Octavia vRS Tyres

Great thread. My 58-plate Skoda Octavia vRS bought used last year has very noisy tyres. Mine seems to have Dunlop Sport Maxx rear and Dunlop Sport Maxx TT fronts. Is this what it came with from the factory? The car has 18" wheels with 225/40 18 tyre size.

I've never had a car with a 40 profile tyre before but I'm guessing the very loud tyre noise is thanks to this. Can I simply choose a 45 profile next time.? My fathers VW Eos has 235/40 ZR18 and they look fatter. He has Continentals that appear to have a protective bulge lip around the rim. Can I fit 235 section tyres to my alloys? I'm told the sidewall profile is just a percentage of the width ie. 40% of 225mm on my car.

Whatever size I choose I'll go with a different brand of tyre. I've always liked Uniroyal tyres especially as its always raining here in the UK.

Just bought conti 5 for the rear. They seem to be coming top in tyre tests just now. Have got conti 3 on the front and find them decent

Plenty of meat left on my tyres so nothing to worry about there, but has anyone else found the front tyres on the octavia look very flat at the recommended 2 bar? I've not had any handling issue, they just don't look that normal.

Plenty of meat left on my tyres so nothing to worry about there, but has anyone else found the front tyres on the octavia look very flat at the recommended 2 bar? I've not had any handling issue, they just don't look that normal.

So under 30 psi is recommended for all 4 tires??!!

Anybody else had any more updates / experienced this?

I run Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres all round on my FL mk2 Octy vrs and they seem to be wearing well so far and handle dry and wet very well. I've tended to pay approx. £130/corner fully fitted for these the last few years I've had them. Albeit I've only just replaced the front two tyres recently. I do mainly motorway miles.

I run 2.1 bar on the rear tyres and 2.0 on the fronts-I reckon the fronts do tend to look a little flat at 2.0 bar as though they could do with 0.2 bar or so more air.

The Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's have transformed my car (previous owner had Conti Sport 3's on front / Dunlop SP Maxx on back).

I would highly recommend these as they are also fantastic in the wet and lets be honest, it rains a lot in the UK :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's have transformed my car (previous owner had Conti Sport 3's on front / Dunlop SP Maxx on back).

I would highly recommend these as they are also fantastic in the wet and lets be honest, it rains a lot in the UK :)

My mate at work has a Focus RS and he recommends these tyres too - thanks Wardy-

I have had the Vreds on my 2006 VRS TFSI Octavia a few thousand miles now but I am not that impressed to tell you the truth. I had Bridgestones on before and they felt more stable. To me the Vred's feel like they are moving around more when changing direction, I am only on 17" wheels but the Bridgestones didn't move round as much on exactly the same wheels. The Vred's are also wearing rather quickly. The only reason I went for the Vred's were that they were recommended by my tyre dealer and were a good price. The bridgestones were going up in price year on year. The Vred's are probably as good if not better in the wet and snow but as we only have a few days snow per year it's not a concern IMHO. I drive the hardest in the dry and for me the Bridgestones win hands down. Just got to find a cheap supplier for Bridgestones in the north west.

• 7 months later...

Started running Michelin PS3s on my 2010 vRS CR after original Dunlops wore out. Been very pleased with them and today replaced fronts again after last pair did 17k with 3mm left on them. Pretty happy with that.

Sarge.

• 6 months later...

I was going to go for the vreds, but ended up going for Goodyear efficient grip performance again. They are a very good tyre in my opinion( but have nothing to compare them to). They are nice and quiet and very Grippy, for the first 2000miles on them I couldnt make them spin on the cr vrs no matter how fast I pull off! Now they arent quite as good but still have no issues going fast into a corner when wet.it never understeers or feels twitchy.Got them for 84quid a corner on tyres-uk.Co.UK.just gota get them fitted on rears as they have worn very unevenly n gota get tracking done and hope for the best! Kinda annoying as tyres still have about 6mm or so!