pollen filter

Hey guys, I have had a flooded battery compartment, and a trouble with the servo as a result of that (posted in separate discussion topics), but have unblocked the drain plugs which were completely solid and now want to sort out the pollen filter housing.

However, there is nothing currently fitted on top of the pollen filter, like a cover or something like that, which got me worried. Is there supposed to be something there? To clarify, I have removed the big seal around the engine bay, removed the scuttle, and was presented with a bare pollen filter. If something is missing, I will need to get this pronto as I don't want a flood! :S

Nope, there isn't a cover as such. Just a little tray which acts as a gutter to direct any water from the screen away from the filter housing. This picture (stolen from a thread) shows how it should look.

11reyas.jpg

Note, there should be a small clip on the front edge to hold the filter in place, but to be honest, providing it's a snug fit in the housing, I wouldn't lose sleep if it's missing.

Edited by VRSPhil

Nope, there isn't a cover as such. Just a little tray which acts as a gutter to direct any water from the screen away from the filter housing. This picture (stolen from a thread) shows how it should look.

11reyas.jpg

Note, there should be a small clip on the front edge to hold the filter in place, but to be honest, providing it's a snug fit in the housing, I wouldn't lose sleep if it's missing.

Thank you mate. Job done. BTW plastic clip broken on one side but applied plenty of silicone to hold the "gutter" in place, and changed the filter too with a new one from Halfords.

Recently done the seal fix too, managed to break the clip on the channel when I took it out so have just replaced mine, sourced at the local VW garage as the Skoda garage is 20 miles away.

If anyone is interested it is a shared part with the Passat and the part # is 3B2 819 979 and is around £3.09 + VAT and the clips that hold the pollen filter in place are part # 3B0 819 817 and available for the princely sum of 46p + VAT each (I think there are two originally)

Also had to replace the scuttle panel as there was a big crack in the centre (think the previous owner had the battery out without removing the panel and the V6 battery is huge) and the panel should really come off to get it out - the part # for this is 3B2 819 415 EB and £12.27 + VAT (this is the part number for the black panel, apparently there is grey available so make sure you order the one you want)

Edited by Cledwen

the clips that hold the pollen filter in place are part # 3B0 819 817 and available for the princely sum of 46p + VAT each (I think there are two originally)

There is just the one 'clip' that holds the filter in place as there is just one slot for this 'clip' (as can be seen in the photo of the housing i took that is posted above)

Recently done the seal fix too, managed to break the clip on the channel when I took it out so have just replaced mine, sourced at the local VW garage as the Skoda garage is 20 miles away.

If anyone is interested it is a shared part with the Passat and the part # is 3B2 819 979 and is around £3.09 + VAT and the clips that hold the pollen filter in place are part # 3B0 819 817 and available for the princely sum of 46p + VAT each (I think there are two originally)

Also had to replace the scuttle panel as there was a big crack in the centre (think the previous owner had the battery out without removing the panel and the V6 battery is huge) and the panel should really come off to get it out - the part # for this is 3B2 819 415 EB and £12.27 + VAT (this is the part number for the black panel, apparently there is grey available so make sure you order the one you want)

My scuttle panel is cracked too, probably for the same reason as yours! To remove this, the wipers need to come off the spindle. How did you manage to "extract" them off? I removed the nuts, but the wiper arms were snuggly stuck on!

Put the wiper arms in the vertical position to give more room, prise off the plastic caps, loosen the nuts and use a 2 jaw puller to release the arms. They're tight.

Whilst the arms are off, remove the circlips and oil the shaft bearings on each side. There's a pathetic "O" ring seal in there which (of course) lets water into the bearings - which eventually rust solid.

Was the Wolfsburg engineering crew in the pub when this part of the car was designed?

rotodiesel.

Put the wiper arms in the vertical position to give more room, prise off the plastic caps, loosen the nuts and use a 2 jaw puller to release the arms. They're tight.

Whilst the arms are off, remove the circlips and oil the shaft bearings on each side. There's a pathetic "O" ring seal in there which (of course) lets water into the bearings - which eventually rust solid.

Was the Wolfsburg engineering crew in the pub when this part of the car was designed?

rotodiesel.

Oh goodness, another water ingress area to check.... is there any more? :'(

Thanks rotodiesel.

changed my one this weekend same issue it had been cracked.

Just to let you know be carefull when putting the nuts back on the wipers as they snap as i found out :( (used a big spanner with a little to much preasure)

Now need to get a new one does any one know if i have to get the whole wiper system or just that part with the thread on it (the one nearest the middle of the car)

If you have sheared off the threaded portion of the wiper spindle, the easiest repair would be to drill an axial hole and tap a thread (say M5) into it. Assuming the conical splined portion of the spindle is OK, the arm can then be refitted using an M5 set bolt, large washer and a spring washer.

Carefully done, this repair would be invisible under the black plastic bung.

The whole wiper mechanism (2 spindles, linkage and motor) is available and is easy to fit. Try eBay - but it would be quicker and cheaper to repair it.

rotodiesel.

Thanks for the input.

I may try to tap a new thread (not done that before so something new to try)

The conical part is fine the wiper is still on tight at the moment its just the threaded part that sticks up thats snapped.

"quicker and cheaper to repair" sounds good to me at the moment.

Just have to get hold of the right tool is it expensive do you know?

just had the clutch replaced and pockets are feeling a bit empty lol.

To make a good job of this repair you should ideally take the wiper mechanism out of the car and set the spindle up in a jig for drilling. This would ensure a central and parallel hole.

In the real world, you can drill in-situ. Have an assistant to check the drill alignment and use a very sharp drill to bore a pilot hole. Check the size you want (I suggested M5, but M6 would be stronger if there's room) and carefully open out the hole to the TAPPING size you need. Tap the hole carefully by hand using a taper tap to start. Be extremely careful not to shear off the tap when you hit the bottom of the hole - taps are as brittle as carrots.

Go carefully, allow for the washer(s) in your thread length and it should work. Drills and taps should be about £5 but buy or borrow a tap wrench.

Try a repair first, then if you mess it up you can fit a s/h wiper mechanism. Oil it well first though...

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel

To make a good job of this repair you should ideally take the wiper mechanism out of the car and set the spindle up in a jig for drilling. This would ensure a central and parallel hole.

In the real world, you can drill in-situ. Have an assistant to check the drill alignment and use a very sharp drill to bore a pilot hole. Check the size you want (I suggested M5, but M6 would be stronger if there's room) and carefully open out the hole to the TAPPING size you need. Tap the hole carefully by hand using a taper tap to start. Be extremely careful not to shear off the tap when you hit the bottom of the hole - taps are as brittle as carrots.

Go carefully, allow for the washer(s) in your thread length and it should work. Drills and taps should be about £5 but buy or borrow a tap wrench.

rotodiesel.

Nice one thats the next thing on the to do list.

Hopefully get it done before it rains to much..

Dont want it flying off when the other half is flying down the A41 / M25 its a silver one so be on the lookout and keep your distance when its raining lol :)........

Cheers for the tip Rotodiesel