1.9 Skoda Fabia Differences

ChunHall

I have a Mk I 1.2 16v Skoda Fabia, and want to replace it.

I REALLY like the original Fabia vRS, but by buying one I would be buying a car that's older than my current one.

So, I was wondering how difficult it would be to make my own Mk II vRS (instead of the ridiculous 178 BHP 1.4 petrol one that VW Group are proposing).

I was thinking of buying a nearly-new 1.9 diesel Skoda Fabia, and simply adding / switching out the components necessary to make it run with the same performance as the original Fabia vRS. Then when the Mk II vRS is unleashed, get hold of the different bodykit.

End result; a car that works like the old Fabia vRS, yet looks as good as the new one. :rofl:

All I need to know is which parts are different between the vRS and the 1.9 TDi.

It probably can't be done, and this post will be a stupid waste of time... But hey.

Thanks a lot

Chris

• Like 1

(Not that it's important...) I just realised I said my current car was 16V... That was a typo and obviously meant to be 12V...

I did some more researching today on Carfolio, and the new Fabia 1.9 TDi PD is 150 kg lighter than the (soon-to-be) old Fabia vRS.

Other than that, the most major differences I could find were; (New 1.9 TDi PD - Old vRS)

Compression ratio: 18.5:1 - 19:1

Wheels: 6J x 15 ET43 - 6 1/2J x 16

Tyres: 195/55 R 15 85H - 205/45 R 16 V

Brake Area Front: 288 mm - 258 mm

Transmission: 5 Manual - 6 Manual

That is about it...

My wife has a Fabia II 1.9TDI.

Brakes seem to be the same as the old vRS (288mm vented and pad part no. is the same).

It will take the vRS wheels/tyres.

Steering rack etc seems to be the same.

You can fit Jabba or Whiteline RARB (I have the Whiteline).

For £135 you can get a set of Eibachs which will lower it by 30mm and improve the handling.

You can easily remap to 130-140bhp.

Main stumbling block is the 5-speed box, ours could really use that 6th ratio.

devonutopia - It was a typo, I have a 12v 1.2

I probably got a bit excited there :D

Turns out the brakes are the same - that's the first time Carfolio's been wrong about something. I was thinking of going for some 312mm Audi brakes anyway.

But you guys reckon that a 6-speed gearbox, vRS wheels, suspension (either vRS, or Eibach with Jabbasport Anti rollbar... Possibly Whiteline, what's the difference?) and remap is all that's required?

(I say ALL because it's a short list, not becuse it's a small job.)

Then I just sit and wait for the real Mk2 vRS to come out, and get hold of a bodykit, and perhaps make a few tweaks here and there. And maybe some of the new vRS wheels, but I like the original vRS wheels... So I'm not sure.

Glad you think so emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

There's far less difference than I expected, to be honest... Unless I'm missing something... emoticon-0124-worried.gif

If you start off with a 1.9 sport, you will be most of the way there :)

Make no mistake, the engines in the Sport and the vRS are quite different, but yes the Sport will remap to 140ish bhp without bother. If thats enough for you then great! emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I'd stop getting bogged down with "making a vRS", just buy a Sport, and do what you like to it, but please don't try to make a vRS. emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Make no mistake, the engines in the Sport and the vRS are quite different, but yes the Sport will remap to 140ish bhp without bother. If thats enough for you then great! emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I'd stop getting bogged down with "making a vRS", just buy a Sport, and do what you like to it, but please don't try to make a vRS. emoticon-0105-wink.gif

I was planning on starting with a Sport because they're pretty well equipped as standard.

Besides the numbers and gearbox, what's the big difference? I'm struggling to find any resources on them :D

And what's wrong with making my own vRS? Skoda have gone waaaaaaay off-track with theirs, and I just want something like the original but more updated :p

I was planning on starting with a Sport because they're pretty well equipped as standard.

Besides the numbers and gearbox, what's the big difference? I'm struggling to find any resources on them emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

And what's wrong with making my own vRS? Skoda have gone waaaaaaay off-track with theirs, and I just want something like the original but more updated emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

Turbo and injectors are just 2 things, there are internal differences to the engines too.

Well, you can't really make a Sport into a vRS, but you can make a Sport very 'sporty'! No harm in that. Just do the remap and the suspension mods and I'm sure you'll be happy. My wife's slightly modded MkII 1.9TDi is as good as a standard Mk I vRS in terms of performance and handling and makes a great day-to-day runabout with good economy. The MkII is also slightly more refined. The lack of a 6-speed box is really the only major shortcoming.

• 3 months later...

Would mark 1 vrs springs fit mark II.

I'm wondering if the mark 1 vrs springs are the same as the factory fit -15mm lowered spring option on the mark II

I know one way to find out is to check the part numbers, so does anyone know the part numbers for vrs springs and -15mm springs on the mark II?

• 9 months later...