Brand new Superb knocking

I have a brand new Superb S TDi which I love. It will soon be my replacement can... just want to drive it around for a few weeks to savour that new smell :rofl:

Currently on around 400 miles. My only "problem" with it is that there can be a hint of a knocking somewhere when taking up from 1st gear which I noticed immediately.

This can be avoiding if you "balance" the clutch and accelerator.

Anyone else experienced this problem.

Also, airbag warning light is on but this was probably my fault as I had the glove box out to route meter/radio power cables through from battery to inside and had to disconnect the airbag cable from the passenger on/off switch. Although its reconnected the main airbag light is on.

Will take back to dealer next week. :(

i have the same car.its 4 weeks old now and from second week on i have noticed a shudder on the biting point when starting off in first gear.something is definately not right.i have heard taxi drivers talking about clutches on this model having to be replaced at around 18,000 miles.im no mechanic but a brand new car should not be doing this.it seems to be intermittent which is a bit odd..drivers electric window doesnt work properly either and dash lights seem to brighten up and dim down automatically.not a great start for such a hyped up car

Yep.. it will be going back to the dealer in a few days..... Im in Brighton & I bought it in Eastbourne so it has to be planned.

Interesting to hear about your issues Charlie... Strangley, my current cab (2003) with some 260,000 miles seems a lot smoother when pulling away. Has had three flywheels over the years!

It is only on occassions that I get this kind of knock though.

I have a 6 month old superb elegance for my taxi in hereford. Also had the old shape superb before which was a 130bhp with a remap by oscarli. My old shape did 240k before I changed the clutch and even then I only did it cos it was having a cambelt and thought better safe than sorry. It didn't need a flywheel either, I'd had this since it had 9k on it so I know it hadn't had one before. My current car has now done 42k and I love it. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Did you have any trouble fitting meter? Everywhere here tells you it will need a canbus box and charges accoringly! It doesn't, just a bit of a con going on or lack of knowledge I think.

Havent had the meter fitted as it is not becoming a taxi for a two or three weeks so I dont know if it needs a CAN bus translator. I dont believe if my existing Superb had one fitted.

You did very well not needing a clutch up tp 240,000 miles! Or even a flywheel. Mind you, I have long suspected my day driver is not as careful as me :rofl:

Don't let them tell you it does, from memory it's pin 19 on the back of the dash cluster but may need to check that. There's nothing there at present, it just needs i wire in that terminal.

My sister lives in brighton so will have to tell her to keep an eye out for best taxi in town :) . She did did get in a brand new superb a while ago, driver was telling her how he'd just had the door smashed in by kids with a catapult! :o:o

Also, airbag warning light is on but this was probably my fault as I had the glove box out to route meter/radio power cables through from battery to inside and had to disconnect the airbag cable from the passenger on/off switch. Although its reconnected the main airbag light is on.

Will take back to dealer next week. :(

Yes you will need either the dealer or someone with VCDS to turn the airbag light off, they come on (and stop on) if they have been disconnected and the ignition is turned on.

Don't let them tell you it does, from memory it's pin 19 on the back of the dash cluster but may need to check that. There's nothing there at present, it just needs i wire in that terminal.

My sister lives in brighton so will have to tell her to keep an eye out for best taxi in town :) . She did did get in a brand new superb a while ago, driver was telling her how he'd just had the door smashed in by kids with a catapult! :o:o

Ok.. thanks for that.... much appreciated,

Yes you will need either the dealer or someone with VCDS to turn the airbag light off, they come on (and stop on) if they have been disconnected and the ignition is turned on.

Thanks for that..

Airbag light sorted. Clutch tested and report to be fine. I think the knocking as such is a little vibration... will keep an eye on it.

Ben...... Been to local meter fitter (Radio Relay) and confirmed that no Can Bus translator is needed.

Airbag light sorted. Clutch tested and report to be fine. I think the knocking as such is a little vibration... will keep an eye on it.

