She's a Rattler!

octy888

I agree, all cars make the odd noise. Our other car does it but its acceptable.

However the rattles in our Yeti are far from acceptable, being numerous and annoying and occurring at such a low mileage. I agree a single rattle wouldn't make me dislike a car, but when you get 5 (minimum - they are hard to count) that can be somewhat tiresome and give the impression that the car is in fact junk.

I don't hate our Yeti, its the right vehicle for us. Its just a pity Skoda didn't build it properly.

Shrub you talk about people being angry with themselves - the anger I'm sure is towards Skoda, certainly is for me. I'd love you to drive my Yeti (I know you're not too far away) and get your reaction as to whether it is 'junk' or not.

And for those who are new to Yeti ownership - let me say ours was silent for the first 1000 miles or so........something for you guys to look forwards to maybe!

Well our piece of junk (great car it is otherwise) is at the dealer Monday, D-day, will let you all know how we get on.

It wasn't you that I had in mind when I made that comment Octy. I should have used a different example than a rattle but I didn't want to re-open the old snow chain can of worms again. Hope that they get it sorted it for you.:thumbup:

Edited by shrub

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'RATTLEBUSTER makes irritating car rattles a thing of the past"

A revolutionary car tool is set to take the motoring world by storm by helping to eliminate a problem that drives millions of motorists mad.

RattleBuster is a simple to use, affordable, safe and effective way of pinpointing infuriating car interior rattles, vibrations and buzzes - the first step to fixing the problem and once again enjoying a frustration-free drive.

This innovative product is the result of three years of painstaking research by acoustic and automotive experts who worked together to find a solution to a common yet difficult to solve problem.

It doesn’t matter if the car is new or old, expensive or inexpensive, most drivers have experienced mystery rattles and it can be teeth-grindingly irritating to be forced to listen to a non-stop jarring noise.

Many factors can cause an annoying rattle or vibration. Loose interior trim, grommets, screws, trim-clips, tie-clips, poorly-fitted after-market accessories: satellite navigation systems, hands-free phone kits, I-Pod audio adapter kits, tracker devices and so on, are all common offenders

Motorists are often so infuriated that they resort to hunting for a rattle whilst driving, which of course is extremely dangerous and possibly fatal!

Drivers can waste hours looking for the mystery noise and a dealer or mechanic may give the car a thorough investigation yet still miss the true source.

RattleBuster offers an affordable and easy-to-use solution to this problem. It takes the form of an audio CD comprised of five digital Power-Tones (each four minutes in length) developed in a professional studio. Each tone mimics a different type of road vibration and is played in a stationary vehicle with the engine off.

The driver is then free to move around the vehicle enabling them to listen for and pin-point the rattle, vibration or dashboard buzz.

By altering the exact amount of vibration generated, using the bass, volume and fade controls on the CD player, the vibration can be induced and located, allowing the motorist to take either steps to fix the problem themselves or be able to easily reproduce the rattle to the supplying car dealer in order to fix.

Despite helping to eliminate interior buzzing, RattleBuster is creating a big buzz in the car accessories market, wowing test panels and selling over a thousand units in test sales.

The amazing thing is this groundbreaking product costs just £9.95 plus post and packaging.

For more information log on at www.rattlebuster.com

BTW although I have no rattles on my new Freelander and I found this when searching for "Rattles and Freelander"

Is it possible the article originated from an April 1st post?

A quick Google confirms this was no April fool. However, the url mentioned is now innactive so maybe they were not terribly successful.

My yeti is a demo and does not have any rattles or squeaks as yet, maybe there is separate production line for demos, I would assume that a stealer would have to do what ever to make sure his sales tools would be rattle and squeak less, Happy with my purchase ,but even now I still find find you tend to have to defend the Skoda brand from the badge snobs which profligate in the uk. I have had many cars, and when moving on from my Fabia did not consider any other brand . Boring or what ?

Edited by mellyboy

Got car back today.

Verdict......not silent but a whole lot better, to an acceptable level I would say. Just have to see now if it lasts and stays that way on the hotter days - it got worse with heat..... :wonder:

Had a Fabia, 60bhp courtesy car - great little revvy motor if a little gruff when revved. Liked it, was nice to get back into the relative luxury of the Yeti though.

Got car back today.

