1.2 HTP 60/70. Much difference on the road?

So impressed was er' indoors by the new fabias she has decided she wants one too. We test drove a 12v 70ps at weekend and were quite impressed. On the hunt around for a deal a dealer offered a 6v 60ps that they actually have in the showroom. He claims 'you would have to be the stig to tell the difference on the road' but I'm not so sure. The economy figures say to me, being worse than the 70ps, that 60ps is perhaps a touch too underpowered? It's use will be mainly commuting in traffic so motorway performance is not too critical but if it has to be worked quite hard just to keep up with traffic flow, it will spoil things a little. It may well be that for 'normal driving' the difference is not so significant as the difference between them on torque is negligable. If you want to 'give it some' though an extra 14% more power is significant. Your experiences or opinions please.... :thumbup:

So impressed was er' indoors by the new fabias she has decided she wants one too. We test drove a 12v 70ps at weekend and were quite impressed. On the hunt around for a deal a dealer offered a 6v 60ps that they actually have in the showroom. He claims 'you would have to be the stig to tell the difference on the road' but I'm not so sure. The economy figures say to me, being worse than the 70ps, that 60ps is perhaps a touch too underpowered? It's use will be mainly commuting in traffic so motorway performance is not too critical but if it has to be worked quite hard just to keep up with traffic flow, it will spoil things a little. It may well be that for 'normal driving' the difference is not so significant as the difference between them on torque is negligable. If you want to 'give it some' though an extra 14% more power is significant. Your experiences or opinions please.... :thumbup:

We had the same dilemma when making our decision. Dealer 1 was able to offer a test drive in the 60ps but not the 70ps model. He claimed that there was 'negligible' difference between the two engines. Given that we were about to spend a good few thousand we wanted to be sure that we got it right. Dealer 2 allowed us to take a back to back test drive in both models (unaccompanied) which gave us the chance to test properly without some dealer prattling down your ear while you're testing the car.

We found that the 12v 70ps model had slightly more pep and was marginally quieter (although that is very subjective) and subequently bought this one (from dealer 2). We've not been disappointed. Whether it's worth the extra cash is debatable and a lot depends on the type of driving you will do. I'd certainly try and test the two together if you can.

I'm quite happy with the performance of our car so far - decent power for a small car - capable of keeping up with all traffic both in town and on the motorway.

:yes:

Edited by bob19

The 70 is reasonable in normal use, but fill it up with passengers/luggage or show it a hill and the performance really suffers. I would think the 60 would be worse.

Andy

Being the owner of a 1.2 60, I would suggest you save yourself some money and go for the lesser model. I couldn't be happier with mine, I've done more than 10k miles in 8 months of ownership.

It's definitely not fast, but I've never found it to be desperately slow. It did feel a bit sluggish when new, but take your time and run it in nicely, and after a few thousand miles the engine performance improves vastly. Obviously, the 1.2 70 will always be slightly better, but I find it hard to justify 500 quid (or whatever the difference is) for 10hp.

You do feel the lesser model having to work a bit harder when fully loaded, but I wouldn't say it struggles. Economy does suffer though in this case, I have to admit.

Still, when I drive it alone in the car, I would go as far as to say that it feels quite lively. Cruising at 80mph is a doddle, fairly quiet as well. I've never had difficulty keeping up with traffic on any road, and I have found that if you are really sensible and drive like a granny not exceeding 60mph, it will do 480 miles on a tank!

You are right on that one Mike, but with the cost of the first year road tax included in the OTR price, it doesn't really change anything. It is worth noting though that for subsequent years the 70 will cost less to tax at £90 a year, compared to £110 for the 60, but then the 60 is in a lower insurance group.

Fuel consumption... Hmmm, you are right again, but it really is very marginal, according to the brochure at least. Less than 2mpg in it.

The difference between them of £500 or so is a considerable amount of money, and I believe it would be wiser to spend it on factory extras to make the car more attractive to buyers, assuming you will sell the car privately at some point in the future, to get the most out of it.

Just my opinion though...

