Pics of Anthracite Grey Facelift vRS Estae

Hi,

Just joined as we are thinking of replacing our BMW 130i M Sport with a new vRS Estate (petrol).

Ideally, I would like Race Blue, but been to the dealers today and told it'll be a 3 month wait. I was offered one in stock at another dealer for immediate delivery, but it's anthracite grey - haven't seen one of this colour ... anyone got any pics they could post?

cheers,

Andy

Anthracite really suits the hatch, it does look cracking. Makes the car look more expensive is probably the easiest way i could tell.

For an estate though, Race Blue all the way.

Not at all biased or anything :giggle:

EDIT: P.s. welcome! where in scotland are you?

Edited by Mute

Thanks. I think if we do go for the vRS we'll just order the colour and spec - Race Blue, rear parking sensors, heated seats, leather, silver roof rails, sunset glass etc.

On the options, any opinions on must-have options? I'm undecided on Maxidot and MDI, and also the spare wheel.

Also, still debating whether to go for the new vRS or a 2nd hand 3 series touring - probably a 325i M Sport, or 330i if I can find one for the right price ... anyone had or driven both as a comparison?

cheers,

andy

Options:

Add spare wheel (it's a bargain, costs less than the tyre and you get tyre, wheel + tools)

Remove sunset glass and get it done at your local respected auto tint place, use the money saved to buy the spare wheel :thumbup:

Maxidot is a must have (search this forum). MDI i can't comment.

Vrs's and Skoda are nice and all that, but you kept that quiet! 6cyl bmw every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Forget the Skoda! :giggle: i've not driven the new engine in the new 3 series BMW but have driven the previous and it was phenomenal. What an engine. Tons of torque low down, sounds beautiful, really sounds nice (in the german nice way -- beefy, big, muscular). Have driven the newer 3 body (not the new unreleased one, the current E90 one) in a couple of guises now, all 4 pots though, was mighty under whelmed :thumbdown: the skoda vrs engine absolutely trounces the 4 pot BMW engines.

Options:

Vrs's and Skoda are nice and all that, but you kept that quiet! 6cyl bmw every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Forget the Skoda! :giggle: i've not driven the new engine in the new 3 series BMW but have driven the previous and it was phenomenal. What an engine. Tons of torque low down, sounds beautiful, really sounds nice (in the german nice way -- beefy, big, muscular). Have driven the newer 3 body (not the new unreleased one, the current E90 one) in a couple of guises now, all 4 pots though, was mighty under whelmed :thumbdown: the skoda vrs engine absolutely trounces the 4 pot BMW engines.

This is the dilemma we've currently got ... the car is to replace my wife's BMW 130i M sport, which is a great car with a great engine - it's just not big enough!

Now, ideally we would just swap into a bigger 330i Touring, but they are expensive and not many about 2nd hand - certainly not under £20k!

We test drove a 320i Touring, and as you rightly say, underwhelmed is the word - the 2.0 4-pot was lacking in grunt and sounded very ordinary ... so it's got to be at least a 325i and preferably M Sport.

So, for around £18k we can either get a 3 year old 325i M Sport Touring or a brand new vRS estate - in exactly the colour we want and to our spec.

The other thing counting against the BMW is that the boot isn't exactly massive.

BTW, another question ... the 2.0 TFSI engine in the latest vRS - is it different to the pre-facelift 2.0 TFSI?

All the reviews I have seen say it's the same engine, and the brochure quotes the same 200bhp ...

but the salesman at Henrys yesterday told me it's a new engine, and actually puts out nearer 215bhp ... is that ******?

Thanks. I think if we do go for the vRS we'll just order the colour and spec - Race Blue, rear parking sensors, heated seats, leather, silver roof rails, sunset glass etc.

On the options, any opinions on must-have options? I'm undecided on Maxidot and MDI, and also the spare wheel.

Also, still debating whether to go for the new vRS or a 2nd hand 3 series touring - probably a 325i M Sport, or 330i if I can find one for the right price ... anyone had or driven both as a comparison?

cheers,

andy

I'm changing from a 330d touring to a vRS estate. My initial reservations were that the vRS would feel underpowered and would not compare in any way to the 330d. I have to say, I was wrong. My BMW is a yr 2000 W-Reg but being a BMW diesel the engine can go on for ever. The vRS is able to deliver just as much torque and acceleration, is bigger in the cabin and boot, more economical and just as fun to drive. The only difference is the BMW being rear wheel drive, however thats no an issue in the vRS when its damp as it means you don't have the back end wanting to fly out.

i will however miss the BMW wanting to keep laying down rubber under the rear wheels when you accelerate, it just wants to eat up the road!

