New vRS Estate or 09 Passat 2.0TFSI Estate

Hi All,

As mentioned in another thread, I've just joined as considering buying a new vRS Estate TFSi ... which looks like it will work out at around £18-19k with a few decent options.

Our local VW dealer has a delivery mileage 09 Passat Sport 2.0T estate for £14495, which seems a very good buy!

Any thoughts on how the Passat compares to the vRS, and also which would make the better buy?

cheers,

Andy

Hi All,

As mentioned in another thread, I've just joined as considering buying a new vRS Estate TFSi ... which looks like it will work out at around £18-19k with a few decent options.

Our local VW dealer has a delivery mileage 09 Passat Sport 2.0T estate for £14495, which seems a very good buy!

Any thoughts on how the Passat compares to the vRS, and also which would make the better buy?

cheers,

Andy

If the specs suit you... get the VW!

I don't know if the sport spec varies for the petrol, I looked at a Passat Sport TDI 170 and didn't think very much of it - the spec seemed spartan compared to the vrs and the handling isn't meant to be up to much either. Then again it depends what you want, the Passat is obviously larger and I'd expect a better cruiser.

John

Andy,

I have access to a Passatt 2.0T Sport as a company car and I have just bought a new Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI estate for myself so I guess I am in quite a good position to assist you......The Passatt is a fine car, well made and the 2.0T engine is a peach (same unit as the VRS) It is however quite a bit bigger than the Octavia and is therefore a bit thirsty, the average mpg for my works car is less than 30mpg.....The Passatt is now looking quite dated and I believe a new model is due imminently. The facelift Octavia however is fresh, and in my opinion, knocks spots off the looks of the Passatt, also standard kit on the VRS is better, cruise control, half leather seats, touch screen radio.....I certainly considered the Passatt before chosing the Octavia but as I wanted a brand new car there was just no contest, a similar speced Passatt would have cost me at least another 5k....At the end of the day you would be happy i'm sure with both vehicles, but if it were me the lure of a brand new car would be too much to resist....I opted for the Octavia and I dont regret it one bit.

I had the 170 CR Passat Estate for a bit and loved it. It was quieter than my own 170 vRS and was nice to drive. Maybe it was because it had done more mileage than mine but I'd definitely give it some thought. I think my CR is noisier than the VW, but nowhere near as noisy as the Skoda PD140 I had before.

Why would you want to buy a boring car when you can have a real motor my advice if the money is not a major issue join the cult tou will not reget it :p

All hail to the VRS, which is a fantastic car but in my view there can't be a comparison with a Passat which is far from being boring....the price for that seems to be very reasonable so I for one would definitely go for the Passat...how much is the "delivery mileage", anyway?

Edited by Octavia1Z

i've driven the passat TFSI - thought was very dull compmpared to the octy, it feels a bigger car and is certianly less agile.

Also i'd guess the passat you're talking about has the older TFSI vs the new TSI in the facelift.

Have you speced the vRS on drivethedeal? My Octy was quite well spec'd and only came to £!6.5k :)

Having had the vRS TFSi Estate and a Passat Sport Saloon PD170 id say go for the passat, it does feel a bigger car but its very competent and a lovely car to be sat in. Very easy to hold sideways if your into a bit of lift off oversteer too :giggle:

I would have thought with a boxter and a 130i already that car economics can't be that important to you - but I'm guessing?

Vrs is a more exciting drive than the passat, but what do you intend to use the car for ?

Cheers.