Oil and Filter change

Pete-n

On monday the the 7th my favorite car clicked into a 5 digit mileage yup it,s done 10,000 now so I decided that I was uncomfortable with the 20,000 mile longlife service on my new engine despite how good this car is.

When i arrived at work on tuesday I phoned my skoda parts people and ordered the oil & fuel filter plus a sump bolt and washer (I dont need oil as I have about 25 gallons on tap) , when it was delivered on the sameday I thought i'd do it once the customers cars where finished but untill today that idea went out the window (it shocks me sometimes how famine to feast the motor trade goes)

Today at 10,250mls I pulled the filters drained the oil cleaned all areas and refitted the whole lot but the reason for this post is that when I took the oil filter out of the trusty 140 tdi lump it was in a very poor condition very saturated and twisted on the elements as if it had done twenty thousand or so miles which makes me glad about my decision as from what I see today the filter would not have been doing much if anything in the next 10,000 miles so if you like your engine as I do consider a early oil and filter change.

P.s the fuel filter was perfect and could have been left alone and the air filter got thrown away months ago when I put a much better k&n panel element in.

Oil used 4.3 lts Comma longlife 5w-30 vag spec

Peter

Hi Pete n, Interseting to read your blog about oil and filter change. I have used K&N on my last car and kept it when I scrapped it. What's the code no. of the K&N and how accesible and easy was it to fit please?

On monday the the 7th my favorite car clicked into a 5 digit mileage yup it,s done 10,000 now so I decided that I was uncomfortable with the 20,000 mile longlife service on my new engine despite how good this car is.

When i arrived at work on tuesday I phoned my skoda parts people and ordered the oil & fuel filter plus a sump bolt and washer (I dont need oil as I have about 25 gallons on tap) , when it was delivered on the sameday I thought i'd do it once the customers cars where finished but untill today that idea went out the window (it shocks me sometimes how famine to feast the motor trade goes)

Today at 10,250mls I pulled the filters drained the oil cleaned all areas and refitted the whole lot but the reason for this post is that when I took the oil filter out of the trusty 140 tdi lump it was in a very poor condition very saturated and twisted on the elements as if it had done twenty thousand or so miles which makes me glad about my decision as from what I see today the filter would not have been doing much if anything in the next 10,000 miles so if you like your engine as I do consider a early oil and filter change.

P.s the fuel filter was perfect and could have been left alone and the air filter got thrown away months ago when I put a much better k&n panel element in.

Peter

Hi

The K&N part number is 33-2865 and it takes about 10 mins to fit , as you stand in front of the car looking in at the engine it's on the right hand side at the front sort of behind the right corner of the radiator all you need is a T25 torx bit and enough capability to undo and tighten eight screws.This cheap modification improoves the cars fuel consumption and throttle responce and costs about £40 & dont forget a K&N is a lifetime filter as it can be cleaned instead of replacing.

Peter

Edited by Pete-n

I really don't get this?

I put a K&N filter on a capri I had years ago and it definately improved the performance and was able to last the remaining life of the car. Distinctive induction roar though,

So why don't manufacturers use these filters as standard. I guess the paper filters are cheaper initially, but surely it would be greener to have the better economy and not need to replace it?

I can only presume there must be drawbacks unnacceptable to Skoda, eg noise, greate initial cost?

I am a frustrated lease car driver so mods like this or tuning chips are out of the question, would pefer them to be built in from new.

The pressuredrop across the filter may have a significant effect on a pure induction engine. I personally doubt it has any effect on a turbocharged engine - particularly not on a diesel, which always runs with excess oxygen in relation to stochiometric combustion requirements. The filter pressure loss is very small in relation to the boost from the turbo.

I do not know if the K&N filtration is as efficient as the stock paper filter. By using a paper filter, Skoda and other manufacturers are sure what the efficiency of the filter is when changed. They have no clue as to the efficience of cleaning the K&N filter. Some may do a good job and others may be sloppy.

In the Freelander Club several people changed to using K & N filters on their Td4's, and then had problems with the Air Mass sensors getting "oiled-up" from the oil on the cotton. Went back to standard paper and the problem went away.

You pays your money............

K&N claim to be within 99% of a standard filter for partical capture - but me being me I worry about the 1% - that seems like it could be a lot of material over an extended time.

Would this be an issue??

ernieb

Peter

The OEM filter has those twist in from new and every new one I've had has them too.

I didn't find the oil too bad, but I agree that it certainly won't hurt.

Nothing like the stuff that used to come out almost powdery in texture from a car at 6000 miles back in the day.

I'm of the opinion that that 1% makes a difference and just use regular paper changes.

Very fine (and abrasive) particles, such as the volcanic ash, would I think get through the K&N more than they would through the paper filter.

Edited by cheezemonkhai