Automatic boot - Completed

Yes I have to admit I have to use both hands and it is a bit of a positive close rather than just let go like it used to be. But i don't mind because I like to see the look on peoples faces when I press the button when it is raining and it just pops up while they are still fumbling trying to get into the boot of their car  :clap: .

• Like 1

Has anyone used the struts for a non VRS? I'm assuming the spoiler adds a fair bit more weight to the boot! Making it harder to close!?

I need to replace mine as they are a bit weak! Tempted to get these regardless whether the springs work or not!

Has anyone used the struts for a non VRS? I'm assuming the spoiler adds a fair bit more weight to the boot! Making it harder to close!?

I need to replace mine as they are a bit weak! Tempted to get these regardless whether the springs work or not!

I just fitted mine a week ago - the renault gas struts and the red springs... Worked fine a couple of days but now it's only every 2. time it pops open! And the boot was hard to close, but now it's a bit more easy... So I don't know if it's because the struts had to be used a couple of times to settle in or if it's the temp. outside - in Denmark its around 10 degrees celcius. The springs also seems a bit less "springy"?! Don't know the correct word for it in English ;) But when it's doesn't open I just have to push very slightly up with one finger, then it pops. So it's not much energy it needs...

Hope it helps!

Just to reiterate, these springs are called die springs and are NOT really intended for use the way we are using them for! Their designed usage is a slight rebound/suspension, thousands of times, not a large compression, this is more than likely why they're not working so well after more than a few times as they're not really meant to be used this way. Ambient temperature does play a big part of how well they work by the look of things.

Bummer.

I'm quite sure it will work, the gas springs are really strong and they really need little help from the extra springs.

You might need a stronger and longer 'pop' from the springs due to the added weight, so perhaps a longer spring is wise. There is about 40mm space for the compressed spring on these Laguna gas springs.

So these might work?

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/R16x64_Heavy_Load_Die_Spring-31136-p

I can't guarantee anything ofcourse, you'll have to try.

Can someone please explain how and WHERE on their site I can register for an account ? Since I cannot find ...

Just had a quick read, and no one has actually bought the R16 64 yellow springs, as they tended to go for the shorter ones due to having more "strength"!

Seeing as the Red R16 64 are the ones to go for, I might be tempted with a set of each. But first I need to get my boot auto delatching from the keyfob. Anyway near Trafford centre with vagcom or is this a dealer visit?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry everyone I am now confused.........

Are the red die springs (from bearing boys) the correct ones for a pd estate? Can someone who knows post the exact spring id number....Please?

This is a fantastic mod and the originator needs to be congratulated.

It particularly helps me as my boot lid doesn't always open enough to be free of the boot catch as my boot release switch doesn't work.

Thanks etc

Tom

• 3 months later...

They'll all fail if it's just a spring put on the piston. THey're not designed for that job. Tried many, many types, cold weather kills them all.

I replaced my dampers and added the red springs. Mine are still working fine even in the cold weather.

Sorry, yes, if you fit new or other dampers it should work fine, but what I meant was just adding springs won't cut the mustard.

Mind you, when it's colder, mine only pop up a little bit, but that's fine for me as I don't get dirty hands on the handle anymore. :)

Edited by blackspaven

• 2 months later...

Done this mod to my octavia but the trunk just pops 15-20 cm, it doesn't have enough power to push it all the way up.

I've got the blue springs, should I get new red ones or should I change the shocks?

The car has done almost 80000km