Just wondered what peoples views were on use of gears for safety/ speed. Doing a mock IAM test the other day I was told I had a great drive but that he would have failed me for use of gears. The explanation centered on being in too high a gear.

For example in some 40mph zones I would use 5th the observer said I should be in forth and that at other times/ hazards he wanted to see second with around 3k rpm +. From my point of view I tried to explain that 4th in mine at 40 puts me at about 2.2k rpm where as I can comfortably use 5th at 2k rpm with still enough flexibility to accelerate or slow using the accelerator alone as peak torque is at 3k but you can feel it kick it around 2k mark. Also in a 30 I will use 3rd if it is a busy road with parked cars, blind bends etc however if it is a flat clear road with a good view I will change to 4th as the engine spins at about 2.2k rpm in 3rd and has a three cylinder whine which can be annoying. Maybe its just a habit I've got into but for my car there really doesn't seem much point in revving beyond 3k as there is little to be gained and the engine noise is really high.

With having the same observer for all mock tests I will use lower gears as on the test but just curious as have had other observers who have never mentioned the use of a high gear at 40.

Any thoughts?

David

There are a lot of us who disagree with the IAM's "drive in a low gear at all times" method. I've said it before, but there are aspects of every "advanced driving method" I know a bit about that I disagree with.

Just some thoughts...

1. At 3000 RPM you are able to engine brake and speed up - car in the middle of the powerband.

2. At low revs the car will not take you out of an emergency as quickly as if the revs were up.

3. People want to get into high gears as soon as possible for reasons of economy (often false due to engine labouring) so keeping in a lower gear keeps you in control of the car better.

Not that I support IAM's ideas, but just giving some suggestions. I like 2000 RPM for diesel and 2500 RPM for petrol as a steady cruise personaly.

TH

With having the same observer for all mock tests I will use lower gears as on the test but just curious as have had other observers who have never mentioned the use of a high gear at 40. Any thoughts?

If you don't agree with it, get a second opinion ;) It may be that the observer was concerned you weren't making the most of the gearbox and engine, rather than being in the wrong gear for x mph.

It's been a while since I've driven the 3-cylinder diesel, but I don't recall ever using 5th for 40mph or below as it didn't offer any engine braking, whereas 4th gave both the punch and engine braking without the revs being much higher. Similarly, I think 4th was fairly good for 30mph too. However, try and link the gear selection in with IPSGA (ie you've set the correct speed for the conditions/hazard and need to then take the correct gear for that speed) rather than living by rules.

Chris

Edited by ScoobyChris

Thanks for the replies, it was the 1.2 petrol. Have been experimenting with the gears today and think it is trying to link it more with the IPSGA so in some instances a lower gear is necessary given the speed and hazards e.g. where in an area with lots of potential hazards such as parked cars a low gear gives more flexibility where as a clear straight road with fewer potential hazards may allow a higher gear.

I think I've hit a mental block at the moment when it comes to trying to adjust my though process and driving just trying to get past that hurdle.

Edited by Fabia00

No idea why I thought you had a diesel - must be all this talk of driving at low revs :blush:

Not sure where you are in the country, but if you're in the Hants/Wilts/Berks area, I'll happily meet up and see if I can help :D

Chris

Thanks for the offer Chris unfortunately I'm in the Sheffield area so it would be a bit of a trek, going to see if I can get an extra few drives with one of the other observers who seemed really helpful before.

David

Sheffield is a good distance, although I've had (crazy) people travel from further :rofl:

Always good to get opinions from other observers and hopefully you'll get some sound advice. If you want to put them on the spot and test their own advice, you can always get them DayInsured to drive your car ;)

Btw, TaviaRS (on here) is fairly local to you as well and may also be able to help out.

Chris

Lol, my Uncle lives not a million miles away from that area so if I'm down I will have to let you know.

Good idea to get them on a day insurance will have to look into that although one of the instructors did say next session he would take me for a drive in his car while he did commentary on what he was doing which I think will be helpful. Think I'm getting the hang of the system a bit better been practicing all week following the IPSGA in most situations especially country lanes and junctions, have noticed when I get it right it is a lot easier to deal with situations allowing me to concentrate more on the hazard as the car is already set up to deal with it.

David

Have to say I struggle with the concept of a 1.2 3 cylinder petrol engine that'd be happy in 5th at 40 mph ... how many revs is it doing under those conditions?

5th puts it at 2000 rpm as final ratio puts the revs at half the speed e.g. 50th in 5th is 2500 rpm, 60 is 3000 revs etc. Understand that it seems low but when driving it it seems to pull fine at that sort of level. Though can understand that the lower gear gives more flexibility in certain situations and have been altering gear usage to that effect.

• 6 months later...
where in an area with lots of potential hazards such as parked cars a low gear gives more flexibility where as a clear straight road with fewer potential hazards may allow a higher gear

I'm not an advanced driver but share a similar sentiment. I tend to plan more along the lines of "probability of needing to accelerate". If I'm trundling along at 30mph, the limit's 30mph and I can see a good long way ahead, I'll use 5th because I have no need for any power. When I get to a busier area (say a town with parked cars), I'll usually be in 3rd for the same speed (or, of course, may slow down if appropriate).

• 4 months later...

A lot of IAM people seem to be far too hung up on the number attached to a gear ratio.

I did my IAM test in a Toyota Corolla T Sport. Which is very low geared, and has quite a high compression engine.

It was suggested that I should be using 3rd at 30 rather than 4th, but I explained that the car was more than happy to accelerate or decelerate in 4th. 4th would probably have been the equivalent of 3rd in, say, a 1.8 Focus anyway.

Unfortunately some people just have a very blinkered view on certain things and don't like it to be questioned!

• 3 weeks later...

I took my IAM test today and achieved F1rst status.

I used D whilst in towns and tiptronic whilst out of town. I was commended on my use of gears. Interestingly, when I have been playing, sorry practising, I was achieving about 35mpg. On the test today I achieved about 40mpg....I was using the gears, and sometimes lower than the car would have chosen had I let it....but overall I felt that I was on the correct gear all the time. I probably kept the car between 1,000 and 3,500rpm on the test.

The funny thing was the instructor, who is obviously a police class 1 driver and motorcyclist, had to be told that he was in a diesel, which is a big thumbs up to Ben at Shark Performance, as it drives like a petrol,( other than running out of go at 5000rpm.)

Have to say I struggle with the concept of a 1.2 3 cylinder petrol engine that'd be happy in 5th at 40 mph ... how many revs is it doing under those conditions?

We have an older 1.3 4 cylinder petrol engine that seems OK in 5th at 40 mph, so long as maintaining the speed on level or gently sloping roads is all that's asked of it. I'd expect a newish slightly smaller engine to have similar, if not better, torque and power. FWIW our engine would be a little below 2000 rpm in 5th at 40.

I'm driving an Alfa MiTo 1.3jtd start/stop at the moment as a courtesy car. It is gutless below 2000rpm, I will drive it around town in 3rd most of the time. As above if the road is level and 40mph speed limit you can use 5th.

The car is transformed if you use the Alfa DNA. Put it in dynamic more and the car feels like it has been remapped as the throttle response, steering and suspension are all modified. It is dull to drive in normal, but much more fun in dynamic. Not bothered with the all weather option as the weather is fine. Biggest bug bear with the car is I struggle to see out...