engine tuning advice needed.

hi guys, im just about to order one of these cai kits of ebay and then replace the filter for a decent one, any recommendations for a tried and tested cone filter would be appreciated.

also considering spending a little money to increase power, what would you recommend and in what order?

the car is at pressent running 210 bhp with an amd remap, and pipecross pannel filter thats about it performance wise.

id like to get up to 240-250 bhp as long as it isnt going to cost me a stupid amounts of money.

any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

thanks

nick

Edited by nick_vrs

Guest westallc

u wont get 240 to 250 bhp

u can get 230 with front mount and stage 2 map

if you have already done exhaust, tip pipe,cai etc etc

u wont get 240 to 250 bhp

u can get 230 with front mount and stage 2 map

if you have already done exhaust, tip pipe,cai etc etc

i read mixed reviews on the tip, does it really make much difference? i assumed fmic would be required and an exhaust, is cat back ok or do i need to have racing cat as well?

that power mate is gonna cost a pritty penny. or for similar money you can get more.

if you get that.

your lookin at 220-230 for reasonable money but still not cheap.

FMIC

TIP (missed that) When you see the diff in size mate youll understand why

Turbo Back

Good Remap

plus youll need better brakes, suspension upgrades to cope.

also you would prob need a bigger Exhaust Mani(Clive had one FS ;-)

to get 240-250 really youll need a K04 upgrade imo but for the gains its not worth it spec as its a dead end, if you understand that.

Edited by billy2981

that power mate is gonna cost a pritty penny. or for similar money you can get more.

if you get that.

your lookin at 220-230 for reasonable money but still not cheap.

FMIC

TIP (missed that) When you see the diff in size mate youll understand why

Turbo Back

Good Remap

plus youll need better brakes, suspension upgrades to cope.

also you would prob need a bigger Exhaust Mani(Clive had one FS ;-)

to get 240-250 really youll need a K04 upgrade imo but for the gains its not worth it spec as its a dead end, if you understand that.

wow it seems i underestimated exactly how much money would need to be spent just for an extra 10-20bhp. so were looking at turbo back exhaust £550 ish, front mount £250-300, tip £100ish, another remap £400 so total spend = £1,250 roughly for 10-20 bhp :o i think i may have to give it some thought, that seems like a lot of money for not much return, in fact barely noticeable :(

PM Gerry (TheMethodFeeder) and ask him how much he spent to get his car to 230bhp+ :'(

The problem with the VRS is you can either spend a little bit of money and get 210-220 bhp out of it, or spend a LOT of money to go further, there is no "in between" stage

but mate, its the delivery and torqu you will get.

if you get the FMIC your lookin more like 500-600 for one that will go on or 2-300 for one youll need to customise and sort out your self.

Also depends on the map, mine was 395 from RS in leeds and it took paul 5 hr of trial and error to get the best out of it, most he got out of mine with std DP and TIP but all rest of the mods in my sig was 238 but it was not smooth and really was not good so fettled it and got 226 and 263lb ft very smooth and really nice.

I got TIP and 3" DP on 200 cell cat now and its already a lot smoother, just needs tweeking now but no rush.

all depends on what you want out of it, dont forget the brakes, pads at least and pos disks? then there is RARB(a must £150-250) and then maybe suspention? lol, 500 ish for coilovers or FSD and HRs lol, 700?

its a slippy slope mate.

good luck

my car was standard but now has the full phase 2,3"turbo back milltek,pipercross panel filter,forge front mount,007p,custom remap and all for £1830 from performance torque. it went from 187-239bhp and 193lb/ft-279lb/ft,.its a big leap really for the money.you already got a map though,so you're paying for that twice in effect,thats why i went for the phase two.i can leave it there or go down the b/t (yes please) route without swapping too many bits again.i dont understand why people go from standard to k04,then k04 hybrid,then big turbo.theyre remapping 3 times.theres £1500 straight away.i know few can afford to have a drive in drive out big turbo kit fitted in one go from standard,it'll sting you £10,000 with brakes,clutch,lsd and internals,ouch!

Guest westallc

even 239 is alot to run consistent on DIFFERENT rollers if im honest.

mine was running 230 that was with high flow manni and high flow inlet etc etc

it all boils down to the dyno lottery on the day i guess lol

Edited by westallc

even 239 is alot to run consistent on DIFFERENT rollers if im honest.

mine was running 230 that was with high flow manni and high flow inlet etc etc

it all boils down to the dyno lottery on the day i guess lol

Does that mean you don't rate the rollers or Paul at RS Tuning? I thought he'd got a pretty good reputation on here for being fairly conservative?

PM Gerry (TheMethodFeeder) and ask him how much he spent to get his car to 230bhp+ :'(

The problem with the VRS is you can either spend a little bit of money and get 210-220 bhp out of it, or spend a LOT of money to go further, there is no "in between" stage

Go on remind me what I spent on the car.....LOL

Click on the link below and see the car as it was when I sold it, it ran 238bhp and 250 lb ft torque at Marlins with one of the e-bay CAI's, well that was before I tarted it with an ABD Racing CAI, and would normally run 233bhp and 250/260 lb ft torque at most rollers (Marlins RR, Surrey RR and Performance at Uxbridge etc), all at under one (1) bar.

Modded to a sensible level, the car was fast, reliable, never ever broke down and held the road like S%$T to a blanket.

