boo, engine management light on my new car ;-(

Hi Chaps, beem really enjoying my new (to me) car since i picked it up on wednesday.

Been on the motorway today for 2nd time going out for a camping trip to new forest. Car drove perfect coming out here, i parked up then the other half took the car back up to the reception to pay for our say and the engine managment light has come on. just the symbol, not he EPC. Checked the book and it says problem with exhaust component system ;-(.

There is a skoda dealer out here "meadons of sway" so will be going there first thing tomorow morning to see whats happended.

Any idea what it could be - a dirty maf maybe ?, any idea on cost if it is, or is there a better replacement at a good price, rather than one direct from the dealers ?

Any advice appreciated, anything i should try before going to dealers ?

Many thanks in advance, will connect back to internet later, im on a crappy slow 2g like here in the sticks!

Hi Chaps, beem really enjoying my new (to me) car since i picked it up on wednesday.

Been on the motorway today for 2nd time going out for a camping trip to new forest. Car drove perfect coming out here, i parked up then the other half took the car back up to the reception to pay for our say and the engine managment light has come on. just the symbol, not he EPC. Checked the book and it says problem with exhaust component system ;-(.

There is a skoda dealer out here "meadons of sway" so will be going there first thing tomorow morning to see whats happended.

Any idea what it could be - a dirty maf maybe ?, any idea on cost if it is, or is there a better replacement at a good price, rather than one direct from the dealers ?

Any advice appreciated, anything i should try before going to dealers ?

Many thanks in advance, will connect back to internet later, im on a crappy slow 2g like here in the sticks!

i had the same thing on my new car what i picked up friday a 2005 2L fsi and saturday out for long drive light come on phone up EMG and going back monday am not happy

it wont be the maf, but there is a common problem with the exhaust system, it should be covered by your used car warranty.

oh dear ;-( no warrenty, i bought the car privately - whats the common problem? expensive ??? ;-(

Edited by jammyb2009

it wont be the maf, but there is a common problem with the exhaust system, it should be covered by your used car warranty.

oh dear ;-( no warrenty, i bought the car privatly - whats the common problem? expensive ??? ;-(

Well after speaking to the dealers they said it was ok to continue to drive the car for the day and could run a can on it for me at 4pm this afternoon.

Whilst driving around this afternoon though the car felt fine and the light has since gone out!

Think ill get on and get that aftermarket warrenty sorted and wait and see if it comes up again or was just a false alarm.

;-)

When I had my light on the car drove fine. In my case it was an exhaust sensor that was wrong. In my case it was covered by waranty. I seem to remember my light went out after a while as well but the dealer still changed the sensor. I think if it had not been a waranty thing it would have cost £100 or so. I was advised that it was fine to drive as well and had no problems for the week or so it took to get the part in.