Headlight Switch Replacement - 1999 Felicia

Hello!

This is my first post. I am the proud owner of a 1999 Felicia 1.9 Diesel and am very happy with it.

The headlight on/off switch in the row of push button switches in the middle of the dash is no longer functioning. The switch clicks rather than switching. I can buy a replacement online for £10 but need to know how to get at the switches.

I suppose it is a case of levering out the surrounding black panel, the large one which also surrounds the centre air vents. I would be grateful if anyone has any hints, tips or instructions for replacing this switch.

At least it is stuck in the off position!

Thanks in advance

Duncan Toms

Edited by Duncan Toms

Right. You're in for a real treat with this one!

You are right in thinking that tou must take the whole thing out (the whole plastic that surround the dashboard clocks etc too).

There are a few screws that hold it in place:

1. Under the centre air vent cover

2. Under the left end blanking plate in the row of switches

3. Behind the end switch blanking plate on the right hand side of the steering wheel

4. Behind the big planking plate to the right of the wheel (funny shaped one)

Think thats it but just take all the other blanking plates off too. I have a feeling there may be another one somewhere.

Now go into the engine bay and unscrew the speedo drive cable and free it from the hole (back of the gearbox)

Now you can begin to pull the trim forward. You may not need to completely remove it just to replace a switch in which case you are in luck. you should now have enough room to unplug the switch and push it out (it pushes inwards and it clipped in place).

Hope that helps.

Phil

There's a screw under the right-hand end of the main row of switches as well, isn't there?

And pressing the switches out is easier using pliers. PLus you don't have to take the black panel all the way out to do it if you use the right tools. Crappy design, for sure.

There's a screw under the right-hand end of the main row of switches as well, isn't there?

And pressing the switches out is easier using pliers. PLus you don't have to take the black panel all the way out to do it if you use the right tools. Crappy design, for sure.

Ah yes. I had a feeling there was another one somewhere!

Yes it is a pretty rubbish design!

Thank you for the instructions.

I will buy the part and build up to doing the replacement. I'll let you know how it goes.

Meanwhile, no driving at night (and with some strange wish that it will mend all by itself somehow!)

100_0549.jpg

100_0548.jpg

there's 5 screws in total to come out, then just carefully lift away the whole panel till you can reach the back of the switch, you just squeeze the tabs on them and they slide out... they can however be an absolute pig to get out without busting them

Phil, DJ and Teflon, thank you all for your clear guidance :)

The part arrived yesterday and I fitted it this morning. It went very smoothly

I didn't have to undo the speedo cable as there was enough slack for me to get to the switches

I feel a sense of accomplishment

No more sunset curfew!

Thank you again

Duncan

• 4 years later...

I have a follow up question.
I have the same problem describes above, I've unscrewed all the screws popped the dashboard and got to my switches, I've unplugged the power supply to the headlights switch but the switch itself seams kinda stuck in there.

Got my spare part, but I can't get the old switch out.
Do I use additional force and try to get it out just by pushing harder inwards or do I need to unhook some additional stuff? I fear that I might break something if I apply additional force. :/

They are difficult to get out, you normally just squeeze the little tabs in, it actually helps if you push in the switch further into the plastic facia because it releases the pressure on the locking tabs, on one of mine I ended up removing all of the switches to get to the one I wanted to remove because it was totally stuck.

I wonder why nobody mentioned how easy it is to remove the switches if you first take out the 2 holding pins...

see first photo.

in second photo I show the steps:

1) slide metallic pins (depicted in blue) purple arrows 

2) press firmly on both upper/lower tabs (red arrows) while

3) push out switch (yellow arrow)

so actually it is a clever design

79b6c3f58299.jpg

d958976a0c37.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

Brand new here, so wasn't sure if the correct etiquette was to create a new post or bump a relevant old one, so I've gone for the latter....

I have this exact problem (and had this exact problem about 3 years ago when I found this post which helped me out hugely and I fixed it!). HOWEVER, this time around, I can't seem to find any headlight switches available to buy. I can find the fog light ones and the hazard light ones, but none of the ones with the picture of the bulb on, and I read somewhere that I can't just use a foglight switch instead of the sidelight switch....

So, does anyone know how I would go about getting a replacement switch these days? Or is the car simply too old and it is now basically impossible to get one?

The title of the topic doesn't apply to your problem. You need to replace a broken sidelight switch.

...and I read somewhere that I can't just use a foglight switch instead of the sidelight switch.

True. They are not the same.

So, does anyone know how I would go about getting a replacement switch these days? Or is the car simply too old and it is now basically impossible to get one?

It's not the car too old. It's the local part dealers too lazy. eBay?

Edited by RicardoM

I got my sidelight switch from a main dealer about 6 months ago, (£13) would be surprised if they have run out since. Skoda don't have many new spares for Felicias these days but switches they did!

• 3 years later...
On 14/01/2016 at 17:08, ninjacj said:

I got my sidelight switch from a main dealer about 6 months ago, (£13) would be surprised if they have run out since. Skoda don't have many new spares for Felicias these days but switches they did!

I am looking for all the switches too.....does it have an online store i can order it from?