BTW, another question ... the 2.0 TFSI engine in the latest vRS - is it different to the pre-facelift 2.0 TFSI?

All the reviews I have seen say it's the same engine, and the brochure quotes the same 200bhp ...

but the salesman at Henrys yesterday told me it's a new engine, and actually puts out nearer 215bhp ... is that ******?

I'm pretty sure the facelift model has the newer Golf TSI engine. At least that is what is states on the engine label itself. However I do not believe (but could be wrong) the output has increased to the level of the Golf gti and bhp remains at 200. Obviously a quick ECU upgrade can take power to around 250bhp very easily...

Oh, and my previous car was a BMW 335D, got to say the space in the Octavia specially boot is bigger. However performance wise its hard to compare the two; The Octavia performs extremely well especially considering the money..... If you need extra space over the 130i you may be disappointed in the 3 series in the longer term.

Terry

Edited by Terry Collins

I'm pretty sure the facelift model has the newer Golf TSI engine.

Yes definitely the case......it's the new chain driven engine, EA888.......Skoda use engine id CCZA............Blimey I sound like a right geek! lol

Oh yeah and the yanks reckon it's one of the best engines in the world (won international engine of the year award last year) which was another thing that sold me on the petrol!

Edited by adder

Yes definitely the case......it's the new chain driven engine, EA888.......Skoda use engine id CCZA............Blimey I sound like a right geek! lol

Oh yeah and the yanks reckon it's one of the best engines in the world (won international engine of the year award last year) which was another thing that sold me on the petrol!

And the power output is................... still 200bhp or upped to 215bhp?

I've driven both a 3 series touring and an Octavia estate. No comparison in bootspace terms - Octavia everytime. The Octy is fwd whereas the BMW is rear and what fun folks have had this winter with their Beemers....and as you live in Greenock, that's another reason probably not to have one, although I did like the 335's engine and power.

I've driven both a 3 series touring and an Octavia estate. No comparison in bootspace terms - Octavia everytime. The Octy is fwd whereas the BMW is rear and what fun folks have had this winter with their Beemers....and as you live in Greenock, that's another reason probably not to have one, although I did like the 335's engine and power.

Not quite sure what you mean by " as you live in Greenock, that's another reason probably not to have one" ?

I haven't had a FWD car since the mid '90s when I had a 306Xsi ... since then I've had a 200sx, 2 Imprezas, an Audi S4, an M3, and currently a Boxster and BMW 130i, so I'm more than happy having rear wheel drive and living in Greenock. Actually, it's the fact the vRS is FWD that's probably the biggest negative for me ... if it was RWD, I would already have one ordered!

I haven't driven a vRS yet ... only read the many good reviews in mags like Evo and Performance Car and on the web, but I can't help thinking the reviews are comparing it against other FWD hot-hatch type cars, and that being used to RWD and 4WD I'll find it a disappointment.

Actually, we had a Passat TDi (prev shape) about 5 years ago. It lasted about 6 months before we swapped it for another scooby ... it was so bad, it's really put me off both FWD and diesel engines ever since, so I'm wary of making that mistake again.

However, this will be the family car and given our budget, compromises will have to be made - at least I'll still have the Boxster for fun!

Only thing i'd say about the octy reviews is it seems to be the done thing just now to come out fighting for the skoda as an idol of sensibility. It's an undeniably good car, but there are bad points too that haven't made it into ANY review i've read. It just seems to be a cool thing to do among the reporters just now to come over all positive about the Skoda while constantly raising the badge issue. Just found it a bit frustrating when i was trying to find a balanced review.

The Octy definately doesn't even come close to driving like a RWD, but with a previous cars list like that i'm just an altar boy preaching to the arch bishop! :giggle: You're a very lucky man!

The rear anti roll bar can be beefed up for some oversteer antics. But it would never accelerate anywhere near as enthusiastically as a BMW or RWD in general. There's no squatting down at the back and none of that surging feeling going into your hips to propel you forward :thumbdown:

You're fortunate though, the Boxster is supposedly (i've never driven one) one of the most poised, balanced, composed while eager cars you can buy. You could even afford to go as low as a Skoda for your runaround with a primary car of that calibre!! Oh wait... :p

p.s. on the talk of winter with RWD, cold weather tyres means depth of snow will become an issue before loss of traction, speaking from experience this winter.