Arghhhhh!

I've had my Y reg 1.9 SDi Fabia estate from new and it's been a great car...until now.

A while back the PAS light came on and having read a few discussions, knew this was a common problem and took the attitude of I'll fix it when I get around to it - not overly concerned.

However, a week ago the speedo went and along with it the trip meter. Needless to say the fuel guage is less than accurate. Anyone point me in the right direction?

I'd like to get it sorted as next year I hope to pass it on to my daughter when she passes her test.

I've had my Y reg 1.9 SDi Fabia estate from new and it's been a great car...until now.

A while back the PAS light came on and having read a few discussions, knew this was a common problem and took the attitude of I'll fix it when I get around to it - not overly concerned.

However, a week ago the speedo went and along with it the trip meter. Needless to say the fuel guage is less than accurate. Anyone point me in the right direction?

I'd like to get it sorted as next year I hope to pass it on to my daughter when she passes her test.

I don't know what the fault is but you could find some one with vag com and plug it in and try to find out that way. :)

Thanks for the advice - I've already checked the connections to the sender unit and removed it for inspection - which seems visually ok (wouldn't know how to test it though). Trouble is I've read so many horror stories about the electrics failing in general that I'm loathe to buy a new sender unit only to find out that it's not the problem - not that I'm a tight wad or anything.

Could it be water ingress into the loom?

Polo1600i had something a bit like this recently and had to get part of the loom replaced. Apparently there's a specific loom that had revisions on the later models?

Cheers, thanks for that Rob. It does 'feel' like an electrical fault rather than the sensor packing in as in addition at low speeds the engine bounces as though it's got kangaroo fuel in it. I've also experienced the flickering headlights syndrome along with the infamous PAS light coming on - I'll check water ingress and take it from there...

Hmm... thanks for the posts guys - my car has been in the garage for the last week as the PAS decided to go - thought it was a sensor or the alternator charging wire or PAS pump but they cleaned some contacts ad got it workign again only for it to fail shortly after. It now has PAS and Airbag (IIRC) lights on so I'm beginning to wonder if it's water ingress into the loom...

More likely to be the Battery on it's last legs, Y reg. car, must be due for a change. I can still hear Moggytech in my ear from a previous thread about P.Steering problems. "It's the battery, It's the battery"

I'm inclined to agree with Soot1e mate.

Everythiing starts going bonkers when the battery has had it from what I've read in here.

If yours had been a diesel then it probably would have gone sooner as diesels bash the granny out of batteries.

If you are still on the original Battery, it may be time for a new one, sounds like it's had a good innings..

Well well...I've just had the battery tested and guess what?...its charge rate is 100% so that puts paid to the battery theorists!

Back to square one...

I'm inclined to agree with Soot1e mate.

Everythiing starts going bonkers when the battery has had it from what I've read in here.

If yours had been a diesel then it probably would have gone sooner as diesels bash the granny out of batteries.

If you are still on the original Battery, it may be time for a new one, sounds like it's had a good innings..

Erm diesels don't mate.

They take more at start, but have a bigger battery to deal with it. Once the car is started there is no spark to be drawing on the system.

Time to get under the car...ho hum! B@LL*cks to that it's glorious weather I'll go for a ride on my Harley instead...much more preferable

Edited by Rock god

Well decided to have another bash at it and not go out on my bike! -Took instrument pod out and gave it a good spraying with contact cleaner and removed speedo sensor to check it and did same...I'm totally flummoxed. What I did notice is when I put the key in the ignition and turned it (but not started it), the speedo needle moved so there is current there. I guess there's either a break in the wiring loom or I'll have to fork out for a sensor unit..hmmm

Edited by Rock god