Anyone have an Octy 4x4 TSi?

I'm still torn on which Octy to buy, it will be new and it will be an estate, other sure thing is it will be ordered by the end of March ;-)

Anyone driven a 4x4 TSi ? How do you find it, coming from the torque of a PD diesel am I going to be disappointed with the 1.8 petrol, reviews like the engine. I don't really do the miles to justify a diesel anymore and the DMF and DPF are really off putting. I do however need an estate to get two greyhounds.

Thanks

D

I cannot offer you comments on 4x4 TSi as I don't own one! However I wanted to agree with your concerns regarding diesel engines and DMF and DPF. I have been a long standing fan of diesel and once upon a time all you had to worry about in diesel cars was possible turbo failure. Now there is the Dual Mass Flywheel (just Google it and you will find major problems with VAG cars and Jaguar) and now because of EuroV, the DPF. The DPF is, apparently, reliable enough if your driving involves frequent long blasts down the motorway but there are definite reliability issues if you do short journeys as I do. Hence because of all this my next car, likely to be an Octavia, will have a petrol engine. In your case with 4x4 which means higher transmission losses and probably worse aerodynamics you will be up in the plus 150 CO2 group with a petrol, so paying double road tax when your car is first registered - not good news!

i was torn wether to buy the 1.8tsi 4x4 or the 1.9tdi. eventually i went for the diesel as it will be cheaper to run, insure and tax and i prefered it. i tested a standard 1.8tsi and it deffinatly had some beans, but i dont need that so much now, and losing 10mpg wasnt worth it.

i am aware of issues with dpf and dmf but i think you have to look at these issues in context, ie how many cars are sold compared to how many issues are reported, i think you will find the percentage is quite low although if you do have issues it could be expensive. i do however feel that we now live in a world where any problem can be made out to be the worst thing ever, scaremongering in my opinion.

at the end of the day every decision is a gamble, and only you can weigh up which is best for yourself.

good luck with your choice, i ordered mine on sunday and it may be 12-16 weeks for delivery, its going to be a long few months!!

I find the TSI works a treat in my Scout. It has plenty of grunt from ~1200/1300RPM and goes like the clappers from 2000RPM up. It's lovely and smooth, quiet and compared to what I came from fairly frugal.

I dont find myself constantly changing gears if that is your concern - it lends itself well to lazy driving.

My mileage didnt warrant a diesel based on economics, but had it been a CR unit on offer I may have been more tempted. My test drive was in a PD Scout.

All that said - I do not tow anything and probably never will.

I ordered my 1.8TSI 4x4 Octavia on Saturday. :)

Like the OP I have deliberated long and hard between the 1.8TSI and the 1.9PD. The 2.0PD with DPD is no longer an option for me as I have just suffered a DPF failure with my current car (vauxhall Zafira) and it cost me over £1500 to fix. This despite travelling 20,000 miles per year, much of it on motorways.

I consider the 1.9 PD to be rather old fashioned now and noisy. I am shortly to be made redundant (early retirement) and thus my mileage will drop from 20,000 to about 7,000 miles per year. Thus fuel consumption is not a big issue any more.

I intend to pull a caravan with this car so the extra power will be more useful than the torque at low revs. I'm concerened that the max power of 105 BHP from the 1.9PD will limit my future choice in heavier caravans.

Don't know how long I'll have to wait, I was told some time in May but think it might be longer.

I ordered my 1.8TSI 4x4 Octavia on Saturday. :)

Like the OP I have deliberated long and hard between the 1.8TSI and the 1.9PD. The 2.0PD with DPD is no longer an option for me as I have just suffered a DPF failure with my current car (vauxhall Zafira) and it cost me over £1500 to fix. This despite travelling 20,000 miles per year, much of it on motorways.

I consider the 1.9 PD to be rather old fashioned now and noisy. I am shortly to be made redundant (early retirement) and thus my mileage will drop from 20,000 to about 7,000 miles per year. Thus fuel consumption is not a big issue any more.

I intend to pull a caravan with this car so the extra power will be more useful than the torque at low revs. I'm concerened that the max power of 105 BHP from the 1.9PD will limit my future choice in heavier caravans.

Don't know how long I'll have to wait, I was told some time in May but think it might be longer.

If the dealer said May, he is very much out of touch.

I odered my Octavia Scout first week in Feb, and my build is week 15, delivery week 17-18 (mid May)

Check with Skoda UK for realistic date if I were you

Edited by BOBW

Scouts come out of a different factory IIRC same as VRS. I assume a finished 4x4 is sent somewhere else to be caressed and be Scout-ified so they take a little longer.

I might also be wrong.

Scouts come out of a different factory IIRC same as VRS. I assume a finished 4x4 is sent somewhere else to be caressed and be Scout-ified so they take a little longer.

I might also be wrong.

I bought mine last March, delivered in June 2009.

Made in Czechoslovakia, brill motor for towing.

I have the 1.8 having changed from Subaru auto - bit of a change. 1st gear will pull anything anywhere, although the book says don't do a lot in 1st gear, so you just have to remember to change quickly. After that the power is very flexible. Also remember that it has a rev limiter on, so it don't like going into the red.

We have a nearby by-pass with really dangerous junctions - foot down hard to join traffic moving downhill fast. It was all right with the automatic Subaru, but if not careful, mine will start to slow down without warning when you (I) forget about gears. I will get used to it, but it's about 20 years since a manual box.

Only locked myself out once, so be warned.

Mine is just about run in having done all of 3500 miles and starting to get quite economical just running around town compared with the subaru.

I have a customer who bought the Audi with the same engine and he over the moon getting 40+mph on longer journeys, mine is still in the 26 range when towing, but it is still getting better.

Edited by Normcall

And me; and me!! My 1.8 TSI Octy Scout is the biz. Maybe not quite as smooth as the Mrs' 320 SLK, but then, it probably won't rust like it either!