Dubmeister Pressed Metal Plates £20 + postage

SCVRS

Anything happening with this?

i am just waiting on the discount codes from the supplier. i am as keen as you to get tths through, so i am chasing daily!

Looks to me the aint fussed about business,

Any other uk companies making them?

If Dubmeister aren't a UK company that would explain a lot. I've been looking into the legality of these plates and asked one of the guys at work known as 'the oracle' due to his vast knowledge and experience of all things traffic related and it would appear that they are not legal. I mentioned the BS marking and as he rightly stated anyone can mark anything with a number but it doesn't mean it actually complies. The Dubmeister website states that the plates have the relevant etchings to comply with BSAU145d but the etchings make up a very small part of the requirements.

The main problem would appear to lie in the reflectivity and the retroreflectivity standards. The perspex ones meet these perfectly but I'd be interested to see how the pressed plates do in testing. The other thing to consider is that Dubmeister are saying they are legal but they are also 'providers' of show plates. It has been illegal to sell show plates in the UK for nearly two years now. They used to be able to get away with providing advice at point of sale that they were not to be used on the road and were only for show. That's gone now and you simply cannot sell them. Trading standards can hammer people with £2500 a sale if they do. In short the Police are happy to issue tickets for non-conforming number plates. You may be able to blag some cops but not all. They are £60 tickets now as well. Or you could risk fighting the ticket through the courts but I wouldn't want to risk my time and money doing so. Don't mean to be a party pooper but I thought you'd all appreciate the heads up.

They do look good though!!!

If Dubmeister aren't a UK company that would explain a lot. I've been looking into the legality of these plates and asked one of the guys at work known as 'the oracle' due to his vast knowledge and experience of all things traffic related and it would appear that they are not legal. I mentioned the BS marking and as he rightly stated anyone can mark anything with a number but it doesn't mean it actually complies. The Dubmeister website states that the plates have the relevant etchings to comply with BSAU145d but the etchings make up a very small part of the requirements.

The main problem would appear to lie in the reflectivity and the retroreflectivity standards. The perspex ones meet these perfectly but I'd be interested to see how the pressed plates do in testing. The other thing to consider is that Dubmeister are saying they are legal but they are also 'providers' of show plates. It has been illegal to sell show plates in the UK for nearly two years now. They used to be able to get away with providing advice at point of sale that they were not to be used on the road and were only for show. That's gone now and you simply cannot sell them. Trading standards can hammer people with £2500 a sale if they do. In short the Police are happy to issue tickets for non-conforming number plates. You may be able to blag some cops but not all. They are £60 tickets now as well. Or you could risk fighting the ticket through the courts but I wouldn't want to risk my time and money doing so. Don't mean to be a party pooper but I thought you'd all appreciate the heads up.

They do look good though!!!

I am afraid that your friend "The Oracle" is wrong on this occasion. I have checked the legality of these myself on the relative websites and the plates are absolutely legal! The main thing is that the font, spacing, strength and reflective coatings are all correct, they must also have the manufacturers name and postcode and of the course the BS mark. Dubmeister comply with these on all levels. I have also checked with my local MOT testing station and they are also of the opinion that they are legal. Your post is very unhelpfull and mis-informed! Dubmeister are also a UK company I believe!

I have spoken to Dubmeister and they have confirmed that the discount codes will be with me soon. The reason for the delay is that there is currently another group buy taking place with another forum and they can only apply one discount code to their site at a time.

The Dubmiester plates have been tested by TUV I think, and has passed the relevant standards that correspond to the BS standards.

Hence, perfectly legal :)

If yo do a search I created a post with my plates from dubmeister. I have normal and pressed next to one another and took the pictures with and without the flash. The react exactly the same. I had an ex copper have a look and he said there was no issues. Font, space and size were correct. From a distance you can't tell that they are differen from the bog standard if you ask me :)

Copper on a "vulture" mission just told me off for my Dubmeister rear plate ON MY OWN DRIVEWAY! :thumbdown: Had to point out it WAS ROAD LEGAL in no uncertain terms then he gave me a *******ing for the front plate which yeah... is slightly illegal! :giggle: Had the audacity to claim I was spotted on my mobile phone when I'd left the thing in my bedroom all day! The cheek of it! :dull:

Copper on a "vulture" mission just told me off for my Dubmeister rear plate ON MY OWN DRIVEWAY! :thumbdown: Had to point out it WAS ROAD LEGAL in no uncertain terms then he gave me a *******ing for the front plate which yeah... is slightly illegal! :giggle: Had the audacity to claim I was spotted on my mobile phone when I'd left the thing in my bedroom all day! The cheek of it! :dull:

This is why I decided not to go for the Dubmeister plates - not that there is any doubt about whether they were legal, but didn't want to get stopped and have to prove they were.

I asked the copper around the corner about these plates last week, when I was asking him about average speed cameras.

He said that the current Dubmeister plates were 100% street legal including the reflectivity. [Reading between the lines, I took this to mean that some of the earlier plates did not have the correct reflective index].