Keep the panel filter clean in a definned standard airbox and save the money that you would have spent on a CAI.

As others have stated, these will not run 250bhp with the KO3s, it just will not happen.

Want my advice, "DONT" waste your money chasing figures that you will not see without spending shed loads of money on the car that you will never recover, but, if your still convinced to go for more power, then a KO4 turbo with an equal length manifold, fmic, cai, tip etc will give you 260+bhp with shed loads of torque, and will still be a reliable every day car, that will hack off loads of bigger bhp cars up to 130 mph, but before that figure you will be sending your licence off for shredding. :giggle:

Just look in the for sale sections, where big BHP cars are being broken as nobody wants them, and they have no residual value when sold complete with the mods.

If you want "BIG RELIABLE" power then look to another make of car that will still have a good residual value when you come to sell it.

Edited by TheMethodFeeder

but, if your still convinced to go for more power, then a KO4 turbo with an equal length manifold,

who or where does these k04 equal length mani's come from, im interested in one of these B)

Edited by boomsly

thanks guys, youve really opened my eyes to a previously un-educated attitude to engine tuning, i was completely ignorant to the amount of modifications and amount of money that is required to achieve such little gains, a few years back i had a fiat coupe 20vt

that was 220bhp standard, i had a replacement ecu chip from a forum member (graham L chips) and a simple air box mod and that achieved 258bhp on a rolling road, and lots of other coupe owners achieved 300bhp with little more than a fmic, and an uprated turbo?

i just assumed that all petrol turbo cars were easy to make more powerful :no:

i guess with regards to the coupe, it has a better starting point for performance gains being a 2.0l 5 cylinder engine?

i love the car as it is, its plenty powerful for me but as we all know you could always do with more :giggle:

based on the information all of you have given, i thing ill just settle with what i have to save ploughing money into the car for possibly not much return.

so thanks guys for opening my eyes into the tuning world i can now see how so many people manage to spend thousands of pounds on their cars, however thats not for me i just thought i could add some extra horses simply by adding an exhaust and an fmic :giggle: i guess i was wrong then :rofl:

thanks guys, youve really opened my eyes to a previously un-educated attitude to engine tuning, i was completely ignorant to the amount of modifications and amount of money that is required to achieve such little gains, a few years back i had a fiat coupe 20vt

that was 220bhp standard, i had a replacement ecu chip from a forum member (graham L chips) and a simple air box mod and that achieved 258bhp on a rolling road, and lots of other coupe owners achieved 300bhp with little more than a fmic, and an uprated turbo?

i just assumed that all petrol turbo cars were easy to make more powerful :no:

i guess with regards to the coupe, it has a better starting point for performance gains being a 2.0l 5 cylinder engine?

i love the car as it is, its plenty powerful for me but as we all know you could always do with more :giggle:

based on the information all of you have given, i thing ill just settle with what i have to save ploughing money into the car for possibly not much return.

so thanks guys for opening my eyes into the tuning world i can now see how so many people manage to spend thousands of pounds on their cars, however thats not for me i just thought i could add some extra horses simply by adding an exhaust and an fmic :giggle: i guess i was wrong then :rofl:

As we have saved you thousands, perhaps you might think of investing £12 to join FREEDOM and contribute to the site????????? :yes: or :no:

who or where does these k04 equal length mani's come from, im interested in one of these B)

Just type in "KO4 equal length manifold" into GOOGLE, and the whole world of tuning/modifcation poverty opens for you :thumbup:

As we have saved you thousands, perhaps you might think of investing £12 to join FREEDOM and contribute to the site????????? :yes: or :no:

i most definately will, ive been meaning to join for a long time :thumbup:

thanks again guys.

Just type in "KO4 equal length manifold" into GOOGLE, and the whole world of tuning/modifcation poverty opens for you :thumbup:

i have looked around a fair bit but no-one seems to be selling them, jbs did one but no longer do by the looks of it, but are developing some sort of k04 manifold now

Imho

A map is the best upgrade, the other bits are nice if you can fit them yourself, but once the map is done the costs outweigh the performance.

I can see the point of doing the Zorst mind you, nice sound and that. Oh and a roll bar helps.

Imho

A map is the best upgrade, the other bits are nice if you can fit them yourself, but once the map is done the costs outweigh the performance.

I can see the point of doing the Zorst mind you, nice sound and that. Oh and a roll bar helps.

agreed there,

Dont even bother with a remap, just get the RARB first and have some fun there then a nice turbo back and remap, mod the air filter box yourself and pop a £35 pannel filter in too before gettin the map. no reall need for a FMIC unless you race or push the car really hard,

all depends on what you want out of it?

i have looked around a fair bit but no-one seems to be selling them, jbs did one but no longer do by the looks of it, but are developing some sort of k04 manifold now

www.frieling-racing.com

Send them an e-mail and ask for details regarding their equal length manifolds, but get ready, as they are not cheap.

Edited by TheMethodFeeder

www.frieling-racing.com

Send them an e-mail and ask for details regarding their equal length manifolds, but get ready, as they are not cheap.

thanks very much, never heard of them nor even seen them pop up in any threads before, no wonder im not looking in the right place :wonder:

thanks very much, never heard of them nor even seen them pop up in any threads before, no wonder im not looking in the right place :wonder:

HTH :thumbup: