.79 with trade card).

For details on how to grab a trade card see http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=676691

If you use the G12 as opposed to G12+ just make sure no blue stuff goes in.

Thank You for the advice, I thought it would be OK. I'm sure I read that the G12+ stuff was purple not Red/pink. However this afternoon I checked the coolant bottle and the stuff I've got looks Pinkish not purple.

I actually got the stuff at trade price, XFE-PD + 1l Coolant for £31 (inc. VAT). Retail would have been £33.50 + VAT.

What Concentration should I use?

25% = -11

33% = -18

50% = -34

:think:

well this has been useful my coolant light came on yestaday and when i checked there was hardly anything in there!! Anyone know the prim place to check for leaks as my dad has said he thinks somethink is leaking for a while cause theres blobs on the drive! :thumbup:

found the leak ill post some pics of it soon get your recomendations :thumbup:

Where abouts did you find the leak? As I'm seaching for a leak on mine at the moment. Had the water bottle changed about 2 years ago so doubt it will have gone again. Will check the radiator later as yesterday the whole car was wet so impossible to detect the leak.

Well i found it down on the pasenger side right at the front of the car on the farleft side of the back of the radiator heres the pics, put some radweld in for a temp fix but im not sure it will help. good tip is to let is all warm up then put your nose in and smell for it you can smell it strongly!

:thumbup:

dsc00345f.jpg

dsc00344vp.jpg

bugger to get to good job i gota small camera! any solutions will be apreciated. as will a diagnosis!