Verdict......not silent but a whole lot better, to an acceptable level I would say. Just have to see now if it lasts and stays that way on the hotter days - it got worse with heat..... :wonder:

Had a Fabia, 60bhp courtesy car - great little revvy motor if a little gruff when revved. Liked it, was nice to get back into the relative luxury of the Yeti though.

pleased that things have much improved after the dealer visit :)

My son has an early Fabia I HTP (54) Classic as he's a learner driver; can agree with your review of the loan car. I quite enjoy the challenge of driving this 'little scoot' on the cross country run to work, like chalk and cheese in comparison to the Monster but at least the seat is more comfy for my not so well back at the moment :giggle:

Regards,

TP

Got car back today.

Verdict......not silent but a whole lot better, to an acceptable level I would say. Just have to see now if it lasts and stays that way on the hotter days - it got worse with heat..... emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Glad to hear you've got a result. emoticon-0148-yes.gif Let's hope it stays acceptable.emoticon-0100-smile.gif

BACK WITH VENGEANCE! :swear:

Nice warm weather and our rattles return with gusto. :thumbdown:

Like I said one chance.....traded in the POS today. B)

Such a shame as Skoda has lost a customer, not only this car but when our other car was due to for change (currently a BMW) that was going to be a Superb - not now. :doh:

Never mind, guys and gals I wish you all the best with your Yeti's, cracking vehicles that they are. :wonder:

For your information we have gone for a Subaru. If any one reading this sees a red Yeti, 1.8TSi for sale in the midlands area my advice is to stay at barge pole length distance from same! :wall:

Bye all to possibly the nicest online community of any car brand. :clap:

Edited by octy888

BACK WITH VENGEANCE! emoticon-0183-swear.gif

Nice warm weather and our rattles return with gusto. emoticon-0149-no.gif

Like I said one chance.....traded in the POS today. emoticon-0103-cool.gif

Such a shame as Skoda has lost a customer, not only this car but when our other car was due to for change (currently a BMW) that was going to be a Superb - not now. emoticon-0120-doh.gif

Never mind, guys and gals I wish you all the best with your Yeti's, cracking vehicles that they are. emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

For your information we have gone for a Subaru. If any one reading this sees a red Yeti, 1.8TSi for sale in the midlands area my advice is to stay at barge pole length distance from same! emoticon-0179-headbang.gif

Bye all to possibly the nicest online community of any car brand. emoticon-0137-clapping.gif

Very sorry to hear the news Octy emoticon-0106-crying.gif Such a shame you got such rotten luck with your monster. Anyway, hope you have a much better experience with your Subaru. All the best! emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Good luck with your Subaru Octy.

I would advise anyone who has interior rattles, creaks, squeaks and the like to lubricate their rubber door seals. I have for all four doors and the car is silent as a result. The Yeti does have a lot of heavy duty seals on and around the doors and the noises they make do mimic trim noises. A little lube on the seals and you might not end up angry with your SM. You may be convinced it is your dash (and some noises will be) but the noises travel and you might be surprised by the difference it makes.

Good luck with your Subaru Octy.

I would advise anyone who has interior rattles, creaks, squeaks and the like to lubricate their rubber door seals. I have for all four doors and the car is silent as a result. The Yeti does have a lot of heavy duty seals on and around the doors and the noises they make do mimic trim noises. A little lube on the seals and you might not end up angry with your SM. You may be convinced it is your dash (and some noises will be) but the noises travel and you might be surprised by the difference it makes.

Thanks for the advice shrub emoticon-0148-yes.gif , I think I'll get some stuff for mine. I know there was a thread about this elsewhere but what seal lubricant would you recommend?

Oh Dear :'( :'( Octy that is very sad and shocking news :o

Just got back from sunny Wales and poor Hettie will never see Patsy in Pembrokeshire now :heartbreak:

It is such a shame that you had such problems especially when you both liked the Yeti so much...

... but all best wishes that you have better luck with your Subaru :thumbup: and hope you have as much fun on the Subaru forums- presume there is one!?

Lady Penelope and Parker :sun:

Edited by Lady Penelope

good luck Octy888 with the change. Subaru cars are excellent, if a little thirsty, idiosyncratic like the Yeti and with great performance. Hope it works out for you. Sorry the Yeti exoperiernce was sullied by the rattles.

I have to say that mine, now over 5000 miles in 6 weeks, has been the pinnacle of perfection, and apart from a little biit of dealer added trim falling off somewhere in the wilds of Scotland I have had nothing, just nothing to grumble about at all.

Oh - stuff slides about on the seats and in the boot - but that is probably the fact that the YETI has this brilliant chuck-it-about-ness that unleashes the hooligan in me!

And I echo your sentiments about this forum (and I understand that it is peculiar to the YETI forum) being such a matey supportive happy(ish!!) place, where except for one sad spat with a couple of mods, all has been really enjoyable.

