Clutch Upgrade

Due to the various mods I have on the car.. the clutch has started slipping on full boost and with 55k miles on it .. I will have to invest in an upgraded one.

I have heard stories about transmission noise from single mass flywheels which it seems all the upgraded clutch kits use compared to the dualmass flywheel with the OEM kit

Can anyone recommend SACHS over HELIX or vice versa or some other kit and what experience youhave have with the upgraded kit

thanks

Cathal

I've had a dabble with clutches recently as mine starting slipping over the winter when it's less that 2 degrees or so.

As far as I'm aware you don't need a SMF for an uprated clutch - it's just an option.

The SACHS clutch is very highly rated and meant to feel just like OEM - haven't seen quite so many people with the Helix but they do have a very good reputation.

Most people will tell you that you don't need to replace the fly wheel - draw your own conclusions, but from what I can gather the fly wheel takes a load of abuse when your clutch is slipping, so take it easy until you get the new clutch on there and you'll probably be alright. The gamble is that it's no extra effort to pop a new flywheel on the car when you're changing the clutch as you've got the thing in bits anyway. If you subsequently find out the flywheel is knackered after all, it's the same labour charge all over again :)

The OEM flywheel is an expensive beast - around £700 - not sure how much the SMF's go for.

Probably worth pointing out that I was told the OEM clutches for TFSI cars changed from being manufactured by LUX, to being Sachs a couple of years after the VRS/Mk5 GTI came out, and the Sach is sturdier than the Lux. (having said that, the new clutch I have sitting in the spare room is a Lux, so this may be nonsense)

What power are you currently / intending to run? An S3 has the same clutch as yours with a shed load of power, and many people run 300bhp+ with the standard clutch.

I've taken a gamble of sorts with mine - I got hold of a replacement OEM clutch and DMF for £200 - add another £220 for fitting, then see how long it lasts :)

I've had a dabble with clutches recently as mine starting slipping over the winter when it's less that 2 degrees or so.

As far as I'm aware you don't need a SMF for an uprated clutch - it's just an option.

The SACHS clutch is very highly rated and meant to feel just like OEM - haven't seen quite so many people with the Helix but they do have a very good reputation.

Most people will tell you that you don't need to replace the fly wheel - draw your own conclusions, but from what I can gather the fly wheel takes a load of abuse when your clutch is slipping, so take it easy until you get the new clutch on there and you'll probably be alright. The gamble is that it's no extra effort to pop a new flywheel on the car when you're changing the clutch as you've got the thing in bits anyway. If you subsequently find out the flywheel is knackered after all, it's the same labour charge all over again :)

The OEM flywheel is an expensive beast - around £700 - not sure how much the SMF's go for.

Probably worth pointing out that I was told the OEM clutches for TFSI cars changed from being manufactured by LUX, to being Sachs a couple of years after the VRS/Mk5 GTI came out, and the Sach is sturdier than the Lux. (having said that, the new clutch I have sitting in the spare room is a Lux, so this may be nonsense)

What power are you currently / intending to run? An S3 has the same clutch as yours with a shed load of power, and many people run 300bhp+ with the standard clutch.

I've taken a gamble of sorts with mine - I got hold of a replacement OEM clutch and DMF for £200 - add another £220 for fitting, then see how long it lasts :)

I am currently running 270 bhp and 350 NM .. and where it will end .. a Ko4 was the next plan..

All I am worried about is will there be transmission noise from a single mass flywheel

Will The Corrado G60 fit as it did on the Mk 1 Octy, worked out quite a cheap upgrade

Whatever you do decide on the max power you are going to go to, from experience I spent rather a lot on clutch upgrades as the power increased. Also the Carbon ones take more power but lack some feel

Edited by Stuart_J

If you're considering a K04 conversion and definitely need some kind of new clutch, makes perfect sense to fit the uprated Sachs in my opinion.

Micky on here, armed with a K04 on his VRS, suffers from clutch slip. 320 ish bhp is quite ambitious for a standard clutch.

Couple of guys with SMF's in their GTI's do report transmission noise.

If you're considering a K04 conversion and definitely need some kind of new clutch, makes perfect sense to fit the uprated Sachs in my opinion.

Micky on here, armed with a K04 on his VRS, suffers from clutch slip. 320 ish bhp is quite ambitious for a standard clutch.

Couple of guys with SMF's in their GTI's do report transmission noise.

This is all you need. If you had a faulty DMF you will know. Just replace it with this, i'm going to order one soon. It's a sachs organic disk and pressure plate. I had one on my old TDI that had more higher torque spikes and still was good after 100k

http://www.sachsperformance.com/EU/sachs-race-performance-clutch/audi/audi-a3-8p1-ab-0503/s3-quatto-195kw/sre-performance-kupplung-set-2.htm

• 2 months later...

I RUN A SACHS UPRATED CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEEL IN MY CAR PURCHASED FROM JABBA MOTORSPORT MY CAR RUNS ABOUT 290 BHP THERE NOT CHEAP £1000 PLUS FITTING BUT ITS THE ONLY 1 THAT WOULD DO THE JOB FOR YOU ESPECIALY IF YOUR GOING KO4 ALSO CHANGE THE FLYWHEEL IF YOU JUST DO THE CLUTCH YOUR ASKING FOR TRUOBLE LATER

Welcome to Briskoda :)

You should really stop TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS as it's considered 'shouting'.

Sounds like you've spent some money on your car then - what's the full list of mods?

Welcome to Briskoda :)

You should really stop TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS as it's considered 'shouting'.

Sounds like you've spent some money on your car then - what's the full list of mods?

be interested to see your mod list.

as timmy said

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

CapsLock.jpg