He also gave me two pieces of advice...

1. Most pressed plates on the road are not street legal, so expect to get stopped at some point. Keep a DATED invoice stating they are 'UK street legal' with you as this will avoid having to get them inspected. [Note he said DATED invoice which again makes me believe there was a problem with earlier plates]

2. He said it was a myth that a replacement plate for a pre-2002 car didn't have to comply with the new rules and leaving off the name/postcode could lead to a catch22 situation. [Maybe someone here understands this one].

Edited by rwbaldwin

This is why I decided not to go for the Dubmeister plates - not that there is any doubt about whether they were legal, but didn't want to get stopped and have to prove they were.

I asked the copper around the corner about these plates last week, when I was asking him about average speed cameras.

He said that the current Dubmeister plates were 100% street legal including the reflectivity. [Reading between the lines, I took this to mean that some of the earlier plates did not have the correct reflective index].

He also gave me two pieces of advice...

1. Most pressed plates on the road are not street legal, so expect to get stopped at some point. Keep a DATED invoice stating they are 'UK street legal' with you as this will avoid having to get them inspected. [Note he said DATED invoice which again makes me believe there was a problem with earlier plates]

2. He said it was a myth that a replacement plate for a pre-2002 car didn't have to comply with the new rules and leaving off the name/postcode could lead to a catch22 situation. [Maybe someone here understands this one].

As I understand it any plate made after 1st september 2001 had to comply with the new regulations concerning typeface, spacing etc.

oh and Dubmeister are registered number plate suppliers with the DVLA though the address is different :rofl:

Congrats to all of those that went for this group buy. I've had my ones on for 11 months. Never had any issues including finding myself in a cruise (long story!) where cars were being looked at VERY closely by the old bill for anything they could pin on people.

Robs top tip - change your rear numberplate lights to LEDs for even more impact.

Only negative- stone chips on my front one.

any news on these bad boys? im eager and want them now:P

HA HA! Me too mate! Don't worry, I will be calling Dubmeister later today and hopefully will have the discount codes this week as I believe that the other group buy has finished and they can let us have ours now!!

Your post is very unhelpfull and mis-informed!

Well unfortunately that is the view held by some police officers. If someone could point to the website that confirms the legality of the plates then that would be a bigger help than people simply telling everyone that I am wrong and quoting their own experiments. Are the plates kite marked anywhere?

At the end of the day the overall message in my post is correct. There are Police Officers who are willing to give tickets out to people with pressed plates. I was simply letting people know that it is a possibility. I like the look of the pressed plates but I'm not willing to take the risk.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's wrong.

Edited by Yella

Well unfortunately that is the view held by some police officers. If someone could point to the website that confirms the legality of the plates then that would be a bigger help than people simply telling everyone that I am wrong and quoting their own experiments. Are the plates kite marked anywhere?

At the end of the day the overall message in my post is correct. There are Police Officers who are willing to give tickets out to people with pressed plates. I was simply letting people know that it is a possibility. I like the look of the pressed plates but I'm not willing to take the risk.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's wrong.

It's not that I don't like something! It's that you are incorrect. The pressed metal plates are completly legal and carry all necessary BS/Kite marks etc etc! Exactly where have people posted their "own experiments???" Someone has even pointed you in the direction of the DVLA website, proving the Dubmeister are a legally recognised number plate supplier!!

I won't turn this into a slanging match mate and your perfectly entitled to your own point of view. But I will say it once more! THESE PLATES ARE COMPLETELY LEGAL!!!

No police officer would give a ticket just because the plate is made of metal! Dubmeister are a registered number plate maker and their postcode is etched onto the plates. If a police officer wanted to challenge this, then let them. They will be wrong and the ticket would be cancelled! I don't know what else to say to you, except if you like the plates then buy them. YOU WILL BE LEGAL! Check it out for yourself on the necessary websites and show me where it states that number plates have to be plastic!

Edited by SCVRS

did you get the code in the end? is it too late to stick my name down?

Hi. I am still awaiting the codes from Dubmeister. They are currently closed dues to unforeseen cirumstances and will re-open on the 6th May. Hopefully get codes then or shortly after. I will let you know if it is too late, I have already submitted numbers to Dubmeister so you may have to rely on someone dropping out i'm afraid. I will do what I can my end for you.

you have to love them trolls!!

I see it like this if you name is down on the GB list then yes by all means have your say..................if not then what does it matter to you as it will not effect you.

SCVRS - thank you for taking the time in trying to get us a discount :thumbup:

you have to love them trolls!!

I see it like this if you name is down on the GB list then yes by all means have your say..................if not then what does it matter to you as it will not effect you.

SCVRS - thank you for taking the time in trying to get us a discount :thumbup:

You're welcome mate. No need to thank me as I am benefiting from the discount too! I did it for entirely selfish reasons! You lot get to benefit too though :D Everyones a winner!