Many thanks for the replies. I suppose to summarize, it does have a little more pep on the road but may or may not be that significant although some think so. The cost £500 is significant but I hadn't realised about the first year VED. So on vat free it is £426 less £110 1st year ved, that would be payable on the 6v brings the difference down to £316 additionally the VED will be £20 a year cheaper thereafter and there may be a tiny saving on fuel. The saving on tax after the first year and fuel will probably be cancelled out by the 1 group higher insurance so the question is, is the extra power worth £316. I think so :yes:

The 70 is the one I owned back in 06 for a few months. Having traded in a vRS for it (stupid I know), it felt desperately slow. :giggle:

In reality, the 3cyl is a good little engine. Neither are fast, but then they were never intended to be. I know I sound like I'm against them, but it's just that they aren't for me as I like my cars to have more go than that. For other people of course, they will be spot on.

Many thanks for the replies. I suppose to summarize, it does have a little more pep on the road but may or may not be that significant although some think so. The cost £500 is significant but I hadn't realised about the first year VED. So on vat free it is £426 less £110 1st year ved, that would be payable on the 6v brings the difference down to £316 additionally the VED will be £20 a year cheaper thereafter and there may be a tiny saving on fuel. The saving on tax after the first year and fuel will probably be cancelled out by the 1 group higher insurance so the question is, is the extra power worth £316. I think so :yes:

the 12v will be worth more when you come to sell it in the future making the £300 definately worthwhile and probably easier to sell.

I have the 70hp in an estate, Ive driven it to Spain loaded with luggage and it never once felt slow or struggled at all. Its nonsense to say that the 3 cylinder ever struggles, as long as you keep the revs up they are excellent. Ive driven it 4 up with luggage too and it still pulled well in 5th up hill. Its a lively little engine but it does suffer in economy on the motorway due to the lower 5th gear than the other Fabias. I bought mine over the 1.4 16v as it didnt feel much different. I think Skoda not offering the 60hp 6v in the estate tells how much less power 10hp realy is.

To be honest, if I were buying one right now Id seriously think about another 3 cylinder over the TSi engine too as the extra cash for those is considerable.

I have to agree with Lemon. The 1.2 70ps engine is brilliant and in many way comparable to the 1.4 four cylinder petrol unit in terms of everyday performance. It's also unburstable (as are all the motors in Skoda these days). The 60ps engine makes sense for many too, it's also a great little unit. But I think in the current climate the '70' would win it for me.

The 70 is reasonable in normal use, but fill it up with passengers/luggage or show it a hill and the performance really suffers. I would think the 60 would be worse.

Andy

i have no problems in mine going up hill fully loaded. It's faster than a 1.4 petrol grande punto, faster than 1.8 16v mondeo mark 1, faster than a focus 1.8 tddi

edit: this is based on being in those 3 cars. I hired a grande punto and my family had the other 2.

Edited by fabia55

• 2 weeks later...

It took a lot to sway me from buying a new VW (again!) but I took the plunge two years ago and bought the new Fabia 60bhp and never regretted it - I love this car! I'd previously had Polos but this car leaves them in it's wake. The only extras I specified were metallic paint and air con - a very wise move in my opinion. As for performance it's never faltered to deliver under almost any condtions. It pulls away smartly enough and sits happily at the legal speed limit all day. I say it's great under almost all conditions with one possible exception. I play bass guitar in a band and my car has to take on the role of a van at times! The amplifier alone alone weighs 47kg and this sits snugly in the boot - something that couldn't be said of the Polos. But you really can tell the difference with all the gear in. Pulling away has to be planned in advance and gaining speed takes a little longer than normal.

So unless you're regularly carrying a lot of weight around I'd have no hesitation in recommending a 60bhp model. Oh and when I finally part with this one I'll definitely be replacing it with another Skoda!

So unless you're regularly carrying a lot of weight around I'd have no hesitation in recommending a 60bhp model. Oh and when I finally part with this one I'll definitely be replacing it with another Skoda!

Apart from myself as a passenger, the car won't be carrying too much weight. The decision is made, the boss will be collecting her 1.2 70 next week.

Thanks for the replies everyone