Ben...... Been to local meter fitter (Radio Relay) and confirmed that no Can Bus translator is needed.

i have a white skoda superb aswell its is a candy white i have also had problems with the clutch but when i took it bk to the dealers they said there was nothig up with it but when you press the clutch halfway it starts to mk a noise other than that not had any probs with it had it 6mths done 20000mls great car will defo buy another 1 :thumbup: .never a big skoda fan but im dofo 1 now other car fiesta st

Did you have any trouble fitting meter? Everywhere here tells you it will need a canbus box and charges accoringly! It doesn't, just a bit of a con going on or lack of knowledge I think.

Didnt need a Cambus... it was wired straight in. :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Without a CanBus box it will work perfectly OK as long as you remember to switch the meter OFF when the car is not being used, the CanBus box will I believe if told that it is controlling a non-essentail circuit, switch the meter OFF when the ignition key is removed after a pre set period of time in the same fashion as the radio will etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Without a CanBus box it will work perfectly OK as long as you remember to switch the meter OFF when the car is not being used, the CanBus box will I believe if told that it is controlling a non-essentail circuit, switch the meter OFF when the ignition key is removed after a pre set period of time in the same fashion as the radio will etc.

To follow up on this I had a Cynus MR400 meter fitted without the need for a canbus and the meter works fine regardless when the car is not being used. The taxi can be left with the meter on for ever and will not be switched off by the Skoda circuitry.

To follow up on this I had a Cynus MR400 meter fitted without the need for a canbus and the meter works fine regardless when the car is not being used. The taxi can be left with the meter on for ever and will not be switched off by the Skoda circuitry.

If you are on calender control, I advise you to get shot of the meter for a newer one soon, the Cygnus is an excellent meter, but there are 3 models that will become obselete soon, or so my meter guy told me anyway, I use a an Aquilla now, had it for 3 years now and it's great, it's made by the guy who designed the Cygnus anyway, he set his own company up.

If you should ever need a canbus box, Halfords do one for £59 which is a whole lot cheaper than the £150 the meter fitter wanted to supply and fit, and also this one is ideal if you upgrade the hifi, as it's got dimmer and speed control as well as pulse and on/off functions.

With anything electrical, either don't unplug it, or disconnect the battery or you will get warning lights, and when you put the battery back on, there is a chance that you will get a steering fault light, but this goes after a couple of turns of the wheel up a short road, well if it's the same as a Passat anyway.

As for the clutch, that will probably be the DMF doing it, sadly this part is a duffer in all modern cars, and once you go past 3yrs or 60k I advise you source a solid one next time it's required.

An update on the original "Knocking" in May.

The cab has now done 14,000 miles and all through that time starting off in 1st gear had to be done very consciously..... as there the uptake has never been smooth.

I did report this when the car had only covered 400 miles but the dealer (Birchwood Eastbourne) couldnt fault it.

However, I have now taken it to my local service agent as it has become progressively worse..... Rivervale in Portslade very close to me.... and they have confirmed that it needs a new flywheel and clutch. I did suggest to them on the phone that they should replace with a solid flywheel but all I got back was that they could only do what Skoda tells them to do.

Getting the cab back today to work and then it goes in on Thursday.

Edited by Andyp

:sun: So... just a re-cap.....I bought a new Skoda Superb in May and within 400 I had taken the car back to the dealer (not local) as I thought there was a problem with the clutch as I couldnt get a perfect upatake in 1st gear. Having had a couple of skoda's previously I was aware of the Dual Mass Flywheel problem. But... this is a new car.

So... to get a smooth 1st gear uptake has needed a very conscious accelerator/clutch transition.... but this has got progessively worse over the months and having now covered 14,000 decided to take the cab into my local Skoda service agent .... and was told it needs a new clutch & flywheel........... I knew there was something wrong :wonder:

Should have taken it back sooner but it is absolutely perfect now.. just as it should be. :rofl:

And of course all under warrenty.