Big brakes, just got even BIGGER!

Pretty much since Castle Coombe (April 24th) my car has been without its front brakes as I have been having some custom 360mm two piece discs and calliper brackets made up by CompBrake....these have taken a hell of a lot longer than originally stated by CompBrake, but in the interests of being fair I have to say they were well worth the wait!!!!

Having changed the OEM 17" wheels to 18" I decided to max these out, hence the new 360mm jobbies (previously had 335mm squeezed in behind the 17"s).

NEVER underestimate good brakes, a lot of people focus purely on going faster, speed is nothing without safety.

Pictures to follow - hope you like!

Steve :)

indeed a mighty disc :o

but i suppose you need all the help you can get in slowing down with 421 bhp under the hood :o;):thumbup:

Are your Fuel Lines on Tight ... :giggle: Sorry i couldn't resist... Perhaps you will need to fit a Neck Brace to stop you snapping it due to the sheer deceleration .... Can't wait for the Pics .. They should look disgustingly Nice ;)

Dean

Edited by dfullb

Guest westallc

:S :wonder:

castle coombe track day if you wasnt there then you wont know lol

fuel over engine very lucky boy springs to mind lol

get them pics up steve

I can lock the front wheels quite easily with the standard OEM discs and have never experienced brake fade in normal road driving and they don't need warming up before they work. ?

I understand that for track racing you need better / bigger brakes but how do they perform in normal driving on public roads ?

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

I can lock the front wheels quite easily with the standard OEM discs and have never experienced brake fade in normal road driving and they don't need warming up before they work. ?

I understand that for track racing you need better / bigger brakes but how do they perform in normal driving on public roads ?

until earlier 360mm would have shocked me. theres a guy on the gti forum who has just fitted B7 RS6 discs on his car. 390mm :o

what pads are you using??

castle coombe track day if you wasnt there then you wont know lol

fuel over engine very lucky boy springs to mind lol

get them pics up steve

It was all to do with the stopping Bit !!! Meaning on that Day he didn't need Big brakes to stop the Car .....

Can't see no Pics yet ... ;)

As for the Rs6 Disc's what are they on & what wheel size Etc...

Dean

Edited by dfullb

Normal driving around town they are fine, no different to the standard setup apart from the occasional squeel at very low speeds, it's only when you press on a bit you feel the difference!

what pads are you using??

Ferodo DS2500

Here's some pics then guys! Last picture shows a comparison against the 335mm discs I had on before. Ironically the bigger 360mm's weigh less than the smaller 335mm's!

Edited by Steevie Wonder

nice brakes steve .... were they expensive ? ( sorry i had to ask )

where did u get the bonnet lifters from :rofl:

I cant disclose what I paid...sorry. The 360mm kit is not what they normally do for the Golf mk.4 platform. I could've had 330mm or 350mm discs straight off the shelf, but I like to be awkward!!! After all bigger is (normally) better :giggle:

Bonnet lifters were off ebay, they are ok, but I have had to redo the ends where they locate on the bonnet! Here is a link to some which with a little modifying should fit. BONNET LIFTERS

Hope that helps.

Steve ;)

I cant disclose what I paid...sorry. The 360mm kit is not what they normally do for the Golf mk.4 platform. I could've had 330mm or 350mm discs straight off the shelf, but I like to be awkward!!! After all bigger is (normally) better :giggle:

Bonnet lifters were off ebay, they are ok, but I have had to redo the ends where they locate on the bonnet! Here is a link to some which with a little modifying should fit. BONNET LIFTERS

Hope that helps.

Steve ;)

no worries m8 .. didnt really expect u too :giggle:

il have a look at the lifters cheers