Automatic boot - Completed

Open tailgate, prop it open with a long piece of wood.

Look at the end of the strut, you'll see a metal clip.

On the tailgate end:

Gently, using a flat-blade screwdriver, lift the clip away and along.

That end should now pull free.

You can do the same at the other end, not essential, but might make it easier.

Using a pair of grips, clamp a cloth wrapped round the shaft.

Using another pair of grips, undo the "ball end" (normal turning action)

Ball end comes off

Spring goes on

Fitting is reverse of removal.

Repeat on the other side. ;)

10 minutes(ish)

Just done it Thank's

However it only open's half way.

Think i need some new strut's.

It works well on a hot day as the struts don't have to warm up the gas.

I did read something somewhere about using SEAT Exeo struts. However, "all the way" might be an issue in a low-roof car-park.

I read the part number off strut and put on ebay,keep's coming up with estate mine's a hatchback.

Different struts. The hatch's have to be a bit meatier because of all the extra glass on the tailgate.

It works well on a hot day as the struts don't have to warm up the gas.

I did read something somewhere about using SEAT Exeo struts. However, "all the way" might be an issue in a low-roof car-park.

It's been hot here today lol...low roof car park in Shropshire,no such thing...;)

I have copied the part number's off my strut's and there coming back as estate unit's.

Exactly like this video on youtube....This isnt my car

All that glass and a spoiler.......you'll need much much better struts.

I wouldn't call that a failure under those circumstances, the boot is in a much better position than OE spec.

• Like 1

Take it you haven't read through the whole thread... it doesn't work on the hatchback, too much weight!

Basically, you have a choice, you can either put struts in which have so much force that it's slightly worrying to shut because of the compression pressure (I put some Peugeot struts on my estate which flew the boot open enough to make it actually bounce at the top, but the closing force did NOT make me feel comfortable with it!!) AND, as just stated, it'll absolutely fly when it gets to the top cos it's now got these extra strong struts pushing it through the lightest bit of the range, OR you put underpowered ones on which won't do the above, BUT they won't have the force to get it through that mid-range part where they all seem to stop.

It's a simple weight problem, and I may be wrong, but unless it's powered like on Audis, etc. it's just not possible with sheer piston force. The estate is doable because it's a different range of movement and the boot is way lighter.

Sorry!

EDIT: having said that, you can still have it as in the video so you can get your fingers underneath to flip it up, but I'm almost positive that's as good as it gets; yet to see or hear of anyone being successful with a hatch.

Edited by blackspaven
  • Like 2

However, "all the way" might be an issue in a low-roof car-park.

How low are the ceilings in the car parks you visit?

You must have to stoop to walk in them if that low, no?

How low are the ceilings in the car parks you visit?

You must have to stoop to walk in them if that low, no?

You must be over 8 feet tall. The tailgate opens higher than the car, and I think the estate opens higher than the hatchback. Been in quite a few supermarket underground car-parks where there are low structures.......it only takes one, once, to put a dent in your pride and joy.

We had to take the roofrack off our company Kangoo to get it in the local Sainsburys, because it scraped on the height-bar on the way in.

Can you remember where? 

Did you even read my post... I'm trying to save your time, money and sanity?!

The Exeo struts were commented on this thread, so I can see you haven't gone through it at all otherwise you'd have seen, and they were for the estate, NOT the hatchback.

Edited by blackspaven
  • Like 1

Can you remember where? 

As Blackspaven said, it's in this thread somewhere, but for the estate, not the hatchback. Whether they would be any good on a hatchback?....I don't know, I only did this on the estate.

However, given that Briskoda is full of projects of "suck it and see", if you try this, you could let us all know.........

Yes, i haven't but seen as the first post was edited to COMPLETED with part number's it was a bit hard not to jump the gun.

My bad yes.But i'm happy with the result's given everyone else's trial and error...I will try some different strut's.

Unless you already know something not mentioned?

Just that I'm pretty sure there's no mention of anyone on this thread of managing it with a hatchback successfully, just too heavy. If you do, the amount of closed pressure would be phenomenal and personally I wouldn't want to risk the damage it would probably do long term to those tiny holes where the bolts are mounted onto! At your own risk fella.

The completed was for the estate.

Edited by blackspaven

Having a look back, we never found out if Radders got it to work on a HATCHBACK with the Laguna struts (suspect it might be by the slightly worrying force involved!!), but I said all along that regardless of which car it is, new struts, even new standard octy estate ones should work okay until they age a bit, THEN it's whether they carry on doing the business which is the key question and the reason why they all generally fail after a while? Unless you're minted and happy to buy new struts every year/six months! :D

I have banged my hatch tailgate into a localised low roof in Derby TU? car park. No damage fortunately. Also, in Sheffield, Atkinsons? I'd to hold it down to stop a similar incident. I think the standard set up is still very useful when you have handfuls of shopping.

Just that I'm pretty sure there's no mention of anyone on this thread of managing it with a hatchback successfully, just too heavy. If you do, the amount of closed pressure would be phenomenal and personally I wouldn't want to risk the damage it would probably do long term to those tiny holes where the bolts are mounted onto! At your own risk fella.

The completed was for the estate.

I have seen some websites you can actually buy custom gas struts made for purpose...Does anyone know how to measure force ect...Would it be too much.

I have seen some websites you can actually buy custom gas struts made for purpose...Does anyone know how to measure force ect...Would it be too much.

Don't think it's the force that's the issue, it's that you need something to give it the oomph to overcome the first part of the travel; the force of the strut carries it the rest of the way once you're going, similar to how it's a b1tch to push a car from standstill but once you've got your footing and it's rolled a few feet it suddenly becomes much, much easier as you have momentum.

Fyi, the Exeo estate ones used in Europe on Octy estates are 510nm. The Peugeot ones I tried earlier in the thread were something like 580-600, possibly 610nm and they made me feel very uncomfortable leaving them under tension when closed!

Attach a couple of these and all will be fine.......

rocket-flying-feature-380x285.png

....boot will open all the way easily. ;) ;)

do the hatchbacks share the same strut? As part number from mine comes back as a estate.

Could you only replace the one strut.maybe leaving a lazy one in there will slow it down.Then again it's load when shut is the problem.

Just thinking aloud here...