Automatic boot - Completed

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I have only just come across this topic, its of interest to me to avoid getting my hands dirty while operating the handle/switch to open the tailgate which is always covered in muck on my Estate, closing not so much a problem as I can pull it down fast using the interior dogbone handle.

However till reading this I did not know that a long push on the keyfob would open the tailgate so thats a result!

Nonetheless I want to play with the full auto opening, I have new struts from last year and they were as cheap as the ones linked to, I have just found that you can get the die springs cheap on E-bay, I used to be a press tool designer so know that the ones available were overpriced, here you have 5 for less than £8 delivered, you will need spares because they are being compressed beyond their design limits and will decrease in free length.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Indexa-Hlr-16X51-Red-Die-Spring-Heavy-Load-Pack-Of-5/142644293618?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

JR yes I feel your pain with the old muddy hands, one of the main reasons that bought me to this topic tbh! And hey everyday is a school day in relation to the long press of the boot key!!

Your other text in relation to die springs is unfortunately way over my head but hopefully someone will be along shorty to discuss further :)

In a nutshell the springs used to hopefully achieve auto-opening will soon lose their force because when the tailgate is closed they are compressed beyond their design limit and will not return to their original free length = not open the tailgate as far = not his the sweet spot where the gas struts will take over.

Lots of postings in the thread suggesting that the spring rate is affected in cold temperatures, absolute rubbish but the gas struts certainly are which is what they are seeing when the tailgate wont open fully without assistance on a cold morning.

• 1 month later...

As a follow up I found some seemingly suitable springs for a very good price on Ebay so gave them a try.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Indexa-Hlr-16X51-Red-Die-Spring-Heavy-Load-Pack-Of-5/142644293618?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They are brilliant, plenty of oomph in reserve but still not too difficult to close the tailgate, it works just fine with only one fitted but I thought it would be better to have the same load on both sides when the tailgate is closed.

I might remove one and try it for a while, my gas struts are 8 months old but the cheapest available from China so nothing powerfull, I expect these springs to last a long while because they dont seem to be overcompressing, time will tell.

A bargain, enough for 2 vehicles (my neighbour has the second set) and one spare if they weaken.

Editted:

I see they are now 33% cheaper than when I bought mine and was pleased with the price, 

Profitez-en!!!

Edited by J.R.

@Woo7dy & @ThomasP According to the spiel at least, there is a big difference in the 'eject force' (N) on those two (linked) gas struts.......

One with 110N and the other with 480N.............However , on mentioning this I would be surprised if there is much difference between them.

Would be interesting to know as a more powerful one (more pressured) would assist with the possibility of it auto opening, long term.

I am really appreciating the benefits of the auto opening especially when my hands are full with shopping bags and also to avoid getting them dirty operating the release handle.

Another benefit is that the tailgate now closes with a reassuring thunk and not a jarring clang as it did before despite all my adjustments, it was particularly bad when other people closed it when I was in the drivers seat, it was like a smack on the back of the head, people in general now with their modern crossovers or 4x4's have forgotten that a normal weight door can be closed gently and indeed for older cars should be.

I will not allow passengers to open or close the door on my Lotus Elan.

@J.R. Am i right in thinking that your tailgate only pushes up a little with these springs??? and not all the way.

I'm looking into springs for a different idea. How thick is the coil metal / wire, if you don't mind me asking?

The 16mm / 8mm so my guess would be 4mm wire. They look VERY strong.

Edited by Tilt

Yes, enough for the gas struts to take over.

They are very strong, they are die springs intended for press tools, they are not the strongest or weakest for the OD, ID and length, they are colour coded for the spring rate.

45 years ago I was a tool designer and its the first time I have used them since.

1 hour ago, Tilt said:

@J.R. Am i right in thinking that your tailgate only pushes up a little with these springs??? and not all the way.

55 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yes, enough for the gas struts to take over.

Sorry, i'm still not sure, seems a slight contradiction with the answer yes, to my question.

If it opens all the way then the new struts must be way better than older ones. I may have to invest.

Without the springs holding down the remote button will unlock and release the tailgate but it remains in the lower but now unlatched position, lifting it say 4" by hand and it will self open with the gas struts which I replaced 8 months ago.

With these springs it springs open and carries enough inertia that even the old struts would continue the motion, I can say this with confidence because it will self open with only one additional spring fitted.

Hope that is clear to you now.

• Thanks 1

I have to lift mine by a good amount before the struts even take the weight of the boot lid so i suspect new struts would be a must if i am going to achieve this myself.

On 06/03/2019 at 09:35, ThomasP said:

Have you fitted these yet Thomas?

If so, at what point / height do they begin to lift the tailgate on their own, ie, without your input???

Gap between bottom of tailgate to top of bumper measurement would be good.

Thanks.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 27/10/2021 at 00:28, kenzo81 said:

i tried with red ones it wont work.

I bought yellow an reds. Reds work.. only in the summer, when the gas is warm :)

I don't know about the blue ones..