04 VRS Eating Tyres....

SLS82

Hi, I have a 2004 Fabia VRS and it quite literally EATS tyres.

I don't do massive miles or have a need to drive over 50mph even every day.

Last October I had two new front tyres and yesterday I noticed that the front passenger is looking a bit thin on the outside edge only.

The 'bump' in the groove is still legal but the outside is worn.

Why is this?

I am convinced its my O/H when he gets in it and abuses her because it makes him laugh...says it is more fun than his focus ST....hmmm...

His answer is just to get another tyre but is there a reason why it eats them so fast?

Normally they just wear, this one on the wall is a bit odd - not had that before.

Think the last two to go on were Hankook tyres, I know not £ but because I needed two at once and a cambelt change I was feeling tight :giggle:

Is there a certain tyre I should be going for which might last a bit longer?

I should now be able to get a discount as I have a friend in the trade (most tyres for this car are so expensive...crazy! - if I had known that before hand...)

Is wear on the outside illegal???

Thank you...

wear on the outside not illegal unless a copper deemed it that bad it was dangerous. tread depth taken from the middle 3/4 of the tyre if i remember.

Could be your tracking/ wheel alignment thats out-did you get wheels aligned when you got the tyres put on?

Then again it could just be the tyre shredding tourque in the furby :wonder:

n/s/f tyre, Hmmm, that'll be the one that gets battered by all the weight and torque on roundabouts

i would tell your OH to use his own car, and if he can't afford the excessive fuel costs involved in owning a Focup ST, then he shouldn't of bought one in the first place

Go get an alignment check done by one of the centres here (searches for places with decent machines):

http://classic.multimap.com/clients/places.cgi?client=alignmycar3

Most will only charge a nominal fee for checking the alignment (about £5-10), sorting it out could be around £30 but it'll be worth it in tyre saving costs + fuel economy (scrubbing tyres will cause higher fuel bills)

Avoid places like kwik fit for this, as generally they're poop

FYI i usually get between 15K and 20K per front set of goodyear GSD around Milton Keynes and weekend trips. I have found that having the console bushes changed to the Cupra one ones had a huge effect on tyre wear.

4K is really poor...... something strange going on there

Matt

tread depth taken from the middle 3/4 of the tyre if i remember.

According to the MOT centre near me - 1mm tread depth over at least 3/4 of the tyre and visible tread on the last 1/4