Suspension - Can't decide what to do

Hi all. I have been thinking of lowering my vrs and due to my first little one being on the way i don't have a huge budget.

My reasons for wanting to do this are firstly to improve handling slightly through the twisty fun stuff and also because she is sitting a little high after fitting 18's.

I want to stear clear of cheapcoilovers as my budget won't stretch to a nice weitec or KW set up. What are the thoughts on going for an ARB on the rear and fitting the H & R springs like the one's awesome sell, to my standard shocks? Would this meet what i am looking for do we think and has anyone else done similar?

Advice as always greatly appreciated :thumbup:

What are the thoughts on going for an ARB on the rear and fitting the H & R springs like the one's awesome sell, to my standard shocks?

Would this meet what i am looking for do we think and has anyone else done similar?

Rear ARB = 200% YES!!!

H&R lowering springs with OEM shocks = YES!!!

Another thing to consider would be the bushes, get some SuperPro polyurethane ones, these make it feel much 'tighter'.

Steve

Rear ARB = 200% YES!!!

H&R lowering springs with OEM shocks = YES!!!

Another thing to consider would be the bushes, get some SuperPro polyurethane ones, these make it feel much 'tighter'.

Steve

Cheers Steve. Was thinking of working my way through replacing bushes once i had done the springs and ARB if it was worth while :thumbup:

Cheers Steve. Was thinking of working my way through replacing bushes once i had done the springs and ARB if it was worth while :thumbup:

you should NEVER fit lowering springs with OEM SHOCKS they are only designed for standard springs and wont last long if lowered springs are fitted in them.

• Sponsor

As mentioned it is always best to get matched springs and shocks but the H&R springs do seem to work well with standard VRS dampers so depending on the miles covered you should be ok.

The rear ARB is a must and such a good addition.

Give us a shout if you'd like any more info or any prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

As mentioned it is always best to get matched springs and shocks but the H&R springs do seem to work well with standard VRS dampers so depending on the miles covered you should be ok.

The rear ARB is a must and such a good addition.

Give us a shout if you'd like any more info or any prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Cheers for that Damian. She is going into the body shop next week for some chip and car park scrtches to be sorted out. Once i have covered that i will give you a call and sort out what's going to work best :thumbup:

you should NEVER fit lowering springs with OEM SHOCKS they are only designed for standard springs and wont last long if lowered springs are fitted in them.

Uprated springs will reduce the amount the dampers move in bounce, and won't affect how much the body moves up in rebound over a crest, so what's this mechanism that increases damper wear then?

That said, if I couldn't afford both, I'd rather fit Koni FSDs to stock springs than lowering springs with stock dampers, because most standard suspensions are under-damped.

Uprated springs will reduce the amount the dampers move in bounce, and won't affect how much the body moves up in rebound over a crest, so what's this mechanism that increases damper wear then?

That said, if I couldn't afford both, I'd rather fit Koni FSDs to stock springs than lowering springs with stock dampers, because most standard suspensions are under-damped.

But Koni FSDs are £600? at the moment?

• Sponsor

Cheers for that Damian. She is going into the body shop next week for some chip and car park scrtches to be sorted out. Once i have covered that i will give you a call and sort out what's going to work best :thumbup:

No problem, look forward to speaking to you :thumbup:

Damian @ DPM Performance

£450

If budget is tight, why consider a RARB as well??

Just get cheap coilies if budget is all that matters...

Trying to get the best i can for the budget i have. Had prob's in the past with cheap coilovers so i would not bother unless i could afford one of the decent set up's.

Trying to get the best i can for the budget i have. Had prob's in the past with cheap coilovers so i would not bother unless i could afford one of the decent set up's.

weitec hicon gt's are'nt mega money and are excellent ive just fitted them and many others have them too. just a thought compared with the fsd's :thumbup:

Ok, re-reading the original post, this strikes me:

RARB is extremely cost effective. By itself would improve handling for around £200. Bargain.

It won't, however, cure your tractor height problem.

The only way to sort that is to lower the suspension and in that regard your budget will have to go up. You say you can't afford Weitecs, so that leaves JOM coilies at around £350, or you could chance running H&R springs on the standard shocks for around £200.

Seems you'd be better off, either getting the JOM coilies to improve handling AND fix your height problem, or stretching to the £500 odd for Weitecs. Either way the RARB, whilst a great idea won't fix height, so seems to be out of the question.....?

Ok, re-reading the original post, this strikes me:

RARB is extremely cost effective. By itself would improve handling for around £200. Bargain.

It won't, however, cure your tractor height problem.

The only way to sort that is to lower the suspension and in that regard your budget will have to go up. You say you can't afford Weitecs, so that leaves JOM coilies at around £350, or you could chance running H&R springs on the standard shocks for around £200.

Seems you'd be better off, either getting the JOM coilies to improve handling AND fix your height problem, or stretching to the £500 odd for Weitecs. Either way the RARB, whilst a great idea won't fix height, so seems to be out of the question.....?

Having read the good advice which has been left. Think i am going to have to hold out for a bit longer and firstly go for the Weitecs. Then give it a couple of months and get the ARB. This sounds like it's gong to be the best set up and tick all the boxes.

Cheers for all the help guys :thumbup:

Having read the good advice which has been left. Think i am going to have to hold out for a bit longer and firstly go for the Weitecs. Then give it a couple of months and get the ARB. This sounds like it's gong to be the best set up and tick all the boxes.

Cheers for all the help guys :thumbup:

Very wise :)