Towing with a vrs tdi estate

Help need some advice i'm about to replace my present car and have narrowed my choice down to a VRS TDI 170 estate or superb cr170. The VRS would be my first choice as it satisfies the boy racer in me ( should have said old boy racer) but the superb is the heavier car for towing so should be the better tow car. so eventually my questain does any one tow a caravan with a VRS and how does it tow. thanks

It will depend on the car:caravan weight ratio to a large extent.

I tow a caravan with a petrol vrs estate. Other than the poor fuel economy and problems with grip on wet grass I have had no bother. I tend to load up the car boot with the heavier equipment and have had no worries with lack of power or snaking.

I bought the caravan last spring and was limited to the choice of caravan by the car. If you already have your caravan you will be able to assess the weight ratios and make up your mind from there.(If I recall the C&C club website had a good section on towcar selection)

I'm tempted to go for a Superb 4x4 for my next car

I tow a Bailey Ranger 500/5 with a Petrol VRS Hatch, there is no real issue with towing performance as far as I can tell. The MPG isn't great (around the 23 mpg mark) and the clutch tends to be a little smelly when reversing uphill, but they are minor issues.

I can only assume that the towing performance of the Diesel is more than adequate.

www.whattowcar.com is a good, free outfit matching service.

Edited by Wild Rover

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, my caravan falls with in the 85% of kerb wieght rule and i have been towing for 20 odd years i just needed to know what your opinions were of the VRS as a tow car.

I tow with a vRS CR TDi hatch. It's great! Currently towing just over 1300Kg and performance is great. Stability is not an issue, though my Swift has an Alko stabiliser, Shocks and Alko ATC. I run with a 75Kg noseweight and have had no issues with traction, tho I do put the back tyres up to the max (this is a pain but it seems to help). Economy towing varies from about 24 towing hard against the wind, to 31 on a gentler run.

Currently pondering on getting a Yeti, but having been to look again today I can see me getting a facelifted vRS and having a few grand in the bank.

I have a fixed Brink towbar with 13 pin electrics (was originally twin sockets but had it changed for the new 'van). The bracket is quite low so the 'van does tow slightly nose down.

i tow a caterham on a BJT and its really nice, pulls away nicely and braking is fine. I usually get 48mpg and found fully loaded up spare set of tyres, tent and spares/tools with caterham on the tralier i was still getting 38mpg mix of motorway and country roads