Good luck withe the new one - and sin't that one of the few good bits about the car industry - that you CAN part-ex a car you dislike? You can't do that with a duff telly, for example!!

BACK WITH VENGEANCE! :swear:

Nice warm weather and our rattles return with gusto. :thumbdown:

Like I said one chance.....traded in the POS today. B)

Such a shame as Skoda has lost a customer, not only this car but when our other car was due to for change (currently a BMW) that was going to be a Superb - not now. :doh:

Never mind, guys and gals I wish you all the best with your Yeti's, cracking vehicles that they are. :wonder:

For your information we have gone for a Subaru. If any one reading this sees a red Yeti, 1.8TSi for sale in the midlands area my advice is to stay at barge pole length distance from same! :wall:

Bye all to possibly the nicest online community of any car brand. :clap:

Just for reference Subaru's rattle - The Forrester I have has a dash squeak - piece if 1mm plastic wedged in has stopped it, Dash cubby box creaks (tissue jammed in for that one) Facia panel beside keys creaks - more wedges.

back seat creeks as body twists (only when in the field) Other wise nice piece of kit.

Just for reference Subaru's rattle - The Forrester I have has a dash squeak - piece if 1mm plastic wedged in has stopped it, Dash cubby box creaks (tissue jammed in for that one) Facia panel beside keys creaks - more wedges.

back seat creeks as body twists (only when in the field) Other wise nice piece of kit.

Oh dear John!

Please don't let Octy get a Subaru that rattles :o :no: I don't think he could bear it :'(

Glad yours is sorted in a fashion!! :giggle: Not sure though how long the tissue will last!! :rofl:

Lady Penelope :sun:

Hope your new wheels are up to expectations in the rattle dept , have you prior knowledge that a Subaru will not have similar problem, some times better the" Devil you Know "

Our Subaru Forester had a rattle from the instrument binnacle plus a rainwater leak on the drivers side window (frameless), neither of which the dealer could fix :( In fact, we've only had two cars within the last few years that didn't rattle - a Renault Megane, and our Yeti. I'm convinced that it's just luck, and I normally wait 6 months before getting rattles fixed because most seem to go away eventually anyway. I've had more problems caused by dealers trying to fix rattles.

Edited by tarbat

I've had more rattles caused by dealers trying to fix rattles.

Indeed. Try as they might, but a dealer can't put something back to the same tolerances as a factory. So I'm in agreement with you here. Though touch wood I have never ever owned a car that rattled.

Thanks for the advice shrub emoticon-0148-yes.gif , I think I'll get some stuff for mine. I know there was a thread about this elsewhere but what seal lubricant would you recommend?

I cleaned all of the inner painted door surfaces and then rubbed Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care into all of the rubber surfaces. This is ok but not the best lubricant, however, and only provides a temporary fix. There is a grease available that is used within the trade as a miracle cure all to stop noises from rubber seals and other surfaces. It is manufactured by Dupont and is called Krytox. I have not tried this yet and have read that it it fairly expensive. For those who are interested I have found the following link to the UK distributor:

http://www.ikvlubricants.com/krytox.htm

I believe that it is used by VW, BMW and Audi to name a few and is popularly used on the seals for cars with a folding hard roof.

Happy Lubing,

Shrub.

Farewell Octy888, hope you don't live to regret your decision.

My snow monster lives under Oak trees and suffers the infamous 'tree sap' stickeyness this I have found causes the worst creaks I have ever encountered with a car. I shall certainly be trying some sort of seal lubricant. Oh and by the way the stickyness is not tree sap, according to our pest control man it's aphid excrement, apparantly the aphids consume the sap from the green shoots and leaves of the trees and excreet poo which has a high sugar content. :sick: I'm currently washing snowmonster every 2-3 days if left any longer the doors get stuck, the creaks do stop after washing though. :clap:

Thanks for all your good wishes.

Am I expecting the Subaru not to rattle - ofcourse not!

Am I having second thoughts.....yep......went out in the Yeti today (hot day - when the rattles are worse)......SILENCE!!!!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: A joy to drive......Yeti's have so much character. :love:

Thanks for all your good wishes.

Am I expecting the Subaru not to rattle - ofcourse not!

Am I having second thoughts.....yep......went out in the Yeti today (hot day - when the rattles are worse)......SILENCE!!!!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: A joy to drive......Yeti's have so much character. :love:

It's because he doesn't want to leave you and you've upset him by trading him in.:o